Undignified Youths

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

0 comments

Creative Nonfiction Teens & Young Adult Speculative

"A beautiful evening, don't you think?", the old man delightfully asked as he made his way towards me.


Quickly turning towards his direction out of surprise, I stuttered, "Yes - it is". I was lost in thoughts before that moment. Many things were running through my mind. I have always been a lonely overthinker. It has been a habit which is quite impossible for me to desist from. Often, I soliloquize. On this very evening, it was all about the reason people behave the way they do, shamelessly and mannerlessly.

But, truly, it was a beautiful evening. I had been staring at the sky for over an hour, the environment was near quiet accompanied by the chirls of singing birds, barking dogs afar and the cool breeze blowing.


He held my shoulders while trying to settle down on the bench. Happily, he said " It's been a long time since anyone came to this park. I live just across the road, and would really enjoy seeing people come around. I was so glad when I saw you here from my house, so, I decided to rush down. Do you live around here?". He stared in my eyes with desperation for an answer.


"Not really. I am just visiting my grandparents. They live at the end of the road", I humbly answered.


"The Worthwells or The Roosevelts? Those are the people living at the end of the road, opposite each other ", he replied hastily.


"Worthwells", relaying with his speedy response. He did strike me as a someone with a loquacious personality.


"I do know everyone living in these streets but we all don't talk much despite our ages. It's understandable, we old people are getting weaker. I've been coming here regularly ever since I lost my wife. She'd always keep me happy and busy. She was the best person I ever knew. Now, I guess it's trying to get some peace and air that brings me out here. But when we were younger, things were different. This place was livelier. Kids playing together, some with their pets. Adults would seat together, share meals, joke until evening. The romantics would be out all evening trying to get the pretty girls. It was a difficult task but a fun one. And that was how most of us got our perfect brides. This was and still is the safest town in the country. People were happier. The technology has taken away true smiles from our faces and deprived the children of the beauty of being young. It really saddens me".

I saw a tear roll from his eye, I could see a lonely man who yearned for happiness. Sarcastically, he began laughing, rubbing the tear off his eye, " I am sorry if I'm disturbing you with my nonsense. It's been a long time since I talked about something meaningful with someone".


"No, it's fine". It was as though he read my mind. He was also seeing the defects in the younger generation - my generation, we need to do better. " I was thinking about the same thing. I blame the inconsiderate commercialists, who value money over the lives of people and the social media, an abstract deception taking away the essence of reality. The fear of reality and trying to escape it has led to the entrapment of souls in a virtual, meaningless world. Everyone is trying to prove to be a better person in anonymousity, in a place it doesn't really matter. There's nothing wrong with using the internet but it should be occasionally, not so regularly and for essential purposes".


He added, "I may not be a computer literate but I can clearly see that the internet is destroying our children and it's worse when the adults are not checking on the activities of their children, making sure they are not so addicted to these machines. Kids shouldn't even be having devices at very early ages. Parents spoil them with these things and later blame them for getting addicted to them and being disrespective to people. From what I have seen, I believe that just because of the virtual contact they have with people on this social media, they have forgotten about filtering the words they spit out their mouth. It has allowed them to talk rudely to people without being punished. This character grows in them and before you know it, they are disrespecting and insulting their parents.".


I responded, "What's worse is that, they are forgetting about the importance of the people around them, they try to solve all their problems and always share their life activities on the internet because of fear, sadness and depression, without acknowledging the fact that no one on the internet really cares and those who act as though they care, only want to see them drown. Some criticise people in reality, while doing worse, both online and in reality, because they feel they are better or different. Youths are selling their bodies on the internet for money and fame but they feel they are different from the prostitutes on the streets because of the difference in platform and approach". 


I sighed and asked inquisitively, " Do you have any kids?".


"Just one. Her name is Penelope, named after and just as beautiful as her mother", he smiles. "She is married and lives abroad but she calls me every now and then", he answered.


"That's nice".


"What about you? Are you a graduate yet? Any future plans?", he continuously asked.


"Well, I'm a final year student of Burton University, studying Animal Sciences. My parents and I live in Burton, not so far from this town. I spend at least one week every month with my grandparents. I'm the first children, having two younger siblings, both girls. And, if you are curious about my love life, I'm still single", I narrated.


"So as member of this downsliding generation, what do you plan to do to change this awful situation?", he asked.


"Sadly, there's nothing I or anyone can do. Everyone has his or her life to live and we must know how to make the best decisions in life. I am happy for those like me who are able to see through this illusion", I thoughtfully answered".


He looked into the view, gently smiling, then exclaimed, " I forgot to introduce myself. How stupid of me - My name is Andrew McAlec". He stretched forth his hand for a handshake.


Accepting the handshake, " Sylvester Worthwell. It was nice meeting you".


We stood and walked to the road.


"You're a good kid. I hope you make the best out of life. It's getting dark, the night's coming. You should be on your way now. Grandparents will get worried sick so easily. You shouldn't let yours get worried. Greet them for me", Mr. Andrew requested.


As I walked away, "I would do that. Thank you for the talk. Also, I think you should come over whenever you want to. Goodnight".

January 13, 2021 20:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.