Michael J. Fox saved my life tonight

Submitted into Contest #51 in response to: Write a story that begins and ends with someone looking up at the stars.... view prompt

1 comment

General

March 1986


“Can’t believe I’ve let you drag us out here Georgie. It’s bloody freezing and too cloudy. You won’t see a bleeding thing!”. That’s my mother. Always the optimist. This time she was right, however that didn’t bother my Dad in the slightest or stop him wonkily setting up his small telescope to try and get a glimpse of Halley’s Comet which was due to pass over us “any moment now!” which was what we were told whenever he was repeatedly questioned as to where it was. In fairness to Dad we could see some stars when the clouds broke, just not enough to keep any of us interested in the slightest. My brothers had given up long ago and were currently fighting, pulling at each other’s thick coats, whipping each other with their scarves and trying to climb the surrounding trees. The dog, the most sensible one of all of us by far had retreated to the van and soon after my mother followed her. I lay on my back on the thick woollen blankets Dad had spread on the damp grass looking directly up at the dark sky, trying desperately to make out the constellations that he was always pointing out to me. I never could see the patterns that he thrilled at, but I always nodded my head diligently and tried to follow along best as I could and remember the names.


“Jude I’m gonna climb up the hill over there. Should be able to get a better gander at her from there. Will you be alright here for a bit?” Dad hoisted his equipment bag over his shoulder and without waiting for my answer he headed off. I heard my brothers throwing sticks and shouting obscenities, and the soft strains of the portable radio from behind me, so I was content to stay where I was. I watched my warm breath hit the frigid night air and stretched out a bit like a star myself I started to drift off. 


“Jude.” His voice was like liquid pooling in my ear, and my head jerked up instinctively, eyes wide open and my heart pounding a tattoo in my chest. I turned my neck to the left and registered the strange man now sharing my blanket. I rolled over to my right, and tried to rise, to run, but my body just wouldn’t listen to my brain and I was scrambling for purchase on the blanket. “Please refrain from causing yourself an injury.” He was still on the edge of the blanket, unmoving from his position, yet his words were just as loud in my ears as before and for some totally unexplainable reason, I did exactly what he said. I stopped flopping around. I sat back on the heels of my wellies and looked straight at him just as unflinchingly as he was looking at me. He was handsome. Even at my age I knew that. He was what my mother would have called a hunk when she was drinking her Friday night box of wine and giggling in the living room with Auntie Janet. He had long dark hair which shone and curled over the collar of his shirt. Where was his coat? The thought stumbled haphazardly across my brain along with a few others, but all were gone and immediately forgotten when he smiled at me. I knew all about stranger danger of course. We had a policeman come to school to tell us all about all the nasty icky stuff in the world just before Christmas. Rule number one was of course don’t talk to strangers.


The smile grew “That is all right Jude, I completely understand you may have been informed by the authorities not to disclose information, but I will impart to you a secret. In this instance they are all incorrect.” He scooted closer to me and I continued to watch him intently but didn’t flinch. I know I wanted to move but I just couldn’t. I daren’t even blink. He stopped right in front of me, looking me right in my rapidly drying eyes. He reached out and straightened my pink bobble hat pushing my hair back into place at the same time. “That is much better, scruffy little thing, are you not?” he chuckled and at that moment I simultaneously felt the hairs all over my body rise and just a little bit of wee warming the front of my new jeans and running down my leg. It was comfortingly warm and to be totally honest at that moment, I didn’t even care. He sighed and raised a perfect eyebrow. “That is something I do not miss Jude. No, I do not miss it at all. Although I will tell you what I do miss. Conversation. Nobody wishes to discuss matters with me Jude. When realisation gradually dawns in pitifully small brains, they all just beg and plead, most tiresomely. Occasionally they are apt to soil themselves, sometimes worse. Not pleasant I am sure you would heartily agree.” He shook his head and grimaced slightly. “Anyway, you are most certainly not what I was expecting to have to deal with this night, but I am nothing if not resourceful Jude. I shall tell you what. You and I shall talk. Anyone, even one such as yourself is better than no one at all. This is the only thing that is going to save your soul tonight and in honour of the occasion if you deign to talk to me, and I gain enjoyment from your conversation, I shall also allow your seemingly undelightful family to keep breathing too.”


“Have you seen Back To The Future?” The first thing that came into my head and spilling out of my parched mouth was the film that my brothers and I were currently obsessed with. I’d seen it a gazillion times since Dad had gotten a dodgy copy from Uncle Dave the summer before. He grinned, showing perfect white teeth. “No. Please do tell me all about it.” So, I did just that. He seemed to enjoy my retelling of Marty McFly’s story, so I told him about my other favourite film Ghostbusters too. He reciprocated telling me all about Halley’s comet and the weather conditions the night that he had seen it the last time it had come around. He asked me a lot of questions and listened intently as I told him about my family, school, my dog, and my bestest ever friend Lucie and her nasty biting hamster Mr Nibbles. I asked him why he talked so strange. He looked at me funny but didn’t tell me the answer. Eventually, he turned his attention to the sky. It was beginning to lighten up and I knew Dad would be back soon. “Well Jude, I believe our enlightening exchange must now be concluded. Many thanks to you for regaling me with your cinematic experiences. My most humble advice if you would take it would be to refrain from handling Mr Nibbles anymore. I would also advise you most ardently that you request your Mater to take you to the local physician for a revitalising tonic forthwith.” I nodded at his advice. Made sense to me, sort of. He stood effortlessly and held his cold hands out to help me up and now I did not hesitate.     


July 2061

I arrived early. I wanted to make sure I was in the right place. It had been quite some time since I had last made the trek to the field. I wasn’t even totally convinced it would still be there. I shouldn’t have doubted though. Somehow, seemingly against all odds this place had survived, even with the thousands of houses that had gone up all around it in the years since, this slice of land was virtually unchanged. I cleaned my glasses on my sleeve and took a long look around. Nodding to myself that I was correct I set about my work. It took quite a bit of effort, and longer than I care to admit to myself or anyone else I managed to set up my camp for the night. I had brought the thick blankets, one of them was a survivor from that night. I spread them carefully in what I believed was roughly the same spot I was in all those years ago. The memory banks aren’t so hot anymore, along with the eyesight and the hearing, but I figured it was close enough. When I was finally happy, I settled down in my camp chair, even knowing that my back and legs would be complaining loudly tomorrow. As the sun lowered through pink clouds on the horizon, I began my wait.


It was long since dark and getting stupidly cold. I was chastising my utter foolishness in my head when he showed up. “Jude”. The voice still invoked ice in my veins, but this time I was somewhat prepared, so I managed to hide the small jump he had provoked. He sat down in the chair next to me and when he settled, only then did I find the courage to turn my head and look at him for the first time in over seventy-five years. As I had much expected he hadn’t changed. I’d had a long time to figure things out and I was quite pleased with myself that I’d come to the correct conclusion. His clothes were modern, and he wore them well. He studied me intently and I him. I can honestly swear that his face was the same. Not a line or mark in sight. He was still quite the hunk.

I was transported back through time and I didn’t need a DeLorean. I told him a little about my adventures in the intervening years. He was still ravenous for small talk although he didn’t disclose much information of his own. I imagined that was probably for the best. As the comet streaked the star packed sky above our heads, we both became quiet, turning our faces to watch it in joy and wonder. When it was out of sight, he smiled at me before standing. “You won’t be here for the next one Jude. I’m quite sorry about that. I’ll think of you then.” He extended his hand and we shook; he was so gentle as if he thought I might break. He left as silently as he had arrived. I stayed until dawn, thinking of my past and watching the stars.   



July 23, 2020 19:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

01:44 Sep 25, 2020

Hey, Julie would you be kind to watch the first video it's on Harry potter. https://youtu.be/KxfnREWgN14 Sorry for asking your time, This my first time to edit video

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.