2 comments

Sad Fantasy Fiction

It was the 18th of February. The 92nd anniversary of the discovery of Pluto. My mom always argued that Pluto is a planet. She loved space, and every year, on this special day, we would look through the expensive, high-tech telescope that she had bought so long ago to look at Pluto and other things.


It was the first day I was looking through the telescope without her. A few months ago, she became fatally ill. A few days later, she died without a diagnosis. Even after an autopsy and multiple scans of her body, nothing was found. I wish I knew what was wrong with her. I think I would feel better. I felt helpless when she died. I missed her so much, it hurt.


The loud, beautiful sound of the doorbell filled my ears. My mom had chosen the sound, a beautiful harmony of piano chords melted together. I rushed to the door and opened it.


"Small pepperoni pizza with a salad and a ginger ale?" the pizza guy asked.


"Yes, thank you."


He handed me the receipt, and his eyes widened when he saw the generous tip I left him. "Are you sure?"


I nodded. "Today is a special day for me."


He bowed his head slightly and left, getting on his bike and riding away. I sighed and closed the door, staying on my porch and sitting down on one of the sage green armchairs. The other one stayed empty next to me. I finished my food and checked my watch. 9:58. I looked through the old telescope and focused on Pluto. My eyes teared up, and I wiped my face, sniffing.


"How are you, mom?" I asked. A slight breeze ruffled my hair, and I pulled the golden brown locks away from my green eyes. I looked through the telescope, gazing at constellations and nebulae. 


Suddenly, I saw something moving in the sky, with no set pattern. It seemed to grow in size until I realized it was getting closer and closer. It landed in my front yard, smoking.


"What the…" I approached it cautiously. It looked like an asteroid. It had been cracked down the middle, and I was able to pull the two halves apart slowly. Inside was a small box. When I opened it I found a small, glossy clay figurine glittering in the moonlight. I gasped at its familiarity. It was Pluto. I cradled it to my chest, tears running down my face. 


"I wish you were here, mom." The figurine started to glow, and I nearly dropped it out of shock. A breeze, stronger than before, made me sway, and I stabilized myself. I walked back to my chair and sat down, feeling confused and disoriented. Did my mom's death finally get to me for real? Was I going crazy? 


I set the figurine on the chair next to mine. My surprises for the day were not done. The figurine was glowing even more than before, and the air started to shimmer around it. Then, a ghostly face appeared. 


"Mom?" I choked.


"Hello, my moonlight," she said, caressing my face. It left a cool feeling on my cheek. I tried to jump into her arms, only to pass right through her. She smiled sadly. 


"What happened?" I asked. I needed to know.


"I'm… not quite sure myself… I was asleep, and then I woke up."


"What do you mean, asleep?"


"It's hard to explain. It's a… bit of a weird feeling."


"Where were you? Before you got here."


"Pluto." she smiled.


"No way! What is it like there?"


"It's lonely. I keep searching for people but there's no one, it's just me all by myself." she replied, bittersweet.


As she was talking, I noticed her getting brighter, and I was filled with hope. We took turns looking through the telescope, gazing at different things and recounting memories. I was bursting with joy the whole time. I couldn't believe that my mom who had died just recently was sitting with me looking at the stars. 


"I never really told you very much about your dad, did I?"


"No. Just that he died when I was young."


"I met him while doing an internship with NASA. I was 16 and he was 17. We were both big space enthusiasts, and we got along immediately. We became very good friends and a few years later, we started dating. Our wedding was a year before you were born. We were thrilled."


"And? What happened to him?"


"The same thing that happened to me. He mysteriously fell ill, and died without warning," she said, her voice dropping as she said the last words. "But nevermind that. How have you been?"


"Pretty good. I got a job with NASA and I'm doing really well. My manager likes me and I should be getting a promotion soon. But the house hasn't been the same without you." I said, wiping my face again. 


"I've been here the whole time. A part of me stayed with you."


Suddenly, I felt myself getting angry. "You think you can just hit me with the 'I'm always with you?' As if we're in some kind of movie? You left me! You died! I've been all alone! All alone!"


"Please don't get upset. I'm sorry."


"No! Why can't you be here?" I flailed my arms wildly, trying to grab her. I started sobbing. "You shouldn't be apologizing… you didn't do anything wrong… I'm the one who should be saying sorry." She gazed at me, trying to brush my hair from my face. Another breeze came, this time blowing the hair away from my eyes. "I miss you so much," she nodded. 


"What I said was true. You'll see me on Pluto, and feel me in the wind, my moonlight."


The sky was getting lighter, and my mom was fading. 


"I have to go soon." she said.


"I know."


"Don't forget me, my moonlight."


"How could I ever? I love you so much."


"You have to let me go now. Promise you'll let me go?"


"I promise."


"Promise me one more thing."


"Anything."


"Always remember… Pluto is a planet."


I laughed as she disappeared. I kept both promises.


February 23, 2022 18:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Caleb Fitting
23:48 Mar 02, 2022

This story was very easy to get into, meaning the writing was clear and smooth and the descriptions and actions were easy to picture in my mind. The mood, tone, themes, and character emotions were also clearly portrayed which made it more likely for me to relate to the characters. Death of a close loved one does make for an engaging plot. In my opinion there was too much dialogue about two thirds of the way through. Also, the paragraph that began ""No! Why can't you be here?" I flailed my arms wildly...." - I wasn't certain who the speaker w...

Reply

Isabelle Lucien
17:07 Apr 16, 2022

Hello! Sorry for the late reply. I agree with what you said about the dialogue, that is something I am working on while writing. The speaker in the paragraph you are talking about was the narrator. Thank you for your feedback. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.