The strangest family secret

Submitted into Contest #55 in response to: Write a story about an old family secret surfacing generations later.... view prompt

1 comment

General

Ever get a strange letter while on your way to work one day with a wax stamp closing and your name written on the front? No just me today? Strange…

               Ms. Andriana D. Macklin

I walk to my bus stop and take a seat at the bench there was never anyone up this early so I was alone before the sun ever rose staring a milky white envelop in my hand I hold it up to the street light trying to see the content but it was no use the stamp was to big to guess anything more that a sheet of folded paper.

“To keep or not to that it the question.” I sigh placing it back in my lap my head following the action shaking on its way down. “Man, girl your lame.” I sigh again this time flipping the envelop over and study the seal, “Who does this anymore?” I ask out loud in a low tone it maybe early, but someone could walk by and think I’m crazy talking to myself even if I am in a secondhand pan suit and shiny heels. I sigh again,

“You should just check it out you know you want to.” I sigh internally this time if I don’t acknowledge it the thing will go away. ‘It will go away.’ I repeat in my head. “We both know you hear me, come onnnn, I’m curious, that strange man left it in your door last night and I’ve been dying to know what it says!” It start to laugh at it’s stupid joke, “Get it dying!” It or she slaps her wet jean leg then moves in front of me eye the paper. It is way to early for ghost I sigh and open it hoping it was making her leave but she has been following for four weeks and has been rather annoying.

‘Thank you for reading, you have been chosen to go on a week vacation on the Philippines islands, your works CEO has recognized all your hard work and hopes you enjoy your driver will be ready for you after your shift and will take you start to the airport have a wonder week.

                                                                                                                       Signature

                                                                                                                                               Edward F. Griffon ‘

“OOOOh va’ca! I need to buy a bathing suit” The ghost shouts. This one didn’t understand that she can’t leave her area of death yet.

This didn’t make sense I was a accounted I didn’t do anything to get a vacation, yeah I’ve worked everyday since I started working there five years ago and haven’t even had a sick day and had my fair share of over time here and there, but that doesn’t mean I need a vacation it was a great distraction focusing on the number and nothing else.

The day goes by in a blur I know I’ve talked to people, but I couldn’t tell you who or what it was about, but I know I had them. At five someone taps my shoulder and said there was a company car waiting for me at the front. I pack my things and head to the car bewilder at thee black Mercedes shining with a man in a suit waiting at back door. I can hear everyone whispering around me wonder what was going on. This is obviously not a company car and I am not going on a vacations but to hell. After weighing my life value, I shift my bag and get in. My mother was never the normal type and you better do as your told or else and I never wish to find out what her else will be now that I am grown women living on her own, that women is way to crafted in punishment.

The drive was long the sun had long pass set for the night the moon bright and big as it got higher in the sky. The old castle like mansion tower over the car as we drove up the stupidly long driveway. Finally I get out and go the door it opens as I reach it out grounds keep on the other side it seems he was leaving for the night I smile and wish him a good night he returns the pleasanter then leaves in the car that I arrived in. I head straight to the study.

“You know you could have been like; hey sweetie mom wants to see you I’ll be bring a car. Instead now my entry building thinks I have a thing with my boss and that something is going on. Which by the way is super weird cause I’ve never meet him.” I start the second I open the door not paying attention the fact she has another person in the room since her décor is as weird as her personality and her chair are large enough to hid the rather large gorgeous man staring at me with the most melting glaze. I shut my mouth with audible clank as my teeth crash together, my face flush.

“Well hello, nice of you to join us you’re an hour late, also this is Edward Griffon the CEO of Star digital advertisement and he is going to be your husband starting today. Or tomorrow once you are officially registered.” She smiles, I blink.

“What?”

“Trust me I’m just as surprised but it’s all here.” There was several old papers in a lose pill on her desk on top of an old yellow folder. “It seems that your great great great great grandfather promise that is first born female will marry his male heir and combine our families.” She sighs and rest her head in a hand holding up another sheet in the other. “Though it seems your dad side had great male genes since you’re the first girl and sadly this contract has our special insignia so we can’t back out no matter what or else they won’t go away.” She waves her hand motioning above her head as she talks about the ghost around us. I sigh.

“I’m going to bed.” Mr. Griffon gets up and follow me.

“I am Edward Griffon; I am very sorry you have to be mixed in my family problems you are a very hard-working women you don’t deserve our mess.” He say once we are out of the room, he had step in front of me with a hand stretch out. I look at him and his hand hen take it, with that small touch my heavy body from the ghost lift and I felt so good I almost sigh but when he does I stop myself I look at him once again his face is bright red and his hand gets warm. “Sorry, I’ve never new what it felt like without the weight.” He gives me a sheepish smile. He was nothing like I heard, for starts he looks to be in his mid-thirties and though his straight face is scary as hell right now he look a shy man with the cutest face when blushing I wanted to kiss it. I blink okay girl he’s cute but he’s your boss, and you fiancé until tomorrow when you get hitched. I remind myself.

“I’m…” I began but he shakes his head,

“Ms. Adriana Macklin started working for me five years ago with the best record filling and accountant we have who’s never had a day off or sick day since starting.” He smiles sheepishly then gets wide eye, “That was creepy, I’m sorry.” I smile,

“I assume you noticed the ghost stirring clear of us when we are near one another?” He nods, “Got curious on who I was right?” He nods again, “I was to there’s not much on you, you know?” I laugh,

“I like my privacy.” I look at our hands since they were still together.

“As do I.” I let go the weight returns a little but not to bad. “Shall I show you to your room for the night?” I ask he nods again and gestures for me to take the lead.

I woke up refreshed having him sleeping in the room next me keep the ghost outside the windows.

“Maybe marring him wouldn’t to bad if I can get some sleep.” I sigh as leave my room to get some food unaware that he was right there and heard me until run face first into his chest. I look up without stepping back so my noise rubs again the fabric my chin rest on him he smiles at me.

“I was thinking the same thing about you.” I smile when we touch, I feel like my whole body is flouting.

“You should sleep in my bed tonight.” The words left my mouth before I could catch them. I go bright red, “I mean we should sleep holding hands or something because it seems like the more connect, we have the firth they get.” That also didn’t sound right. I mental smack myself and sigh resting my head on his chest then jump when his arms wrap around me.

“You are cute when you get fluster.” I feel his laugh as it vibrates though his chest. “We’ll be married after today so it wouldn’t be that weird if we slept in the same bed. Come let’s go eat.” Still beet red I let him take my hand and pulled me down the stairs.

This is one of the weirdest secret my dad took with him to the grave, who would have thought that my reason for seeing ghost were because of some strange contract with a mysterious family and the only way to keep them at bay is another ghost magnet that just happens to be my boss. I sigh looking at the courthouse. ‘It’s now or never. Could be worst he could be a ugly monster with a hateful attitude.’     

August 19, 2020 20:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Ken Coomes
21:08 Aug 27, 2020

Well, the bones of the story are good, and the secret very strange and interesting. There are many punctuation errors, often leading to run-on sentences. And some of the grammatical errors make me think perhaps English isn't your first language. If that guess is correct, this might be a wonderfully perfect story in your native tongue. I'll try to be helpful by giving just two examples. You wrote this paragraph: "I walk to my bus stop and take a seat at the bench there was never anyone up this early so I was alone before the sun ever ros...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.