0 comments

Bedtime Fiction Suspense

It was a quiet, eerie night that left most unnerved by its silence. No cars were driving around, no people walking about, even the neighbors in the apartment next door were quiet and not fighting. It was a definite weird sensation to be held, making one wonder what was so different about that night than any other night?

Standing quietly, peering out into the darkness of the world was one Phayre Lark. Her long dark hair hung down her back, unkempt from her restless night's sleep. A thin silk robe wrapped around her body, hiding the t-shirt and shorts that she wore to sleep within. Her bare feet stood firm upon the cold wooden flooring of the apartment she shared with her goldfish, Tink. Even that night, no bubbles could be heard from the swimming fish leaving her dazed and left to her thoughts. Something was definitely off, but she couldn't put her finger on it.

Her eyes roamed the streets just outside, usually busy with rushing cars that were laying on the horn or people walking the sidewalks to their nearby destinations. Sometimes a siren could be heard as someone was arrested or being chased down for some obscene crime they had committed. However, that was not the case that evening as she looked back and forth slowly, her green orbs never leaving the outside world. A world beyond her window, beyond the inside of her apartment, a world she would not rather be a part of. In fact, she would rather just create her own little world right there within her own home.

A single street light flickered off to the side catching Phayre's attention. Her green orbs shifted to look at the faulty street lamp, flickering as if it were trying to get the attention of anyone inside.

Well, it had her attention.

Her arms crossed in front of her chest, weight shifting slightly as she finally tore her attention from the street lamp and let her gaze fall to the ground. She watched the floor and the way her feet moved as she shifted her weight from side to side. That was when her gaze was pulled back outside.

A single car had driven by the apartment building, catching her attention as it slowed and moved through the city. A little black Nissan that had little skull decals on the back window. Nothing like a little rebellious action to make anyone mad, especially parents who had probably bought the kid the car. A gentle chuckle escaped her lips as she Phayre moved one of her arms from where they were crossed and combed her fingers through her dark tresses to keep it from falling in front of her face.

A single orange tabby cat jumped from the alleyway, her eyes moving to follow its trail across the street and to the building across from her. A small boutique she had never entered, a place too expensive for her taste and too pink for her liking. On either side were small restaurants, the Cajun restaurant on the right was one she had frequented quite a bit. However, it had been closed the past couple of weeks and no one knew when it would be reopening.

Shaking the thought, Phayre moved away from the window, closing her curtains so no one could see inside. Her steps were careful, quiet, barely making any sounds as she crossed over towards her room. There was nothing left to see in the eerily quiet city. Midnight had come and gone faster than she could blink and it was another day the coming morning.

Climbing into bed, refusing to take the little silk robe off, Phayre laid her head gently upon her pillow. She stared at the wall for half a second before letting her emerald orbs drift shut, taking her off into an oblivious dream world. Somewhere she could create and disappear into until morning's light would wake her from a fitful slumber.

Even in sleep her mind was hectic, uncontrolled and running free. It was as if she could no longer slow it down, control what thoughts she needed and what thoughts she didn't. Her mind was chaos and the streets were her only solace when it became too much. To watch the people and try to figure out what they were up to, counting the cars that drove by to find out which was more popular than the other. Without that distraction, Phayre was left laying there with her eyes closed and sleep avoiding her like the plague.

Frustrated with herself, she rolled over and allowed her eyes to open once more. Another wall met her gaze, pictures painted by herself hung on every inch of the wall. Colors of blacks, red and pools of blue all mixed to create complex yet dark masterpieces that should be upon canvas, not the computer paper that she used instead. Her pieces captured the chaos that she felt within her mind on a daily basis, a chaos she would have preferred to silence much like the streets were that evening.

With a heavy sigh, the papers swaying ever so slightly as her breath hit them, Phayre forced her eyes closed and pulled the large forest green comforter over her body. She tugged it up under her chin and curled her legs up to her chest as if it would protect her from the thoughts that invaded her mind at every second. She remained restless, even as she reached, grasping for the sleep that she knew would never come. If it did, it would be there far too late and she would be left with another sleepless night. She would end up welcoming the morning, watching the sun rise behind the buildings once more if sleep did not blanket her that evening.

She could only pray that sleep came swiftly and that she wouldn't see the morning light that would greet her in only a few short hours. A morning she wished would wait only once so she could escape her chaotic mind and rest soundly without interruption.

June 12, 2021 01:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.