5 comments

General

dear diary

today mommy and i went to the park and got ice cream. it was fun

with love, 

Alicia Lorraine


Dear diary, 

I thought I lost you years ago. But now I found you so I can write in you again.

With love,

Alicia Lorraine 


Dear Diary,

You are my only friend. The kids at school started not to like me because they found out my daddys got a fancy business in town and we live in a big house. They say I am a snob and too rich to be their friend. I just want someone to be my friend. 

With love,

Alicia Lorraine


Dear diary, 

Today Mommy and Daddy had people over to our house. Not the normal kind of people like the maids or other staff but like a family who Mommy called her and Daddy’s friends. The nice couple had a son who came too. His name is Steward Manson. We went riding horses together then we came inside and Katy who is my nanny gave us ice cream. Then we played hide and seek. I won because I know all the good hiding places around here. Katy and some of the maids play with me all the time. 

With love,

Alicia Lorraine


Dear diary,

Stewy came over again this weekend. We skipped rocks in the pond and played Twister with Katy. After that we went to see the sunset like in the movies and play tag in the dark. Before he left he told me I was his best friend. I told him he didn’t want me as a best friend because I do not have any friends and everyone says my daddy is a snob or something. But Stewy said he’d be my friend. My very best friend forever and ever and I would be his. He is so sweet. 

With love,

Alicia Lorraine


Dear diary,

Stewy gave me a locket with his picture today for my ninth birthday. It is really nice. I don’t think I will ever take it off. Have to go to dinner now, Chef made my favorites including cheesecake for dessert.

With love,

Alicia Lorraine 


Dear diary,

Mommy took me shopping today and got me a fancy dress. It’s pink and has a big bow on it. Don’t tell Mommy but I don’t like it. She said it’s for a party we’re going to. It sounds really fun because it’s my first one and it’s at Stewy’s house. 

With love,

Alicia Lorraine 


Dear diary,

I can’t believe I’m writing in this again but Stew is still my only friend and I can’t talk to him. He asked me out on a date. Don’t get me wrong, I love Stew, but I’ve only ever thought of him as my friend. I just don’t know what to do! Help me. 

With love,

Alicia Lorraine 


Dear Diary, 

I was looking back on previous entries since I was thinking over the whole going on a date with Stew thing. Before that last entry I hadn’t written in this thing in  three years. I said yes to Stew by the way. He’s taking me to our dads’ company’s annual Christmas party. Bottom line, I either lose my best and only friend or actually like dating Stew? I’m thinking it’s going to end up with the first option, since I can’t fathom dating him. 

With love,

Alicia Lorraine 


Dear diary, 

Update on Christmas party, it was cancelled because the guy throwing it got sick. So, Dad had people over to our house so now the party's at my house. Mom said it would be okay, and I could still go on my date. I don’t think she understands that I don’t like parties in the first place or that I only want Stew as my friend. Have to get ready now, wish me luck.

With love,

Alicia Lorraine 


Dear diary, 

After months, I finally told Stew I didn’t want to be his girlfriend. He got mad at me, and I got mad back. I yanked the locket off my neck and threw it at him. I feel awful, but I’m not going to apologize. Dad made me do a fake sort of apology to Steward in front of our families because Steward’s dad was upset with my dad and didn’t want to do business. I’m in trouble now. When Mom told me that I had to do it, I told her I didn’t want to and yelled some other not nice things. Dad’s business is back on track. At least that’s good.

With love,

Alicia Lorraine 


Dear diary,

Mom transferred me to a private school outside of the city. The school Steward goes to. The kids here don’t bully me quite as bad because most of our parents are businessmen that work together. It’s okay. Steward still doesn’t like me, by the way. I’m not sure I like him at all anymore. Maybe things will get better.

With love,

Alicia Lorraine 


Dear diary, 

Things didn’t get better. And I’m not going to get caught writing in a diary because it’s so childish for an eighth grader.

With love,

Alicia Lorraine 


Dear diary,

My therapist told Dad that I have to write in this thing for fifteen minutes a day. Ha, great. A minute for every year I’ve lived. So now, I have Katy watching me from across the living room while I write in this stupid thing. Since I have a while to kill I guess I should write something like a story. Or maybe why I go to a therapist. Or what happened to Mom. But I’m not doing that. Wait, the doorbell is ringing. Someone has come to my house. I’m actually saying this out loud and Katy is looking at me weird while I narrate this eventful afternoon. Now Katy is looking at me telling me to shut up. Okay, now I’m not talking. I can’t see Katy or the door, so I’ll just listen. 

“Hi, is Alicia home?” Oh dear lord it’s Steward. 

“Yes she is. Come this way.” Oh wow, thanks a lot Katy. Ugh! So Steward ignores me at school and now he comes to visit me at my house. Actually, why the heck is he here? I haven’t spoken to him in at least two years. He must’ve heard about mom. . .

   Okay, so update on what happened. Stew’s gone now. Anyway, he brought flowers for me, (Super cheesy) and apologized for being rude these last few years. And about my mom. He asked if I could forgive him, and offered me the locket I threw at his face. I said I needed to think about it, but I accepted the locket.

With love,

Alicia Lorraine


Dear Diary,

Since I’m guessing you didn’t know this already but I’m nineteen today. I started college a few months ago. Added a new promise ring to join my locket in the chain around my neck. Anyway, I’m studying math at college because I want to be a math teacher, and you know what that means? Yep, my father hates me. He owns a publishing company, and wanted me to work for him. But I have a job and I’m working my way to college, and Stew is my awesome boyfriend. Things are looking up from when Mom died. I never told you about that. Did I, Diary? No, I guess not. Well, my mother died in a car crash when I was fourteen years old. I became angry, and that worried my dad enough to the point where he got me to go to a therapist. I understand that he does care about me, even if he’s leaving me out on my own in the world. I kinda like it actually. It makes me feel like a real person. 

With love,

Alicia Lorraine


Dear Al,

I’m writing in your diary. You haven’t written in it in about three years, but I want to leave a message that maybe someday you’ll see. Even though we graduate soon, and are going our separate ways because I’m going back to work for my dad which is a place you will not be anywhere near having told your father you didn’t want to work for him, and you’re going to break up with me tonight. (Yeah, I know. Your friend, Ash, told me.) Anyway, I’ve known since I was seven years old that I was going to marry you, Alicia Lorraine Walters. I knew that our parents would probably try to match us up regardless of our feelings, but you have been my best friend since I met you. Even though we drift apart from time to time because life throws curveballs in our faces, we will always be soulmates, and even if I never see you after graduation, I will always love you. 

Forever and always,

Stew 


Dear Diary,

At twenty seven years old I was going to get married. Yes, a man named Jeremiah who loves me for who I am and made me a better person. But I need to find my best friend because he is my best friend, and he believed in me when no one else did, and-I am losing valuable searching time by writing this love declaration. Have to go find the love of my life, see you soon. 

With love,

Alicia Lorraine 


Dear Diary,

Today, Vivian Charlotte Manson was brought into the world. It still doesn’t sound right to say that I have a daughter of my own, but it’s true.

With love,

Alicia Lorraine 

April 08, 2020 03:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Unknown User
15:37 Apr 16, 2020

The character writing in association with her age was a great beginning. I have a hard time thinking that she only ever wrote about Stew. What happened to her mom and why wouldn't she put that down. This over 19 years of life and I think it is a bit narrow in information. The entry from Stew is clever.

Reply

Libby Carter
18:41 Apr 16, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeremiah Cornett
02:33 Nov 11, 2022

This sounds familiar...please reply....its been a while

Reply

Show 0 replies
C.J Dunstall
03:33 Feb 12, 2021

OMG, OMG, OMG! I love Love LOVE it! Ur such a talented write. I love how the... umm... Grammar? We'll call it wording. I love how that changed with the ageing of Alicia. Ur a great writer.

Reply

Libby Carter
13:05 Feb 12, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.