8 comments

General

It seemed like Jo had been here forever – the old cliché was true apparently about time passing ever so slowly while you are waiting for something. Deep breath, deep breath, relax.

She checked her hair, her make-up – all good. Making a good impression was critical she thought. 

Jo had received the call and was expected to arrive promptly. She would receive further instructions at the appropriate time. No time to settle things where she was now, just go. 

Intriguing, she thought. They must think she’s up to the challenge or they wouldn’t have called. Would they fill her with hope only to let her down? She doubted it.

Butterflies wouldn’t leave her stomach she was that nervous. Deep breath, deep breath – relax. She’d looked at all the reading material and even the signs around the waiting room; now it was just a question of waiting.

How much longer?

There were others in the waiting room where she was too, but each was in their own little world; there was no conversation, no eye contact. Did they feel as nervous as Jo? More than likely – they were probably not told anything either; just to be on time. The sun was shining brightly through the trees and she could hear happy little chickadees singing – that was a promising sign she thought.

The guardians tried to prevent her from even applying; tried to squash her fragile sense of self but she didn’t listen to them. Jo was determined and when Jo put her mind to do something; she did it! The guardians made sure her basic needs were met but they were so unlike her she couldn’t relate to them, or them to her. The only thing that kept her going were her thoughts and getting out of whatever place she was in now.

Oh, the things she could do if she succeeded. Solve the world’s problems, make everyone happy, bring world peace… okay, maybe that was all a bit ambitious – she would do what she could if she succeeded. No, when! Be positive she told herself. She had to believe in herself before she could make anything a reality.

Jo thought about the one thing that brought her comfort and joy – water. She loved the water – she could spend time there after this was over and get back to herself. The ocean, a waterfall, a gentle stream; she felt at home in any of these places. It felt like a definite connection – she and the water were one. It was a bond that could never be broken; one that felt like family ties. That was weird thought, so she wasn’t going to share it with another soul, just keep it to herself.

The waiting room she was in had stark white walls and metal rimmed chairs with white cushions lined up in four rows – one lonely fern was by the sign in desk – no television, no noise except when those waiting were called in. The fern was the only thing in the room with any color, even the intercom was white. Strange. Perhaps it was supposed to be an atmosphere of purity, but instead conveyed starkness, an uncaring, sterile environment. 

One by one the room cleared of people. The only thing that scared her? They didn’t come out. There must be another door – that would be the only thing that made sense. While she was waiting, she tried to figure out which order they were being called in. Was it when they arrived? Alphabetical? By category? Height? There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to the selection process. Maybe she supposed she was not supposed to figure it out.

Deep breath, deep breath – relax.

Aha – she had an electronic game with her – addiction solitaire. That would help the time pass quickly. Eagerly she pressed the start button. A text message came on the screen “low battery” – she didn’t believe it! What now? After several minutes of problem solving she remembered there were the same type of batteries in her portable CD player that she kept with her. Another problem solved – the game worked. 

Jo looked up – there were ten people in the room now – surely it would not be long before she was called. Back to her game. The odds of winning were very, very slim but she kept persevering. It was lots of fun to try.

The sun went behind some clouds, an eerie darkness surrounded her. Nonsense thought Jo. That was just her imagination – the sun would come back out again in a little while. Focus on the positive, focus. And be patient – her turn would come.

Down to five now – unbelievable. Tired of the solitaire game she had taken to counting the leaves on the tree outside the window. Go away butterflies she told herself. Deep breath, deep breath, relax. A better future awaited her; she had learned so much and was not about to forget any of it.

She was grateful to the guardians but wanted out and wanted out fast. She was glad the opportunity presented itself. It was down to one more trial – the one she was waiting for. Her name would be called and then…

There was no one else in the room – stillness, stagnation. This must also be a test of her determination. They must be watching from a two-way mirror. Deep breath, deep breath, relax.

Okay Jo, we are ready for you now, please come with us. She was directed to follow two figures clad in white. White again, thought Jo – a little color wouldn’t go amiss. Not to worry – she had on her turquoise shirt and navy pants – enough color for everyone in the room. But was it a room? Her new surroundings looked more like a cave than a room. Stone walls, dampness, glowing torches, and a figure in green at the end of the room.

Hello Jo, are you ready to go back to earth? We have the perfect body for you. You will be a beacon of light for all who meet you. Congratulations! Oh, the only stipulation we have is that you will not remember your time in heaven. Do you agree?

Jo nodded – she was desperate to get back to the water. Who would she be this time? All she could do was trust the process and hope. A little voice inside her said that she would remember this "pre-birth" time if at all possible.

July 05, 2020 13:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Claude Bonorchis
09:28 Jul 22, 2020

Made for fascinating reading and the ending encompassed an intriguing revelation.

Reply

Debbie Teague
23:00 Aug 06, 2020

Thank you so much; glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bipasha Mandal
11:33 Jul 16, 2020

Very interesting ending! The narrative beautifully captures the sense of waiting. I caught myself smiling when the concept of the story hit home:)

Reply

Debbie Teague
21:37 Jul 21, 2020

Happy to bring a smile to you Bipasha - I was trying to put an unexpected but pleasant ending in the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
03:53 Jul 16, 2020

Heya! I'm here for the Critique Circle. This story has been crafted really beautifully. The ending is definitely a cherry on the top. Lovely!

Reply

Debbie Teague
21:36 Jul 21, 2020

Thank you Batool; I enjoyed writing it. I try to write stories that I would like to hear.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Roshna Rusiniya
07:58 Jul 10, 2020

Beautifully written story with a unique concept. I liked your descriptions about the waiting room and the twist at the end.

Reply

Debbie Teague
12:12 Jul 12, 2020

Thank you Roshna.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.