DANCING IN THE RAIN

Written in response to: End your story with someone dancing in the rain.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

Rubi Isle is not of planet earth but of earth’s twin planet tellus about 800 years younger, evolving. Zygos was contiguous territory ruled by its queen. The prosperity of the kingdoms was largely due to agriculture. Good relations existed between the two kingdoms.

That year it so happened there was a severe drought in Zygos. The queen called a meeting of the concerned to discuss the issue.

A farmer said “The drought has occurred over 2 consecutive seasons. We’ve suffered severe losses.”

The queen asked the chief witch Wizma – an old woman - who was present to give her views. Wizma said “It has nothing to do with stellar influences. It is said that when forces of evil have grown oversize the rain god takes vengeance and withholds rain.”

The queen said “Wizma you had no doubt advised me about it earlier and I had taken action against pirates, robber gangs, brigands and so on. Still there is no rain. What do you say now?”

Wizma said “Your Excellency since there is still no rainfall I suggest that we bring the hermit Stix from RI into Zygos. He is embodiment of virtue at age 18 and is a stickler to the moral code. He has been trained by his father Matrix who runs a hermitage. It is said even the father respects the son for his wisdom and virtues. Stix entering Zygos will surely bring rain and end the drought.”

The queen said “I’ve also heard of the virtues of Stix. Let us get him to Zygos.”

Wizma said “Matrix has decreed that Stix shouldn’t leave RI. At best he can be lured into our land using woman power.”

The queen said “I understand. We could perhaps make Roxy do the needful.” Roxy was a dancer and the national beauty at 16. Her face was charming and her body was ripe and ample enough to tempt a saint!

The queen asked “Chief Minister what is your opinion regarding getting Stix into Zygos?”

CM said “I’ve heard a rumour that Matrix was planning a pilgrimage to a mountain top in far territory. I can confirm it. With him out of the way, Stix can move. Wizma can persuade Roxy in the matter considering it a national emergency.”

“Find out details and report to me. Wizma, you must persuade Roxy.”

After a few days, CM spoke to the queen: “Matrix is scheduled to set out on the difficult pilgrimage in a week’s time with all his disciples. He would be away at least 3 months.”

The queen said “Then proceed on getting Stix here. Roxy has agreed to enticing Stix”

CM said “I’ll inform RI authorities that Roxy would go there to get spiritual enlightenment from Stix and she should be given all help.”

After Matrix had set off, the hermitage was empty except for Stix. Food would be sent to him from elsewhere.

RI authorities made arrangements to house Roxy in a hut in the hermitage and for food to be served to her. Besides, Melli, a middle-aged housewife , was appointed to be at Roxy’s service.

When Roxy arrived at the hermitage of Stix, Melli received her and led her to her hut. She introduced Roxy to the saint. Roxy saw the handsome unshaven youth and was instantly smitten with love for him.

Roxy said to Stix “Your holiness, I’m a simple dancer and have no spiritual knowledge. I need to be educated on spirituality. I await your instructions.”

Stix said “We’ll have a two hour session everyday at convenient times. I shall try to help you to understand the meaning of life, besides difficult issues regarding life and its pitfalls and temptations. I’ll start instructing right now.”

Roxy noted that after introduction, Stix clamped on eyeshades, to blind him to her presence. She felt it would be difficult to tempt Stix. On the other hand she found his instruction very easy to understand and to follow. Afterwards she would sit in her hut revising in her mind the concepts he had dealt with.

 Instruction continued for two weeks always with Stix wearing eyeshades. Then the sessions got longer as the disciple had started seeking clarifications and had initiated disputations on various themes. Roxy felt Stix seemed very impressed with her as she proved a sincere learner. Probably due to it and enhanced familiarity, he cast off the eyeshades after 4 weeks and started looking at the disciple as he dealt with her.

Meanwhile the queen sought details from CM on how Roxy was progressing with Stix.

The CM said “Your majesty, Stix was instructing Roxy with eyes blinded by eyeshades obviously to immunize him from temptation. Roxy’s escort is Melli and she has been reporting faithfully to me. Roxy has learnt much from Stix and she has become a disciple. She has become indifferent to allurements and appears an enlightened soul. Stix is very impressed with what she has learnt and has just taken note of her as woman. It remains to be seen if she will become a follower and stay on or inveigle him into Zygos.”

The queen was angry and said “We send her on a mission to entice the saint and she becomes a follower! Remind her of her duty to Zygos.”

“I will send her a message.”

Meanwhile Stix was growing conscious of Roxy as a woman. One day he said to her “You look beautiful.”

She said “My enlightened self is shiny. I’ve been transformed by you.”

He asked “Did you really come to be my disciple?”

“I can’t lie to you. I’ll tell you the truth.” She told him.

“You’ve come with a purpose but are reneging on it. It is wrong. How can you compromise on your conscience ?”

“I see your point. Will you accompany me to Zygos?”

“I will but you haven’t enticed me.” She was silent. He thought a bit and said “While my spiritual knowledge is vast my physical knowledge needs to be upgraded in entirety. I’m sure you understand. If you can provide it I’ll go with you to Zygos.”

“Wouldn’t it be impure instruction?”

“No. It will be one way of repaying what you owe to your guru for spiritual enlightenment.”

“I cannot deny you what you seek.”

That day while Melli was absent there happened what can normally happen between a man and a woman. Stix looked at delightful things Roxy showed in her, discovered her charming hidden places, and how to attend to and activate them. With her total cooperation his lips sought her succulence and his hands groped for what his eyes earlier possessed and he did those things which follow such explorations.

Afterwards Stix said “Now I’m your slave. Order me and I’ll do whatever has to be done.”

Stix and Roxy soon entered Zygos and lo and behold! within hours the skies darkened and rain started falling. Soon it fell in sheets and people were dancing in the rain!

END

NOTE: I have borrowed the Hindu myth of rishyasringa for this story.


August 22, 2022 08:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.