0 comments

Mystery Suspense Thriller

Harry. Hey Michael, I have received a call from Sarah, Mark is dead.

Michael. Is she the daughter of Mark?

Harry. Yes she is and she believes that his father was murdered by someone they knew and trusted for a long time and she wants us to handle her case because it can get a bit tricky for the officials. She was hardly holding her tears.

Michael. And you have called me, so I guess that I’m the one who is investigating a millionaire’s murder case?

Harry. Yes Michael, will you please? I’m not giving you any pressure, just investigate and tell me whatever you find suspicious and you know that I’ll be at your back whenever you need me.

Michael. Okay Harry. You know that I cannot argue with you because during an argument you become my Bose and I’m your assistant but I hope that work never shatter our friendship.

Harry. I know that it never will. Sarah told me about Thomas, you might get some help from him, and you will get the address.

Michael. Okay Bose, I’ll try not to bother you.

(At the crime scene i.e. Mark’s house)

Sarah. That must be you Harry, I’m Sarah.

Michael. I wish I was him but I’m not. I’m Michael, his assistant and partner too.

Sarah. Oh! I assume that Harry must be busy somewhere or he is just being rude or maybe he is not giving attention to this.

Michael. No, it is just a situation binding him away from this case moreover he likes to work in background totally away from the spot light.

Sarah. Its fine I guess, I think that you would like to see Thomas; he will be helping you throughout the investigation. And I think that your report will console me.

(Calls Thomas with a hand gesture)

Sarah. Thomas he is Mr. Michael, he is assigned by Harry to search this case.

Thomas. Hello sir Michael, greetings of the day.

Michael. Don’t take me as rude but I don’t think it is the right time for this small talks, instead I would like if you take me to the place where it all happened.

Sarah. That is exactly what I have been thinking, Thomas take him straight to the orchard. I won’t accompany you, the sight frightens me.

Thomas. Come sir, follow me to the site. And Sarah everything is going to be fine.

(They both start moving towards the orchard and talks while walking)

Michael. Is the body still warm, Thomas?

Thomas. Not sure about now, but it was an hour ago. The death could have happened anytime between 1 to 2 hours ago.

Michael. Do you or Madam Sarah have any suspicion on anyone?

Thomas. Well not really but absence of Peter makes him prone to our doubting also he shares a history of frequent quarrels with Sir.

Michael. Who is Peter? And Mark was a millionaire why did he not replace Peter if he was a cause of regular quarrels?

Thomas. Peter’s father has been an integral part of Sir’s company and inheritance made him a stake holder of the company. Despite I being the CEO of the company was never allowed to take a decision without seeking Peter’s permission and his decisions would often contradict with those of mine and Sir Marks’.

Michael. Even if I believe what you say is true, then too it does not justify that Peter can kill Mark.

Thomas. See, there the body lies cold and blue, as it appears to me.

(They stop a few yards away from the body)

Michael. We should now call the hospital after I’m done with the scene. We will have a private autopsy of the body so we can get a report and that too hidden from police or else it will get public attention and it will surely make it difficult for us to work.

Thomas. But, um, I was thinking if police can help us move faster.

Michael. We don’t need to move faster we just need to be precise and police will distract us.

Thomas. As you say sir but you should tell Madam about it.

Michael. Yeah! Definitely, I’ll talk to Sarah about it after we get out of here and besides no need to call me sir.

Michael. Now you may go or stand at a distance, stay I would say.

Thomas. Yeah, I’ll stay here, I will be at that table, call me if you need something.

(Michael examines everything and takes photograph, he take notes of the scene)

Michael. (Taking notes) 1. Orchard full of trees and bushes, scenery indeed. 2. Body lies in a contracted position, seems like he crumbled to death, it was not a sudden demise. 3. I see no marks on body, and no blood, must be a case of poisoning. 4. I don’t see any camera here. What else should I note, 5. His eyes open and 6.finger appear towards the exit or maybe I’m just assuming.

(Harry calls Michael)

Michael. Harry I was about to call you, I don’t think you will need to trouble yourself.

Harry. Ooh why is that so?

Michael. You told me about Thomas and I met him here. He told me about a stakeholder of Mark’s company, Peter; he is not present at the scene where he should and he was often found quarreling with Mark.

Harry. Try to get Peter in custody and I’ll know if he is the one.

Michael. The death seems to be happened 3 hour ago, at 8 in the morning, maybe and I don’t see any marks so should we have an autopsy?

Harry. Yes, and go untraced. I will see you in evening; give me a brief of a detailed report. Take statements of Thomas and Sarah.

Michael. Yes, I’m on it. See you at office.

(Thomas comes near Michael as a lot of time has passed)

Thomas. Are you busy on your phone? Madam will not like this.

Michael. No, I was on call with Harry. Why did you bother to come here?

Thomas. You took a lot of time; I thought that you must have found something very interesting that kept you engaged.

Michael. Nothing of that sort, in fact I found almost nothing.

Thomas. You say almost nothing, what have you found then?

Michael. No solid proof but it appears as if Mark was poisoned, either an external or internal poisoning.

Thomas. And what else

 Michael. Nothing much really, but can you tell me about any security camera here.

Thomas. We do not have any cameras here.

Michael. What, a millionaire’s house with no cameras?

Thomas. Just this orchard have no camera, Mark wanted this place to be away from the human eyes, no electricity too. Here, in the orchard only lie the trees, bushes, table and chair.

Michael. How often did he come here?

Thomas. Daily without a doubt.

Michael. Did Peter accompany him here?

Thomas. Frequently.

Michael. And what about you?

Thomas. Ooh me? I was like an assistant of Mark rather than a CEO you can see me anywhere with him.

Michael. And who else can come here?

Thomas. Not many, Sarah can and just a few others.

Michael. Why Mark came here so often?

Thomas. He had walks and ate fruits plucked by him. He would often grab any fruit that appealed to him on his way back and then eat them while sitting at the table.

Michael. Did he ever bother to ask you?

Thomas. Yes, he often did. I think that this many questions should be enough.

Michael. I don’t think so but if you say lets gather more answers. Call the city hospital and ask them to send an ambulance and get an autopsy done, as soon as possible.

(Thomas does the same)

(Later at Sarah’s room)

Michael. Thank you Thomas, now you can leave us.

Sarah. Is that necessary, Michael?

Michael. Absolutely, I want to have a fully confidential conversation of you.

Thomas. It is fine Sarah, I’ll wait downstairs.

(Thomas leaves them.)

Sarah. What is this important that you have to talk to me in private, Thomas was a man of trust.

Michael. Was Peter not?

Sarah. What do you mean by he was? He still is a trust worthy friend of mine and a partner of my dead dad.

Michael. You don’t doubt Peter?

Sarah. Certainly not, And why should I? And how come you know about him, he is not even here.

Michael. That is the first reason to doubt him, shouldn’t he be here instead of being in a place where no one has reached him, despite trying for hours now. Maybe it is intentional and not coincidental.

Sarah. Maybe it is not intentional, and only because he is not here doesn’t mean that he is the one who did this.

Michael. This is actually not the only point we have got to suspect him.

Sarah. What else?

Michael. Thomas informed me he had quarrels with your father, quite often he said.

Sarah. He had, I agree, but they were not for his personal interest but for the benefits of company.

Michael. Ok if you say so, but still he knew your father well and taking the company can be his desire that of which he spoke to no one. Killing your father or any way getting your father killed should be the easiest path to owning the company right away I assume.

Sarah. Do I not have the rights to his possessions?

Michael. Oh that you have but company is not his sole firm but a partnership firm, I’ll go and check on their rule book if I find anything specific on this matter. But even if you get the place of your father, then too, I think that you will not have a voice as strong as of your father.

Sarah. I can’t argue on that, I just I want you to know that I want the killer of my father to be punished.

Michael. Okay, I’ll get to you tomorrow after I talk to Harry, today, meanwhile keep an eye on Thomas, and also inform me if he is upset after I asked him to leave us alone.

(Michael take Sarah’s leave and goes to office)

Harry. Hey Michael, did I keep you waiting for too long?

Michael. Too long for me, but I’m guessing it is not so long for you.

Harry. I’m really sorry for this.

Michael. No you don’t need to be. Not for now at least, see this report.

(Harry reads the report, after 15-20 minutes)

Harry. Whatever it says questions Peter. The thing that put him in doubt is that he knew the orchard. He visited it frequently and in addition with Mark. He knew Mark’s behavior in orchard, he must know his walking pattern, eating pattern and sitting pattern over there.

Michael. The post mortem report will be made available to us tomorrow. Rest is in front of you.

Harry. It is okay, everything, but he is a man of trust, said Sarah. Do we have to distrust him?

Michael. It’s your call, boss. But my friend Harry, it is just a suspicion and we have to suspect somebody to keep the case going.

Harry. Tomorrow I’ll get the autopsy report and you Michael, just go and find Peter, anyway.  

Michael. If I find Peter, it is not even a case; it will be solved as easy as it opened.

(Michael leaves and Harry keep reading the report and looks at the photographs)

(Michael found Peter and took him into custody the next day)

Peter. It is nowhere near what you do believe it to be. It is not me.

Harry. Is that so? Then tell us what is near our suspicion.

Michael. Where have you been since the death of Mark?

Peter. I was away, for a camping tour.

Harry. Since when?

Peter. For three days.

Michael. Just a day prior to the tragedy, it seems so normal to me.

Harry. Michael, what was about the quarrels?

Michael. Someone informed me Peter about your regular quarrels with Mark; ego killed Mark if not Peter.

Peter. Yes, we had quarrels but neither of us took it personal. At the end of the day, we were just uncle and nephew as we were each morning at the orchard.

Harry. You accept that you went to Orchards with him regularly?

Peter. Why would I deny a truth?

Harry. That must be how you knew what fruits he liked and poisoned them.

Peter. I do not understand a single word of what you both are saying.

Michael. We mean to say that you are the one who poisoned Mark.

Peter. No, that’s not the truth. Why would I do that? I always admired him; he was like a mentor to me.

Harry. It’s enough of this discussion, I have called Sarah, she must be on her way, and she will find a suitable punishment for the crimes you have committed.

Peter. At least tell me who told you this shit.

Harry. We have had enough information to doubt you and only thing I have got to say you morally is that she trusted you, Peter. Sarah always trusted you.

(Sarah arrives after a few minutes.)

Sarah. Michael, where is Peter?

Michael. Come with me.

Harry. Sarah, here he is.

Peter. Sarah, trust me, all of these allegation are just a bunch of lies. I deny them all.

Sarah. There is nothing left to hear anymore, I argued with Thomas when he told about his suspicion on you, but there were enough proofs to settle the dispute.

Peter. If you give me just one more chance Sarah, I can prove myself innocent. You know this, I can never do this. And what do you think I’ll get, his position in the company will be yours now and not mine.

Sarah. You sure you don’t get his position in the company?

Peter. I’m damn sure about this Sarah. And only person who gets advanced in his position will be a person you trust and your father trust.

Harry. They trusted you, didn’t they?

Peter. They did but due to my absence and my quarrels I was in direct suspicion, someone else has done it to throw the mud on me.

Sarah. Harry and Michael I do find a point in his words. The person I think would benefit most from this is Thomas.

Harry. How could he benefit, he is a mere employee?

Peter. He can, Sarah would trust him in all his decisions in future and he also own a small share in the company as its CEO. He can increase his worth.

Michael. Harry, Thomas may be the guy we never assumed him to be. He never showed his suspicion but directly blamed Peter.

Harry. We have really messed up, now let’s clean it all.

December 18, 2020 17:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.