THE UNPREDICTABLE JOURNEY

Submitted into Contest #204 in response to: Write a story about someone undertaking a long, dangerous journey.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure Mystery Romance

It was brass-monkey weather around Matterhorn Mountain in Switzerland. The trees, ground, and houses were covered with a white blanket of snow. The battering gusts were awful. When both members of the carriage decided to take some rest, the carriage breaks with high force. 


The place was crowded with hundreds of people. Some of them were sitting around small tables in groups of four with cups of tea, showing the steam from the tea. A beautiful couple an old lady and an old man were selling bread and cheese. The children were busy playing hide-and-seek games by surrounding the ancient stone water fountain. 


He opened the stall which was decorated with flowers and had a large shop sign named JOULE’S HAND CRAFTS. Tom Joule is a young man brave enough to live in the snowfall Matterhorn Mountain area. He is about 30 years old but looks more youthful and he possesses a great talent for felling conifer trees and doing crafts with them. 

The end of the afternoon overlapped with the beginning of the night. He earned much more than he deserves actually. He must have gotten a raise or promotion. He felt a surge of happiness. He bought some bread and milk to bring back home. Middle of the journey, his mind was all about a beautiful woman who must be waiting for him by sitting near the firewood in the house while watching the snow fall outside of the square-shaped window. She is Mrs. Diana, the mother of Tom Joule who lost her husband Mr. Jack on Matterhorn Mountain 5 years ago. This caused her to always worry about Joule when he engages in tree-felling activities. Even though they lost the family leader, their life was still happy and joyful. Joule is proud that he still can treat his mother like a queen even facing a thorn in one’s flesh. 

The day was unfolding magnificently filled with delightful moments, but that all changed in an instant. Joule’s eyes became blurry and dilated as he saw a big icy stone rolling toward him. His brain seemed to stop working for a while and everything went blank. 

“.........” 


IT’S 2053, 

“Grandpa, wake up! Wake up, Grandpa!” He opened his eyes and woke up from the wooden chair while holding the newspaper which is filled with executive news. Many years had passed on just a second in Joule’s dream. He had married Mrs. Mary and had children and grandchildren. Even though he tries to stop thinking about the incident that happened, it came like a shadow in front of his eyes. 


IN A NOSTALGIC REVISIT TO 2023, 8:15PM, 

The ice stone was rolling fast toward Joule. The carriage rapidly went backward without coming to a halt. Joule stopped and took a deep breath because he was saved. But at the same time, he realized that he had changed his path. The forest emanates a chilling horror with its tangled and contorted vegetation. The dense canopy casts ominous shadows, while eerie silence permeates the air. The horses were scared to take the next steps forward. Joule stepped down and kept some food for the horses before starting to walk in the forest with his belongings. 

There were no birds or small insects in sight as Joule walked for around two hours. Luckily, he saw a lake that looked like clear shining glass. He kept his belongings on the green grass beside him, drank some water, and planned to take some rest. Joule caught sight of a distant figure, a beautiful girl was admiring the moon with a pretty face and her eyes are the windows to the soul. 

 She looked similar to an angel under the bright moonlight reflecting on the lake. Joule was just lost in her beauty. But it didn’t last long; the girl suddenly changed into a white snake that was ten meters long. He couldn’t even imagine what was going on at that time. Then, Joule decided to follow the snake. After a while, suddenly it disappeared and Joule decided to sit and sleep where he stopped at last. 

The night was long and cold. The sun started to rise slowly. The sky was painted in shades of pink and orange as the sun rose over the snow-covered mountains. He opened his eyes slowly and saw a girl in front of him wearing a torn dress and holding an earthen pot. Her appearance reflected a state of poverty. 


“Hello. Are you feeling, okay?” 

“Hmm, yeah. I’m okay. What place is this and who are you?” 

“Well, my name is Mary. I’m living in a small village in the middle of this forest and I usually walk by this way to the lake beside it to bring some water.” 

“Oh, I’m glad that I met you, Mary. I think I need to go back home right now. My mum will be waiting for me for a long time. Do you know the way out of here?” 

“Yes, I do. Maybe I can guide you. Let’s go.” 

“Well, I’m sorry. My name is Joule. I’m a handcraft maker and I live in the Matterhorn Mountain area. When I was on my way back home yesterday, a big ice stone rolled towards me and made me enter this forest.” 

“Oh, thank God you were saved! And I welcome you to this forest.” There was a conversation going on between them while walking. 

“I just noticed that this forest looks so terrible. Is there anything special about this forest, Mary? ” Joule asked while looking around the forest. 

“Yes, Joule. Once upon a time, this forest was filled with wildflowers that added splashes of color to the green canopy. The air was fresh and earthy, filled with the scents of rotting wood, animal tracks, and wild mint. The sound of a nearby stream was soothing, and the occasional bird call or rustle of leaves added to the attractive atmosphere.” 

“Wow, then what happened?” 

“There was a day… A white snake entered this forest. She was the queen of all snakes in this world. No one could defeat her. From that day on, there were no animals in this forest coming out. Everyone had to keep silent,” she proclaimed it with evident pride. 

“Oh no. That’s unbelievable. I think I saw her last night beside the lake.” 

“Oh wow. I think you’ve reached your destination, Joule. Have a safe journey with your carriage members.” 

“Thanks, Mary. But I wish you could come back home with me too. Would you do me the extraordinary honor of being my partner in the beautiful journey of life? ” he asked while lost in her beautiful eyes. They both held hands happily and continued their life journey. 


THROWBACK TO 2053, 9:55 PM 

The moon was so Brightful that Joule took off his spectacles while coming out from his past memories. Mary brought two cups of hot green tea. Both of them admired the moon together after a long time while surrounded by a blanket. They were making beautiful art under the bright moonlight and healing together. He was delighted and just looked at Mary’s tea cup and a reflection. When he saw that, his eyes widened in astonishment, struck by the unexpected and extraordinary sight before him. 

“The white snake!” he exclaimed. 


June 30, 2023 09:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Aswin Selvam
09:09 Jul 06, 2023

a very good and mysterious story and the last moment was unexpected at all. keep it up, Suruthi Sukumaran

Reply

Show 0 replies
Allan Bernal
00:24 Jul 06, 2023

Very mysterious story! I like your imagery too, very enigmatic characters and plot

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.