0 comments

Mystery Funny Thriller

 Jeff Walker, is a man who is an accomplice in the murder of a famous head of a large company, due to a person willing to pay a certainly huge price for anyone willing to help him in his evil schemes. Being desperate for a few mere dollars he caved into this evil plan. Most say he was a bloody murderer himself, and in fact, he was, technically, but that was a long three years ago, for a fake side personality, he was a detective, well an assistant detective. It was a perfect cover-up for the villainous crime he committed. He had become a pleasant young man but with no family, he was lonely and glum.

Now in the present time, Jeff had changed into a normal man, his only motive was to pay his rent. As he and his boss, Edgar Hollet were off on another sinister case. As his boss had been investigating the crime scene, Jeff had waited in the police station. Edgar would be back at 3:30 the time now clicked 4, traffic might be kicking in.

“Is Edgar back yet?” Jeff questioned the police in the seat in front of him. Although he sees cops two times a month now, he still tingles with fear of any recognition or suggestion of himself, although the chance is near zero.

“Nah, he’ll be back soon, probably made a pit stop at the cafe, you know how he is.” he chuckles.

After a few painfully boring minutes, the phone starts ringing, it seemed ever so ominous and sudden although it was most likely just Edgar calling to say he was heading back with everyone. 

“Man Down! Man Down! Edgar was shot! We need backup!” a fellow officer screams out. 

The line suddenly cuts off,  Jeff starts shivering in suspense, without his boss, no money, no rent, and no more cover up. Even though it was highly unlikely for him to get caught without a cover-up, the chance had still gotten higher.  

A day later…

Confirming Edgar’s death, everyone had decided, although they don’t usually do this for any extreme cases of murder, that Jeff should take the lead in the investigation, assuming he was also studying the case. In reality, Jeff had been merely filing papers and bills and occasionally grabbing an iced mocha latte from the cafe. They could hire another professional, but as they clearly mentioned, that would lead to them restarting all their progress in the case. Putting someone who has yet to figure out the name of the victim as the head detective, was one of the weakest cards in the deck.

Now at home in his apartment, studying files as they stacked up to three feet high, the crime was much larger than he had expected when Edgar was solving.

Sameul Brown, the creator of a medicine that cured practically every disease. His loving daughter, Endra, had been told she would inherit the money. His mother, Lilanda, seemed to be happy for her son and granddaughter. It was a happy family, although it didn’t last very long.

The daughter had tried to get involved with the business and had caused many little mishaps and problems leading to much larger ones. She had wanted to inherit the company sooner, she was already over 18, but her father stated it was too hard to handle at such a young age, which is a reasonable excuse. Adam, one of Samuels close friends, was told if he dies that the company falls into his hands due to him being a trustworthy partner and helper as the company increases, only until his daughter comes of a more mature age. Samuel was poisoned with Lickleroot powder when enjoying an afternoon coffee, not much information lay left in the files. Tomorrow was investigation day, Jeff hoped he was ready.

The late afternoon sun basked its waves onto their backs, washing them in clear rays of sunlight. As they questioned the following suspects, Adam Steel, Lilanda Brown, and Endra Brown. 

Jeff studied each of their facial expressions as best he could, but they seemed blank, emotionless, like they were all innocent beings.

Endra, Samuels daughter, had appeared safe in Jeff’s eyes, due to the fact that if she killed Samuel, his friend Adam would be next in line for the fortune, but who knows what sneaky style she had.

Adam had stated he picked up Samuel’s coffee and left it open on the counter. No trace of the possession of poison was uncovered.

Lilanda had always had a sensible love for her family, but feared that she would be nothing if Adam got his grubby hands on the company’s riches.

The officers rambled on discussing the murderer, Jeff tried fitting into the argument but didn’t want anything to uncover. They had decided to suspect Adam was the killer. As they broke the news, Adam’s brain was bewildered, befuddled, and blurred, Jeff seemed certain he was the killer, he only sat there as they argued out there suspects, trying to fickle out a helpful sentence

The officers seemed calm and relaxed, but something pulled at their strings that they shrugged off. It seemed too easy, too perfect, but they kept that in their minds. Jeff walked back home to his apartment, a Lickleroot powder pack in his pocket, only half full with a few drops of coffee soaking the thick paper, a sinister smile perked up his lips, for not a second was he ever accused.

THE END

Hi everyone! Thanks for reading! I tried exploring the subgenre Noir Fiction of the genre of Crime, a darker crime fiction with a usually bittersweet or just plain bad ending. I tried involving a large twist at the end to pull in an intriguing ending. I hope you enjoyed the second story of this week, It wasn’t Me! Don’t forget to discuss the story in the comments and leave a like and follow below! See you all next week for another prompt and story!

July 20, 2023 16:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.