Dream Team

Written in response to: Write a story about a first or last kiss.... view prompt

1 comment

Adventure Crime

Day 20

Maybe I'm going mad, or I'm just crazy. But I know one thing: I've almost caught Black Mark, the most well-known for leaving their mark. Ten years ago they were running the city, killing people, and those who cheated them. We believe that they're taking out the people in government positions because they want to take the city back. And I still haven't figured out who the leader is, which is quite frustrating when you think about it. You'd think that there'd be some evidence or DNA left behind, but no! Just two weeks ago, they kidnapped the town mayor and when we found him, he was hanging from his wrist over a lake. Everything from the waist down was gone. But I did see a symbol in the dirt below the man's body and snapped a picture of it. This case has had me up almost every night robbing me of sleep, and my partner called me the night before to tell me that I was doing too much. I mean, can you blame me, really?? Wouldn't you do everything in your power to try and stop the biggest criminal organization in your town?


......


Quinn looked up from her laptop when her partner entered her office.

"What was the emergency?"

He was tall, hovering 6 feet. His military-style haircut and deep-set green eyes reminded Quinn of sunshine and floral blooms.

She thought of him to be quite handsome if only he smiled more.

"Do you remember the name of the mayor's neighborhood?" Quinn asked, turning back to her screen. "Could you remind me your name again?"

"That was the emergency?" the man growled, throwing his hands up into the air in annoyance. "You woke me up three hours before my shift starts for this?!"

"You didn't even answer the question, much less give me a chance to explain." Quinn turned back toward him and squinted her eyes as she read his tag. "Landon."

"That information should've been filed into the system last week." Landon snapped, plopping down in one of the chairs.

"Well, I didn't see it." Quinn tapped the space bar and watched the video of a black van rolling up to the guard booth at the mayor's neighborhood.

The officer asked to see their ID and when they rolled down the window a gun was sticking out. The officer reached for his weapon but was struck down before he could even grab it.

A man opened the driver's door and walked into the booth, the gate opened and he came out a moment later.

Quinn couldn't see the person's face because they wore a hoodie and ski mask.

"Are you still watching that video?" Landon groaned. "It's been reviewed hundreds of times and no one has been able to figure out who the driver is."

Quinn said nothing and watched as the van came back out thirty minutes later. She paused it and scribbled down the driver's license plate.

Bmark5

Of course.

"Did you think to get the license plate?" Quinn asked, sliding the paper to him.

"Yes, Quinn. And it was registered under someone named Bloodlust." Landon rolled his eyes.

"Have you perhaps checked all of the cameras?"

Landon sneers. "What kind of question is that?"

Quinn turned her screen toward him, she sat back in her chair and folded her arms. She relished the moment his mouth dropped open and his eyes widened.

"You were saying? Now, close your mouth you're going to attract flies." Quinn slammed the lid shut. "Let's move."

....

Day 23

There hasn't been a sign of the van and yesterday Landon demanded to be dropped off at the police station, believing that I was sending us on a wild goose chase. But honestly, if I were in charge of a criminal organization where would be the best place to hide? Somewhere secluded, duh! But this group has convinced themselves that since they haven't been caught they never will. The road that I saw them take is leading me out toward the city, which is much more populated than my town. It sucks that I'm doing this alone though.

....

Quinn finds an empty parking lot and parks her car. She changes out of her uniform and into a pair of jeans and a shirt.

Quinn tucked her phone in her pocket. She contemplated bringing a weapon and eventually decided on her lucky knife that was given to her by her father.

She stepped out of the van and took in the tall buildings and expensive cars that were driving by. Parents walked with their children down the street licking their ice cream as fast as possible before it melted in the sweltering heat.

The people here seemed carefree as though nothing was going on.

When there was a break in the traffic, she raced across the street and almost ran into a man carrying a crate.

"Ack! I'm sorry!"

"Watch where you're going, girl!" the man grumbled, then marched away.

Quinn opened her mouth to snap back but stopped when she noticed the star symbol on the side of the box.

She averted her gaze when the man turned back around to glower at her. Quinn slipped into the crowd and stepped down an alley where she climbed to the roof of an apartment complex. She made sure to stay out of sight.

Quinn jumped from building to building with ease. She followed the man with the crate and stopped when she saw him enter a bar. Quinn narrowed her eyes, remembering that a notice was sent out letting the police forces know that the president was going to be out enjoying himself today.

She expected to see a row of officers outside the bar, but there was no one in sight.

She pulled her phone from her pocket and dialed Landon's number. He didn't pick up and she cursed.

"Landon. Pick up your phone, I know you're not sleeping or on lunch break. Stop ignoring me. This is important. The road that the Black Mark was on led me into the city where I spotted a man carrying a crate with the star symbol I showed you that was beneath the mayor's body." Quinn sighed. "Landon get over here-"

Something behind her clattered against the roof and she jumped to her feet. A man was standing behind her, beating a metal stick on the ground.

"Oh no." Quinn turned to jump from the roof but someone jumped up to block her. They snatched her phone and threw it down in the alley where another person stomped on it.

Quinn gritted her teeth and reached for her weapon, throwing it at the first man. It landed in his thigh and he cried out and stumbled, she shot toward him and grabbed the pole.

She beat him on the head, then turned toward the other person who was soon joined by two more.

Someone grabbed her from behind, wrapping their arm around her neck. A cloth was put over her nose.

The harder she struggled, the tighter they gripped her.

Quinn's eyes fluttered and darkness fell.

....


"Landon. Pick up your phone, I know you're not sleeping or on lunch break. Stop ignoring me. This is important. The road that the Black Mark was on led me into the city where I spotted a man carrying a crate with the star symbol I showed you that was beneath the mayor's body." Quinn sighed. "Landon get over here-"

Landson sat up when she cut off. He heard the sound of metal hitting something.

He heard her mutter, "Oh no."

Then it stopped.

He jumped from the table in the breakroom and tried dialing Quinn's phone but it went straight to voicemail.

Robert and Jessica walked past. "Have you two heard from Quinn?"

"No." Jessica frowned. "Is something the matter?"

"She went ahead and..and followed after the Black Mark. She must've located them. I think something happened to her." Land gasped, slowly going into panic mode.

Robert sighed. "You know our boss is going to go nuts if he hears about this. You're supposed-"

"To be with your partner at all times. I know." Landon finished. "She used my squad car."

Robert tossed him the keys. "Let us know if you'll need backup."

Landon took the keys and took off to the garage where all the cars were. He located Robert's and climbed in.

He sped out and followed the route that Quinn had sent him while his phone had been on silent.

Quinn was a headstrong girl who didn't like to be told what to do, especially when it came to solving cases. She was also hard to work with, which is why their boss struggled to find the right partner for her.

Quinn was known to work hard, and tire not only herself out, but her partner as well. In the beginning, Landon was hesitant to work with her because of what his fellow officers had said about her, and at first, things were chill. But then everything went downhill after that.

He hardly ever spoke to her unless they were at the office. And sometimes, not even then.

He couldn't imagine a world without her breathtaking aquamarine eyes and beautiful smile. Landon sighed as he sped down the road.

I fell for her.


Quinn opened her eyes and tried to move her head but it immediately started throbbing. She moaned and looked around to find herself surrounded by a group of masked strangers, they all stood with their arms folded, holding various types of weapons.

"Ah. The princess is finally awake."

Quinn squinted her eyes as she tried to make out the person who sat before her. Half of him was shrouded in shadows, but all she could make out in the dim light was a silver mask.

"Who are you?"

The person cocked their head. "You mean you don't know? I thought you were responsible for tracking me down. Quinlan isn't it?"

Bloodlust.

"How do you know my-"

They hold up her wallet with the picture of her ID, then toss it to the floor in front of her. "You couldn't possibly think we'd drag you in here without checking you first. We wouldn't want you to try and run away." Bloodlust chuckled, wiggling his fingers. "But, maybe you'd be willing to make a deal."

"A deal?" Quinn snarled. "With you? Over my dead body."

Bloodlust leaned forward. "That can most certainly be arranged."

Quinn swallowed back the bile that rose in her throat. "A deal? Let me guess, you want information, yeah?"

"You guessed right. I have two questions, failure to answer them will result in you possibly getting hurt. Accidents do happen, no?" Bloodlust sat back, laughing.

The people around her joined in.

She needed to keep him talking, off topic. "Why did you start all of this? What's the point?"

"I'm asking the questions here." Bloodlust hummed thoughtfully. "How many police would you say are on the lookout for me?"

"My partner and I were tasked with tracking you down, but I don't know how many other officers were given that task." Quinn shrugged a shoulder.

Bloodlust clasped his hands in front of him. "I don't believe you."

Something hit her on the back of the head and she bit back a scream of pain, stars flashed across her vision. Quinn felt something warm trickle down her neck and she grimaced slightly.

"Now, I'm going to ask again. This time I won't be too lenient. How many officers are watching out for me besides you and your partner?" Bloodlust tapped his mask. "Speaking of, where is your partner? Most men wouldn't let girls do this type of work."

Quinn started to panic then. Did her message get through? Was anyone coming?

"I'm right here."

Before anyone could move, bullets started flying and Quinn flinched away from the direction and tried to free herself to no avail.


(Not finished. Dunno if I should keep going)







February 13, 2024 21:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Bec Newton
23:08 May 08, 2024

Keep going 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.