The Not-So-Good Unlucky Life of Xavier

Submitted into Contest #88 in response to: Write a fairy tale about an outsider trying to fit in.... view prompt

4 comments

Funny Drama Science Fiction

On this whole stupid island, it had to be me. WHY??? Every darn thing I try to do messes up. Wanna drink coffee? The island goes underwater and all the hot coffee spills on me. That is literally a daily thing. Bad luck was so much worse than people thought. Maybe I shouldn't even get up from bed today. No, I already tried that and ended up falling off the bed and spraining my wrist. Everybody else has shock-proof rooms so nothing plummets as the island goes to take a nap for the most part, but my stupid room had to glitch. How is that even possible? A glitch, seriously. I get out from the un-comfort of my not-so-soft blanket and comforter. They ran out of new ones, tried to wash these ones, and burned them. Now they just feel like burnt cardboard. 

I pick up my old phone and check the battery, I had charged it the whole night because that's how much time this old box took to recharge. 

"3%!!! Noo!" The charger only worked at an angle and I had thought I had did it. "Oh, wait, I fell of the bed so that means the island went down again. WAIT! That means it will only go down again once because it was 12:00. Yess!" I do a little victory dance then remember my phone.

"Oh, crap," I look around for the charger, and right before I plug it in, it dies.

"I HATE MY LIFE!" I scream but this stupid room had been programmed so it was soundproof. Of course, because of my eternal bad luck, the glitch had made it so I could still hear any sounds from outside. People weren't always in their rooms and when those little annoying toddlers scream and play around, I literally wanted to go out there and throw them off the island. I get up and hit my toe against my desk.

"AGHHH!" I bring my foot closer to my chest, but I am not flexible at all what-so-over. I fall onto my back scream on the inside while I hear the parents cautioning their children to stay away from me. And to not go outside the dome.

"Yay! Let's go down the waterslide!" I hear them squeal in excitement. The whole island had a protective dome around it to protect Arabellaians, and yes that is the name of the worst place in history, so no islanders would get any serious injuries which basically meant death. 

I go to make my coffee and right as I'm about to take a sip, I stretch my hand as far away from my body as I can. But of course, it doesn't plummet yet. I sigh. Now I'll have to clean my carpet and the cup is only half full.

"Gary? Where are you?" my pet snail peeks out from under my bed. Even my only friend and unfortunately pet was scared of me. 

"I'll leave your breakfast here and then back away. Okay?" I tell him.

"Okay, but don't even try to pet me or get close. If you do, I'll bite you," he states, glaring at me probably- I tried to pet him because honestly, what was the worst that could happen. 

"You don't even have teeth," I slump my shoulders because what if petting Gary was the one thing I had to do to get rid of my curse. 

"Then I'll run away," He starts sliding toward my door and out of my pineapple-shaped house with only one room and a tiny living room. 

"How exactly will you twist the wheel to open the door," I cross my arms already dreading the answer.

"With the help of your rotten luck," he smirks.

I stomp to my tiny kitchen and trip. I stumble and sharp pain roots in my foot.

"A lego?! Seriously? How did that even get in here?" I puck it out of my feet.

I check my cabinets and realize I forgot to go grocery shopping.

"I'll be back soon," I limp to my door and put on my shoes. I look at my nails and see a hangnail. Not this again. I peel it but instead of breaking off, the hangnail peels back further and a see dots of crimson slowly starting to get bigger. Just. My. Luck. I hurry to the bathroom.

"Which cabinet was it?"

I open the first light brown little door but see extra rolls of toilet paper and cleaning supplies. I find the first aid in the fourth cabinet.

"Band-aid on without too much trouble," I allow a small teeny weeny smile onto my face.

As I peek through the window, I see the sun shining, I grab my umbrella anyway.

I hear little laughs and snorts and look back to see Gary barely containing his laughter. 

"An umbrella? In this weather?" he rolls on to his back or shell or whatever you call that pink hard stuff. I can't remember because I got kicked out of school after accidentally blowing up the east wing. Which happened to contain important scientific research and prized ancient books. Apparently, the research was about stopping the island from going down. I got so excited that I start jumping around and knocked over some chemicals which thankfully didn't kill anybody since I was the only one there. Before you start blaming me, let me defend myself. I didn't believe the teachers that maybe my breakfast didn't fall onto me and I actually got to eat most of eat. So I snuck there and you know the rest. I walk out and see the children all stop in their tracks. Their parents had filled their ears with rumors and stories about me. I don't know why. They knew one person on the island would be cursed for bad luck either till they die or do a specific task. Unfortunately for that person, Apollo had decided not to tell anybody what that one task was. Why was it my fault? Just because a selfish, reckless god was angry, why would it be me? You see, long ago, Apollo had cursed the island of Arabella because the islanders had disrespected him by not giving him one human as a sacrifice for his oh-so-holy birthday. The island would randomly plummet into the water twice every 24 hours. When almost a century later the people had complained that the people who refused to obey him were all dead, he cursed one person on the island.

"It's okay, get back to whatever you're doing. I'll just take the route from the back. The kids ran to their parents and everybody hurried inside. Did they think I was blind? I could see them watching from their windows. And then heavy rain started. I opened my umbrella and right as I put it up, it ripped. Great.

When I come back home, I feed Gary and decide to take a quick shower and change. When I turn the faucet on, the water is freezing cold. I get out quickly and decide to take a nap.

I am about to jump onto my bed when the island falls and I hit my head on the bed frame.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't unlucky Xavier," I see the shark smirk outside my wall. Did I mention that I got the room with one clear wall for "the beautiful view and talking wildlife?"

"Not today Marcus," I say tiredly.

"You say that every time X," he comes closer and smiles, showing his sharp white triangular teeth.

¨I fall onto my bed and what d'ya see?

Both sides of my pillow are warm.

April 08, 2021 19:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Riya 🌺
19:58 Apr 08, 2021

Second story!!! "Squeals" Hope you like it. This was actually for my teacher because we were roasting him in class today and for our assignment, we were supposed to write a short one or 2 paragraph sci-fi story. Did a little too much, edited the story, and thought I should post it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Writer Maniac
13:25 Apr 11, 2021

I'm really sorry I'm late, I had a few exams to study for, but I'm here now! This story was really fun to read, but I have some feedback which I hope you'll take the right way. The first thing is the writing itself. I found it too casual and light-hearted for my taste, and it was difficult to understand at points. You wrote it as you would say it, which doesn't always work. You must distinguish between the language used while writing and speaking because it's not always the same. The second thing is that huge paragraph towards the end. I fee...

Reply

Riya 🌺
15:59 Apr 12, 2021

Thank you so much for your feedback! I tried to edit it but it was already approved. Also, thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my story :)

Reply

Writer Maniac
16:14 Apr 12, 2021

Oh that's totally alright, just keep it in mind.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.