0 comments

General


As the pot of water on the stove was boiling, so too were the feelings of disdain between two sisters, who stood at opposite ends of a kitchen counter. As they chopped vegetables for thanksgiving dinner, the sound of their knives coming down heavy on their cutting boards echoed throughout the house. How easily one could have lost a finger to their rage-filled chopping if both were not so well versed in that art.

  Victoria carelessly dropped beats into the bubbling water, resulting in a big splash that sent water spilling across the stove top and dripping onto the tile floor.

“Be careful, Victoria!” Elizabeth chided.

“It’s fine, Elizabeth. Just a little water.” She uttered.

“Well you can clean it up then.”

“I was going to! You don’t need to tell me.” Victoria snapped.

They both huffed and carried on with their domestic endeavors, muttering jeers about each other under their breath.

Two hours later the table was set with fine dishes, polished silverware, and fragile crystalline glasses. Napkins were placed aside each plate, neatly folded and held by festive napkin rings. The large, golden-brown turkey was the centerpiece that everyone anticipated cutting into.

The two sisters were seated far from each other, and they did their best to avoid glaring, tempting as it was. When their father clapped his hands together and stated, “Let us pray!” they bowed their heads like everyone else, but they did not close their eyes. As the blessing was made, they harbored feelings of bitterness like that of the black coffee that would later be brewed.

Dinner rolls were passed, mashed potatoes scooped, drinks poured, and the turkey was carved. There were a few quiet moments of clinking glasses, silverware scraping plates, and the hum of mmmm’s as everyone’s appetites were being satisfied.

Some chatter broke out, small talk really. Mostly comments on how delicious everything was, but it led to more steady conversation. Everyone was desperately hoping to avoid the topic that tore apart their last family gathering.

It was the last time Victoria invited her partner to dine with her sister present.

Victoria sat there silently munching on green beans and missing Darcy when finally, her father opened a new topic of conversation. “Why don’t we all go around and say what we’re thankful for!”

Mixed within the nods and comments of approval were a few quiet groans, one of which came from Victoria herself.

“Wonderful idea, Albert.” Their mother said.

“I’ll go first!” Their young cousin Rena volunteered. “I’m thankful for Puddles the cat.”

A round of awww’s broke out before the next person, Uncle Jason, chimed in. “I’m thankful for my beautiful wife, Karen!” He turned to her and they exchanged smiles as the table chanted “Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!” until they did.

They all looked to Victoria, who was seated next to him, to give her answer. “I’ll pass...” She said.

“Of course you would.” Muttered Elizabeth.

“Excuse me?” Victoria replied sharply.

“Nothing.”

“Girls, come on, let’s all get along. It’s Thanksgiving!” their father said in attempt to keep the peace.

“I’ve got one.” Said Elizabeth. “I’m thankful for all our president’s been doing for the economy.”

“Are you kidding me?” exclaimed Victoria. “All you care about is money, with no regard for human rights!”

“You have every right that you need, Victoria! You live in a first world country.” Answered Elizabeth.

“He’s actively been trying to make life harder for people like me and my non-white girlfriend!”

“Is that what the internet told you?” Elizabeth remarked.

“No, it’s what we’ve been experiencing!” Victoria rebutted.

“You’re the one that chose to date women.” Said Elizabeth.

“You’re unbelievable, I didn’t choose who to be attracted to.” Said Victoria, furiously. “And you’ve never dealt with the racism that Darcy experiences.”

“Obviously that’s awful, but it’s not the president’s fault if people are racist.”

“He certainly doesn’t help.” Victoria said while crossing her arms.

“We all have different opinions.” Uncle Jason offered.

“I guess it’s totally alright to believe nazis are ‘fine people’ and that it’s okay to ‘grab ‘em by the pussy’.” She said in a voice dripping with sarcasm.

“Victoria! Watch you mouth!” their mother cried.

“Well, that was over ten years ago that he said that.” Their father mentioned.

“What about all the good he’s done?” Said Victoria.

“What good? I still don’t have decent insurance, my bills are the same as they always were, my job still pays me a barely livable wage, oh and not to mention the world is burning!”

“You believe all that climate change stuff?” Their father asked.

“Dad, the science confirms that we are ruining this planet.” Said Victoria.

“You’re right on that one, he could stand to care more about the environment.” Finally something the sisters could agree on.

“Hogwash! They were saying that back in my day. We’re doing fine. If the earth is being destroyed, then it’s God’s will.” He said.

“You’re delusional!” Victoria complained. With that their mother burst into tears.

“Mom? It’s alright, don’t cry.” Said Elizabeth.

“It’s just a little disagreement.” Their father said to her while patting her on the back in effort to placate her.

“Pretty big disagreement, if you ask me.” Victoria grumbled.

“Victoria, enough!” Their father yelled. They hadn’t heard him shout at her like that since she’d been 17. Everyone remained silent.

“The reason your mother is emotional right now is bigger than this argument.” He said.

“I – have to t-tell you all s-something.” Their mother managed to say through the sobs.

“What is it, mom?” Asked Elizabeth.

“Is everything okay, Gina?” asked uncle Jason.

“Well, not really.” Their father said. Suddenly, he had everyone’s attention, and even Victoria became concerned.

“Hon, take a deep breath.” Said their father comfortingly. She began to breath in and out slowly, regaining posture.

“Life’s too short to be bickering with each other. Who knows how many holidays I have left?” Their mother said.

“What do you mean?” Elizabeth inquired.

“Well…” their father started.

“I have cancer.” Their mother stated plainly, no longer crying, knowing it was the truth and there had already been too many tears to let it get the best of her now. Everyone gasped.

“No!” cried Elizabeth, followed by a barrage of different consolations and exclamations.

“That’s horrible!”

“I’m so sorry, Gina.”

Victoria sat silent, staring down at her plate, unsure what to say or think. Then she lifted her head. “What kind of cancer do you have?” She asked her mother nervously.

“Breast cancer.” She replied.

“Well, that’s manageable! You’ll be okay, you’ll make it. You’ve gotta!” said Elizabeth frantically.

“Yeah, they have great treatments for that now.” Said Karen.

“Gina, we’ll all be here to support you.” Uncle Jason added.

Their father grabbed his wife’s hand. “We all love you so much.” He said, along with affirmation from everyone around the table.

“Is Aunt Gina gonna die, mommy?” asked little Rena in a soft, trembling voice.

“No! Of course not.” Karen responded. “Of course not.” She said reassuringly. Everyone was touched by the innocence of the child and the genuineness of her concern.

As the fire crackled in the fireplace, and their anger was melting away into something close to sorrow from the sad news, there was still that tension that hung in the air between the two sisters. Both had the same thoughts on their mind. If they were to support their mother through her sickness, they would have to put their differences aside, or at least try to be civil. They peered at each other with sympathetic looks and exchanged nods.

It should have been an even worse family dinner than the last one, but the love and support was overflowing at that table, just like their abundance of food. At the end they came to remember their gratitude for each other and for the precious years they would have together.

Victoria and Elizabeth may never be close to each other ever again, but for the sake of their family and their peace of mind, they would no longer treat each other as the enemy.

November 28, 2019 21:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.