Shadow Captured In My Lens

Submitted into Contest #244 in response to: Write about a character who sees a photo they shouldn’t have seen.... view prompt

4 comments

Thriller Horror Fiction

Amanda had always been drawn to the mysterious and the unexplained. Her tiny apartment, perched on the edge of the city, offered a perfect view of the busy road below. She'd often sit by the window, camera in hand, capturing fleeting moments of life; the cries of children being dragged along by their parents, the hustle of commuters, and the occasional fender-bender.

One rainy evening, as thunder rumbled in the distance, Amanda heard the screech of tires. She rushed to the window, camera dangling from her neck. Two cars collided, metal crunching against metal. The air smelled of gasoline and fear. Amanda saw the second car was heavily damaged, and the driver went head first through the window. Passing away almost instantly, leaving behind a 1 year old baby. Amanda's instincts outweighed her sympathy, so she raised her camera and clicked.

But it wasn't just the twisted wreckage that caught her eye. It was the figure standing amidst the chaos; a shadowy silhouette with hollow eyes and gnarled fingers. The spirit then snaps it's neck in the direction of Amanda, causing her to fall backwards and hit her back on the small study table.

Amanda's heart raced with terror, concealing the pain that throbbed from her injury. She stood up and looked outside, but only saw the wreckage. Then Amanda wondered as she glanced at her camera. She raised the lens to her eye and looked through it. To her shock, the spirit stood there, menacingly glaring at Amanda. That's when she understood that she couldn't see the spirit with her naked eye, only through the lens. She closely examined the photo from her Polaroid camera, and there it was, as clear as day. Its malevolence etched onto the canvas. Amanda shuddered, realizing she'd captured something beyond the mundane.

The accidents started soon after. A cyclist swerved into traffic and was crushed by a honda. A pedestrians heel broke, causing her to fall sideways onto the pavement, hitting her head hard. A tanker truck jackknifed, blocking the entire road and only exploding when 2 cars racing, accidentally hit the truck with immense force. Amanda watched from her window, helpless yet fascinated. The vengeful spirit had attached itself to this road, or maybe even Amanda herself. Was it feeding off her desire for iniquity and curiosity?

Amanda decided to research ancient texts, desperate for answers. The spirit came up and it read, 'Demon of Tragedy'. It wasn't seeking justice for some long-forgotten wrong like Amanda wondered, the spirit was just hateful and enjoyed creating chaos. Amanda wondered if she'd inadvertently become its accomplice.

After that revelation, Amanda's life unraveled. Friends distanced themselves, family talked behind her back, and bullies rose from unknown places to taunt Amanda daily. Everyone whispered about her cursed camera and they all grew a deep repulsion for Amanda.

Even though she stopped taking photos, the spirit's influence persisted. It whispered in her ears constantly, urging her to capture more accidents, more pain. The small street became nothing but a picture of mayhem, and Amanda its unwitting photographer.

Amanda knew at this point that she needed help. She sought guidance from a reclusive medium named Eli. His apartment smelled of incense and old books. As he studied the photo Amanda gave him, his eyes widened. "You've captured a malevolent demon," he said. "Well obviously, but it's feeding on the suffering around... you. You need to break free now!"

"I know that Eli, but how?" Amanda says, as she irritatingly paces the room.

"You must find its name and cast it out. Here, I'll give you my book and it'll tell you what you need to do. Don't deviate from this book or it will cost you your soul. Understood?" Eli hands Amanda the book and she nods, shaking under the weight of her duty.

Once Amanda got back home, she delved deeper into the task. The pages bore cryptic symbols, dark drawings, and ancient scriptures. At the bottom of page six, it finally tells her how to find out the demons name. A lucid dream. Amanda would need to fall into a deep sleep with the book in her hands, as she thinks of the evil entity. She'd have to make sure to stay in control at all times, even in slumber. Once the sleep took over, Amanda found herself shrouded in moonlight. She looked around and saw that she was standing on the exact street outside her apartment.

As if summoned, the spirit appears before Amanda. It was distorted, but still solid. "What's your name?" Amanda whispered.

The ground trembled. The spirit cackled. "Girl, you are weak. My name is not of your concern and it shall never be revealed to you."

Shaken, but not moved, Amanda asks again. "Spirit, what's your name?"

"Silence girl! You are not powerful enough. My name shall stay with me and you shall continue to serve me." The spirit begins to walk slowly towards Amanda.

Taking a breath and remembering page four of the book Eli gave her, Amanda recites the text. "I am life, I have power, and I fight with the full armor. The light which had been bestowed upon me by the creator, will always be able to defeat those like you. I don't fear you and you don't own me, so give me your name demon, now!"

As if the command was from it's master, the spirit utters its name strenuously. "E... Ezzzz- ine."

"Louder!" Shouts Amanda.

"Ezine!" The spirit growls.

A smile crossed Amanda's face as she forces herself to wakeup. Now wielding the name of the spirit, she returns to Eli. He quickly brings her into his home and praises her for completing the first part of the task. Now it was time for Amanda to begin the process of releasing the spirit from its earthly tether. Eli preferred her to do it alone, but he was also too interested in the situation to let it go now.

As they both prepared for the ritual in Amanda's apartment, Eli assured her that she would be just fine. Feeling safe, Amanda followed Eli's every word. Not too long after the set up was complete, the demon appeared to them. No camera lens, no photos, no distortion, not in a dream; just in plain sight, ready to battle for dominion over Amanda's existence.

The fight was great, and the demon held on as long as possible. But it couldn't go on after its name was used against it. "Be gone Ezine!" Both Eli and Amanda chanted. The apartment shook violently and a portal near their feet opened up. Fire shot out and gripped Ezine. It was slowly dragged into the floor; attempts to break free were futile. Ezine now encapsulated within the ground, the portal slams closed, leaving behind a scorched circle in the carpet. Amanda looked down at the place Ezine once stood and laughed. "I'm going to be in so much trouble for this." Eli joins in on the laugher and hugs Amanda with joy and victory.

As days passed, the accidents ceased, and Amanda's camera remained silent. The best part; no one remembered anything about Amanda's misfortune from the past few weeks. But she knew. Amanda forever would be haunted by the tragedies on her camera lens, but the defeat of the demon Ezine had sparked something within her.

March 30, 2024 06:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Mazie Maris
19:44 Apr 06, 2024

What a creative story!! And gosh, I shudder to think of my camera becoming cursed! I enjoyed reading this and loved where your imagination took you with this prompt.

Reply

Noted Moments
19:50 Apr 07, 2024

Im very happy you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Paul Simpkin
07:30 Apr 06, 2024

Interesting approach to the prompt. Very imaginative story.

Reply

Noted Moments
19:50 Apr 07, 2024

I appreciate it, thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.