0 comments

Adventure Crime Middle School

Dear Miles..

How's it going in New York? Finding everything ok? That's great man. Has the school called about her yet? or did they forget after months of the disappearance.

I do miss her alot as the days go by, but I know she was closer to you since you guys had been dating. Still I find it funny how she fell for you..But hey! Congrats with that relationship.

Eh perhaps her family will be proud to know some things, keep this letter hidden.

From Tom.

-----------------

Dear Miles

Hey! I saw the news, congrats on that run around the town! I knew you were a born runner..Look we have to talk, I need to tell you some things you need to know and its real important, not a joke like Max had done in Middle school with the paint bucket...

They're finally putting her case to rest saying she was a love struck run away with some guy from school. Odd but oh well! Wish it was you huh? I'm not opening any bad wounds right?

Keep this hidden..

From Tom.

---------------------

Dear Miles

Look we need to talk right now, I found something that might spark your interest...

****-***-****

Call that number.

From Tom.

--------------

Hesitating I pulled out my phone, it was a foggy day so school had been canceled that day, I kept scanning over those letters from my old friend Tom. We had been close ever since we were little kids! He was always a strange type by it was humor and heart..

Amanda Liyer had gone missing a few months ago being last seen by the school's football field with her boyfriend Max,she had cheated on me only using me to get her popularity back.

Tom was frustrated was he was told what happened, he ended up almost beating Max up after his practice when he was leaving the locker room!.

After that Tom had said he was going on a trip with some family out of state but didn't say where. And now I'm just getting letters from him after Middle school!. That just wasn't right...

Letting out a sigh I slowly typed in the number letting it ring a few times..

"Hello?" I spoke

"Miles!"

"Ok! I have news!, I found her!'

"Found who?..." My voice became caught in my throat and my chest felt like it was being crushed...did he?..

"I found Amanda! Right were we buried her! Isn't that exciting!?" He laughed on the other side and I could tell he was smiling...

"What?..." I forced out, I had to lean my body against the wall in a panic, what was he talking about?...

"Don't you remember silly?, we buried her together! We carried her to those woods!"

"Tom...I don't understand.."

"Right it's been a while! Remember our spot in the woods? It was our treehouse. Well remember I asked you to help me get rid of some trash.."

Those bags...were they..God, I could feel my chest tighten more as I felt the room spin around me. I feel so sick..

"Tom, I need to call the poli-'

"NO! You can't! She got what she deserved!..She broke your heart and used you! But don't worry pal, Max might be joining her soon" He chuckled.

I could faintly hear the sound of glass shattering in the back "T-TOM! Are you ok!?" I knew what he did but..he was still my friend..

"Urgh..Yea, a vase shattered. The roots seem to grow from the floorboards here" He huffed.

"Tom where are you?.." I asked frantically searching for my keys and shoes before hearing a loud bang..

"Find our old spot..Report her being found.." I could hear him coughing and wheezing then something collapsing on the floor.

The line went dead, I quickly dialed the police and ran to the scene..They found her body as Max broke stood broken by the cops. I ran inside with a detective, Tom's body was gone..There was a sight to see..The shattered vase and faint scarlett..

---------------------------------------------------

Dear Miles..

I'm sorry for what I've done I found a new safe place to hide, luckily it was my leg that was shot nothing too bad! I hope you stay safe and I wish we could see eachother but I don't want you in trouble with my mistake.

Love you man

From Tom..

----------------

That was the last letter I got from him..I haven't heard anything since but I tried calling it yet but nothing happened. I went to the funeral several days ago to pay my respects to the family. Max was there so I gave him the best comfort I could to help since well she was his girlfriend.

Tom's parents haven't said anything to me when I asked if they got anything from their son. Only thing they said was they put up a missing poster for him...Still nothing from the police or Tom.

I put the letters in a box and kicked it under my bed hiding it away for when my family came over. I'm not sure how Tom would feel if they were shared so they stayed hidden.

Some kids still whisper about Tom and Amanda worried of what became of they, some wishing for more justice for Amanda and her safety while others curse Tom's name for being distant and rude to her and Max when they still went here. I couldn't tell them anything except "I hope she finds her justice soon" when they asked if I had seen or spoke to Tom who was turning into a suspect.. I'm not sure how long I can lie to them about you...Maybe it'll be for the best to tell them everything, the phone calls, the letters or even about the treehouse and about what you had told me, I'm scared Tom..I really am!.

Police stop by the school once in a while to ask or talk about comforting the students who may have been upset about the death of Amanda. They look at me and I swear..The devil himself and God are judging me from their eyes...

Help me Tom..

From wherever you are..

From Miles..

January 19, 2023 16:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.