A Nightmare Among the Mutated Plants; Tom's Escape

Submitted into Contest #193 in response to: Write about somebody whose intentions are pure, but somehow always manages to do the wrong thing.... view prompt

11 comments

Adventure Science Fiction Fiction

"Nerdy plant enthusiast Tom discovers a strange plant in his backyard. But when he accidentally pricks his finger on one of its thorns, he gains the power to talk to plants. Little does he know, the plants have chosen him for a greater purpose, and as he delves deeper into his newfound powers, he uncovers a sinister plot involving a group of well-intentioned, plant-based aliens whose actions have caused a dangerous signal to be sent to Earth's vegetation. Can Tom use his powers to save the planet and restore balance to the ecosystem?" He turned to the other plants in his garden and was amazed to discover that he could hear them too. They weren't speaking to him in words, but he could feel their emotions and their needs. He realized that he had gained the ability to communicate with plants, and he was filled with a sense of wonder and excitement. He knew that this was a power he could use to make a difference in the world."

Tom was in his backyard, surrounded by the plants he had grown and cared for when suddenly he heard a voice in his head. It was a strange, alien voice that seemed to be coming from one of the plants.

 "Hello, Tom," the voice said. "We need your help." Tom was taken aback. "Who are you?" he asked. "We are the Guardians of the Plant Kingdom," the voice replied. "We have been watching you, and we have chosen you to help us save the Earth from destruction." Tom was skeptical. "Save the Earth from what?" "From our own kind," the voice said. "We are plant-based aliens, and we came to Earth with the intention of helping your planet. But we made a mistake. Our experiments caused a stress signal that triggered the plants to attack humans. We want to make it right, but we need your help." Tom was hesitant. "Why me?" "Because you have the power to communicate with the plants," the voice said. "You can help us understand them and stop them from attacking. Will you help us?" Tom thought for a moment, then nodded. "I'll do my best," he said. "But what do I need to do?" The voice gave him instructions, and Tom set off on his mission to save the Earth from the plant-based aliens.  

Tom has always had the purest of intentions. He cares deeply about the environment and has dedicated his life to caring for plants. But somehow, he always manages to mess things up. When the plant-based aliens ask for his help to save the Earth, Tom eagerly agrees. But as he delves deeper into the mission, he realizes that he may have made a grave mistake. Tom's good intentions lead him to blindly trust the plant-based aliens and their plans. But as the mission progresses, he begins to uncover the aliens' true intentions. They are not the benevolent creatures he thought they were. Instead, they are seeking to use Earth as a testing ground for their own gain, and they will stop at nothing to achieve their goals. As Tom struggles with his own guilt and the realization that he has been helping the wrong side, he must fight to make things right. 

As Tom continued to work with the plant-based aliens, he started to feel uneasy. He had been following their instructions blindly, but he couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't right. One day, as he was speaking with the plants in his backyard, he realized that they had been using him. He had been nothing but a pawn in their game. "Wait a minute," Tom said to the plant-based aliens. "You've been using me, haven't you? You said I had the power to stop the plants from attacking humans, but I don't. I've been doing busy work this whole time." 

Tom's heart was racing as he stood before the group of plant-based aliens, their green tendrils writhing menacingly. "I trusted you!" he shouted, his voice shaking with anger and disbelief. "I thought you were here to help the Earth, but all along you were just using it as a test subject for your own gain!" The leader of the aliens, a towering mass of vines and leaves, shifted uncomfortably. "Tom, we understand your anger," it said in a placating voice. "But we had no choice. Our planet is dying, and we needed a new home. Earth seemed like the perfect place, and with your help, we could have made it work." "At what cost?" Tom demanded. "You were willing to sacrifice the entire ecosystem, put human lives in danger, just to save your own species?" The leader didn't answer, but the other aliens began to hiss and murmur amongst themselves. Tom knew he was in danger, but he refused to back down. "I won't let you hurt anyone else," he said, summoning all his courage. "I'll use my powers to stop you." The leader of the aliens looked down at Tom with a mixture of pity and contempt. "You don't understand, Tom," it said. "You're just a human. You don't have the power to stop us." Tom gritted his teeth, refusing to give in. "Maybe not alone," he said, glancing around at the plants that surrounded him. "But I'm not alone. I have an army of plants on my side. And we won't let you destroy our home." With that, Tom turned and sprinted away, his mind racing with plans to stop the plant-based aliens once and for all.

But with the plant-based aliens growing stronger every day, he knows that time is running out. Tom's ability to communicate with the plants becomes a double-edged sword as he learns the truth behind the aliens' intentions. He begins to hear the plants' distress and fear as they are manipulated and used as weapons against humans. It becomes increasingly difficult for Tom to balance his duty to the plant-based aliens and his desire to protect the Earth and its inhabitants. As he struggles to find a way to stop the aliens without harming the plants, Tom turns to his fellow humans for help. With the aid of a small group of like-minded individuals, he sets out to find a way to neutralize the aliens' signal without causing harm to the plants. As the final battle approaches, Tom finds himself torn between his loyalty to the plant-based aliens who had given him the gift of communication and his duty to protect the Earth. In the end, he makes a difficult decision, knowing that it may cost him his newfound power and connection to the plants. As Tom and his team continue to work on finding a way to peacefully coexist with the plant-based aliens, tensions in the city continue to rise. The plants have been attacking humans more frequently, and the military has been mobilizing to prepare for a potential conflict. The military already knows that Tom a sixteen-year-old can communicate with the plants and he is their only chance of communicating with the alien plant leader. However, they know what risk they are about to face.

Tom: "So what happens if I end up without my usual communication devices?"

Military Officer: "We have a contingency plan in place, Tom. We've planted a small bug device on you that you can use as an SOS signal if needed. It's disguised as a harmless object, so the aliens won't suspect anything."

Tom: "That's a relief. But how will I activate the bugging device?"

Military Officer: "It's easy. Just press the button on the device three times in a row, and it will send an automatic signal to our monitoring station. We'll know to send a rescue team as soon as we receive the signal."

Tom: "Got it. And what happens if the aliens find the bugging device?"

Military Officer: "We don't think they'll find it. But if they do, the bugging device is programmed to self-destruct and erase all data within five minutes. So there won't be any evidence that could put our team or you at risk."

Tom receives a message from the leader of the plant-based aliens, who says that they have discovered a new food source that could sustain both their species and humans, and they would like to negotiate a peaceful agreement. However, they request that Tom come alone to their main base to discuss the terms. Tom and his team are skeptical but decide to take the risk and go to the plant base. When they arrive, they are met with a seemingly peaceful environment, and the plant-based aliens offer them a feast of the new food source. However, Tom notices that some of his team members are becoming increasingly lethargic and unresponsive after eating the food. He confronts the plant leader, who reveals that the food source is a mind-controlling substance that would allow the plants to control the human population. The plant leader offers Tom a choice: either join them and become a part of their society or be eliminated. Tom and his team are faced with a difficult decision. They could either sacrifice themselves to stop the plant-based aliens' plan, or they could join the plants and potentially become mind-controlled and harm, other humans. With the military ready to attack and time running out, Tom and his team must make a decision that could determine the fate of both species.

Tom wouldn't make his decision he gave his signal to the military, but before Tom could get away the plant aliens threw Tom into a cell-like room;  Tom sat in a small, dimly lit room, his back pressed against the wall. His eyes darted back and forth, scanning the room for any sign of danger. He could hear the soft, rhythmic sound of the alien plants breathing outside the door, and the hairs on the back of his neck stood on end. He had lost contact with his team hours ago, and his radio crackled with static. The weight of the situation was starting to sink in, and Tom could feel the panic rising in his chest. He took a deep breath and tried to steady his nerves. He knew he had to stay calm, for his team's sake. But the thought of them out there, alone and vulnerable, was almost too much to bear. Tom closed his eyes and leaned his head back against the wall. He could hear the faint sound of gunfire in the distance, and he knew that time was running out. The rescue team had to get there soon, or they would all be lost. He whispered a silent prayer for his team's safety, and for his own. He knew that if they didn't make it out alive, it would be his fault. He had led them into this mess, and he would have to live with the consequences. Tom opened his eyes and looked down at his hands, which were shaking uncontrollably. He clenched his fists, willing himself to be strong. He had to be strong for his team, for his country, and for himself. He took another deep breath and stood up, his legs feeling like jelly. He knew that whatever happened next, he had to face it head-on. He couldn't let his fear and doubt get the best of him. He had to keep moving forward, even if it meant sacrificing everything.

Tom remembers that the alien plants seemed to be vulnerable to sound. He quickly sets his bugging device to emit a high-pitched frequency that he hopes will distract the guards and cause them to leave their posts. The plan works, and Tom is able to escape his cell. But as he's sneaking through the alien plant's underground lair, he begins to realize that the frequency from the bugging device is having an unexpected effect. The alien plants are mutating, growing larger and more aggressive, and their behavior is becoming increasingly erratic. Tom eventually reaches the surface and emerges into a dark, eerie forest. The mutated alien plants are everywhere, towering above him and closing in on all sides. He realizes that the frequency of the bugging device has triggered a massive transformation in the plants, turning them into something far more dangerous and unpredictable than he ever could have imagined. As Tom desperately tries to find a way out of the forest, he realizes that he's not alone. There's a low, rumbling sound coming from deep within the forest, and he can't shake the feeling that something is watching him, waiting for the right moment to strike. The mutated alien plants closed in on him from all sides. He can hear their twisted branches scraping against each other, creating an eerie, discordant melody that sends chills down his spine. As he runs, he realizes that the low rumbling sound is getting closer. It's a deep, guttural growl that seems to be coming from something much larger than the mutated plants. Tom knows he has to keep moving, but he's starting to feel like he's trapped in a nightmare. Suddenly, he sees a faint light in the distance. It's a glimmer of hope, and he runs towards it with everything he's got. He hears a faint sound and it distracts him because it sounds like his mom. Tom suddenly wakes up in a cold sweat, realizing that the entire experience was just a terrible nightmare. He tries to calm himself down, telling himself that it was just a figment of his imagination. But as he looks around his bedroom, he can't shake the feeling that something is still off. As he tries to get out of bed, he realizes that he can't move. It's as if his body is paralyzed, and he can only watch in horror as the walls around him start to shift and twist, morphing into grotesque, organic shapes. The sound of rustling leaves and snapping twigs fills his ears, and he realizes that the nightmare is far from over. The mutated alien plants burst through the walls of his room, their tendrils lashing out at him with deadly intent. Tom tries to scream, but no sound comes out. He's trapped, helpless, as the nightmare engulfs him. Just when he thinks he can't take it any longer, he suddenly wakes up for real, gasping for breath. This time, it's really over. But the memory of the nightmare lingers on, haunting him long after he's fully awake.

April 14, 2023 09:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Hilary R. Glick
16:00 Apr 19, 2023

Hi Carrie! Thank you for sharing your first story on Reedsy! I know from experience that the formatting on here can be a little tricky at first, especially if you write it in another format and copy/ paste into the submission box, but you will get a feel for it with a couple more stories. I loved the title of this piece, and was happy to discover it wasn't as much of a "Little Shop of Horrors" as I anticipated. I am a sucker for an alien plant story and think we could always use some more, so thanks for bringing this story to light. I am ...

Reply

Carrie Sweet
20:01 Apr 19, 2023

Hi Hilary! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback on my first story, it means a lot to me! I am glad to hear that my title helped set your expectations for the story and that you enjoyed the concept of an alien plant story. I will definitely try to be more meticulous with the formatting in future stories, and I appreciate your support. As I continue to explore different story ideas and concepts, I look forward to challenging myself as a new writer and providing readers with interesting and entertaining stories to enjoy. Again, thank yo...

Reply

Hilary R. Glick
20:10 Apr 19, 2023

That's awesome! This is such a great place to experiment and try things out and get feedback. A really great community for dipping your toes in the water, and if you have some poetry to throw in there, I would suggest it! It is nice to read stories that play with structure when there is so much of the same.

Reply

Carrie Sweet
20:16 Apr 19, 2023

Thanks for the idea I might do a twist of poetry in my stories to make it a little different.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
15:38 Apr 17, 2023

Wasn't sure who was talking or when and to whom in first paragraph. Also got a little lost on good verses bad plants. This could all be due to fact I don't always like sci-fi. Who was on Tom's team and why didn't he use his bug device to get rescued. Or did he because it made a high-pitch sound? I hope is disguised bug device looked like a bug. When all became a dream it made more sense. Welcome to Reedsy and keep on writing!

Reply

Carrie Sweet
18:50 Apr 17, 2023

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my story and for sharing your thoughts. As a new writer, I really appreciate your feedback. I'm sorry for any confusion caused by the first paragraph and the good versus bad plants. I also understand your question about Tom's team and his bug device. With a limited word count, it was a challenge to include all the necessary details and backstories. To answer your question, Tom made a high-pitched sound to distract the aliens and escape without putting his team in danger, which is why he didn't us...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathleen `Woods
02:31 Apr 16, 2023

This was really charming, I listened via E-reader on account of eyestrain, so the formatting issue isn't really there in my case. The flow as defined by the grammar and comma placement was really good by ear. The charm in overview, I think is the plot. There's a lot more of it than I generally go for in my own work, but it was nice to see exactly how complete a plot you can get down in the min/max of 1-3k words. Thanks for writing!

Reply

Carrie Sweet
08:56 Apr 16, 2023

I want to express my gratitude for taking the time to listen to my work! It's great to hear that the formatting issue didn't hinder your experience with the story. I'm also thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the flow and found the plot to be charming. Your appreciation for the completeness of the plot in such a short piece is especially meaningful to me. Thank you for your kind words and for reading! By the way, I have many more ideas that I'm eager to write out. I was a bit nervous about sharing my story, but I'm really glad that I did. Tha...

Reply

Kathleen `Woods
00:40 Apr 17, 2023

Good to know you've got more ideas to work with, those are useful for staying motivated when your starting out. Its also a lucky thing to be naturally plot oriented on here, given the most common prompt types. I want to see more from you, so remember to bother my comment section on your next post.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
22:21 Apr 15, 2023

Fun tale, Carrie. It was a fun, exciting read, and it was engaging. A couple of things: Dialogue. Don't have more than one person (or plant-based alien) speaking in the same paragraph. Break up the dialogue into different paragraphs. It's easier for the reader to follow. Paragraphs. You have some paragraphs that are very long. If you break those up a little, it's a lot easier to follow. The story flows better. Nice tale, Carrie. Welcome to Reedsy!

Reply

Carrie Sweet
08:59 Apr 16, 2023

Thank you for taking the time to read my story! I'm glad to hear that you found it engaging and exciting. I appreciate your constructive criticism about the dialogue and paragraphs. In retrospect, I can see how breaking up the dialogue and paragraphs would improve the flow of the story. I'm grateful for your suggestion and will definitely take it into account in future writing, and I'm looking forward to continuing to improve my writing skills with the help of feedback like yours.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.