0 comments

Suspense Drama Thriller

Drea knew it was impolite of her to stare but could not help it. The creature, if you could even call it that, looked surprisingly human. Not a single hair out of place. Believe it or not they looked more put together than most people she regularly comes across in her life. Dressed to the nines in a suit, and checker patterned bowtie. Sporting long black polished nails: auburn hair pulled back into a sleek bun. She would have mistaken them for another patron in the bar if it were not for their purple hued skin. 


“Let me guess you were expecting something more horrific? 


“No, I-I...” 


She stutters struggling to get words out not wanting to upset the creature or make a bad first impression thus being damned for all eternity into the deepest depths of hell. No air condition or fan in sight. She does not do well in the heat. 


“Relax, I'm not at all insulted or anything." They pause, squinting.

"Well maybe just a smidge. When everyone believes you are some sort of horned-hoofed freak who brings evil to all of humankind, it can be a difficult pill to swallow."

They suddenly have their hands in front of their face and begin to sob loudly. Couples surrounding their table look confused, some miffed at the uncomfortably loud crying.


“And if one more person calls me a purple Mystique from X-Men I am going to freaking lose it!” They shriek loudly. Drea frantically pulls napkins out of the dispenser and hands them a bunch.


“Uh there, there it’s okay Mister Devil- I mean Missus- I mean.” She stammers trying to placate them. Just then the sobbing immediately comes to a stop, a toothy grin appearing on their face.


"Please, call me Ville. Apologies for the outburst; I like to freak out the newbies. Now what can I do for you, Drea?"


Drea sits awkwardly, slightly taken aback by Ville’s rapidly changing emotions, stirring her drink. She wasn’t exactly a people person per se so; how she expected to communicate effectively with a powerful otherworldly being is beyond her. Nor was she a drinker. The martini did not offer her the liquid courage she was hoping for.


“So, what do ya want?” Ville repeated their indifference evident as she lazily tapped her nails against the table. 


“I would like to strike a deal with you please.” 


Drea impulsively speaks before she can even think of chickening out and Ville's face lights up at what they consider to be amazing news.


“Now you’re speaking my language!”  


Ville exclaims giddy as ever. Their enthusiastic reaction unsettles Drea, to say the least. Although she shouldn’t be surprised. Making deals with folks down on their luck, or whatever their reason for doing so, was the Devils' bread and butter. 


"What kind of deal are we talking about here? Money, a new car?" They pause briefly, giving her a once-over. "A romantic partner?"


Avoiding relationships like the plague comes with the territory of not being a people person yet Drea still feels mildly offended by Ville’s assumption. 


"No none of that. Lenny isn't a human."


"Okay then what is he?"


Drea rummages through her purse and takes out her cell. Drea's screensaver depicts her and her beloved dog Lenny smiling from ear to ear at the carnival that passed through town last Summer.


"This is Lenny." 


She hands her phone to Ville, and they look unimpressed.


"Cute dog. What happened to him?"


"He ran off a couple months back when I was taking him for a walk. I was on my way to the local dog park in my neighborhood and when some idiot ran a redlight causing a pretty bad car wreck. Fortunately, nobody was seriously hurt, but it spooked Lenny enough to take off in the opposite direction. Usually, I have a fairly good grip on his leash; But my head was elsewhere with the crash. And before I knew it, he was halfway down the street. I haven't seen him since."


Tears welling up in her eyes at the traumatic memory.


"I've tried putting up signs and spreading the word to friends and family but haven't had any such luck. That is why I've come to you as a last resort- no offense!" She rushes out not wanting to come off as rude.


"None taken." Ville states simply. "I can get him back for you but fair warning there's a price. Drea shifts in her chair uneasily, bracing herself for Ville's request. "When the time comes, I want you to find someone I can make a deal with."


"It could be your neighbor, an ex, or a washed-up former child pop star from the 80s. I really don't care who, as long as you find me somebody on the date I set before the stroke of midnight."


Drea wasn't born yesterday. She knows better than to take what Ville is saying at face value. There is probably an ulterior motive at play here that has yet to be revealed. Maybe if God were on her side, he would shine some light on what that may be, but that ship has long since sailed. Either way what they are requesting seems suspiciously too good to be true. She fully expected to be asked to do something much more reprehensible such as killing a man or kidnapping a baby. 


"All I have to do is find someone else for you to make a deal with and I can have my Lenny back?"


"Yes, easy as pie."


"And what happens if I don't hold up my end of the bargain?"


"Then you can kiss him goodbye."


This is a huge risk and if she refuses to go through with it at least she might still be able to walk out of here with her dignity intact. But Lenny was her best friend and confidant, she couldn't just leave him behind. Sure, she could go back to the drawing board and reach out to family and the few friends she did have in her life to help spread the word, but she's been at it for months and it's gotten her zilch.


After a couple more minutes of asking herself whether she should see this through she sighs, finally coming to a decision.


"Okay I accept. If this is what it takes to get Lenny back, then I agree to your terms."


"Perfect!" Ville exclaims excitedly clapping their hands. 


A Polaroid camera materializes out of thin air at the snap of their fingers. 


"Say cheese!"


They snap a photo, the flash nearly blinding her.


"Aren't I supposed to sign a contract or something?" Drea said, blinking slowly trying to get rid of the spots emerging in her vision from the bright light.


"Contracts are old school and nobody actually ever reads em anyway. This way all you gotta do is sign the picture and you're good to go." 


A loud whirring sound comes from the camera as the picture begins processing slowly. Ville yanks it out when it is done, tossing it towards her. Drea examines the look of surprise displayed on her face. If she had not taken it for the Devil themselves, she would find the picture somewhat amusing.


"You can see the deadline I gave you to finish your task on the back of the picture. Please, kindly, and on the dotted line, sign your first and last name."


Tuesday November 25th, 2022, 😈


Gasping at the date and rereading it more than once to make sure she is not seeing things. "I have until my birthday." She mutters quietly.


"Yessiree Bob! Which is T minus 20 days from now and counting. I suggest you get a move on.


"But that isn't nearly enough time I can't possibly-"


"Ah, ah ah." 


Ville tuts their finger while holding up their long black manicured nail.


"A deal's a deal." They declare sternly.


Crap. There were only two and a half weeks left for Drea to complete her task. It was stupid of her to believe even for a second that she would have all the time in the world. The Devil does not owe her, let alone anyone for that matter, anything. It feeds off the sorrow and fear of others. And she was undoubtedly experiencing those feelings strongly. 


Drea Smith.


She reluctantly signs onto the back of the picture.


"Look on the bright side. If you don't, ya know, screw things up, you get to have Lenny back at least temporarily, and possibly permanently."


Drea frowns. Their attempt at making her feel better feels ingenuine. Sadly, reminding her of the fact that if she fails to pull this off, she will lose him again; forever.


"Well, this has been pleasant, but I've got a ton of things left on my to-do list to complete. It's been a pleasure doing business with you! Oh, and tell Lenny I said hi." 


They reach for Drea's hand, shaking it firmly. A chill runs through her body while shaking the Devil's hand. If she weren't damned to Hell before she certainly was now. 


"I'll be seeing you."


They head out of the bar before she can get another word in although there isn't much left to say. All she can really look forward to is knowing that when she arrives home Lenny will be there.



---------



"I still can't believe you did all of this for some dog. Jeez, how pathetic."


Jeremy said condescendingly. Drea stiffened at yet another one of his insults. She immediately regretted telling him about what kind of deal she had made with the Devil. He's been a complete jerk about it ever since. If she had to hear another one of his remarks she was going to "accidentally" spill her drink on him and excuse herself to the washroom. She'd much rather be back at her apartment cuddled up with Lenny binge watching her favorite romcoms. Reveling in the sweet birthday messages she's received from her friends and family.


But instead, she is stuck at an overpriced restaurant with some dude she found off some niche Facebook group trying not to lose her cool; Waiting for Ville to show up, whenever the hell that may be. Because of this, she is currently forced to spend the way with him. Under different circumstances Jeremy wouldn't have been her first choice either, but she was three days short of the deadline and hadn't made any progress, so she settled for what she could find in the short amount of time she had.


She made several attempts at small talk, but he had an annoying habit of redirecting the topic at hand back to her. Not to mention he clammed up when she asked him about the type of deal he intended to make with the Devil. She had been tempted by her curiosity to question him about it further but knew he wouldn't budge.


"So, what do you like to do for fun, any hobbies?"


Drea asked, yet again trying to keep the trying to keep the conversation going. She all but despised conversing with him, but it was either that or wait in uncomfortable silence before Jeremy inevitably ends up mocking her again.


"Most of my time is spent at work. I don't have much of it to spare on "hobbies" or "fun". He downs his water in one go after clearing his throat. Followed by a loud belch. She winces at the gross act.


"What is it that you do for work if you don't mind me asking?" 


"I work in finance. What about you do you have any other hobbies or pastimes other than being creepily obsessed with your dog?" Drea scoffs at the assumption but presses on.

"You're doing it again." 

"Doing what?" 

"In the brief period I've come to know you, I've noticed that you tend to avoid any questions I've posed. Why?"


"Because I don't know you." He spoke bluntly. "I'm not exactly in a rush to spill all of my dirty little secrets to a complete stranger." She rolled her eyes at that.

"Sharing what you like to do for fun is hardly a dirty little secret. And besides, I've answered all of your questions."


"Good for you." He said pointedly.

"Believe me when I say I don't expect anything from you. You decided to open up all on your own therefore exposing yourself to judgement."

Drea let out a frustrated sigh at the conversation unsurprisingly going nowhere.

"You know what? Forget I said anything. Let's just sit here and not talk at all anymore."

"Fine by me." He responds in kind.


Suddenly the lights begin to dim and then go out. Cloaking them in darkness. They instantly turn back on just as quickly. "You must be Jeremy." The abrupt presence of Ville seated next to Drea startles them both. Dressed in their trademark suit and bowtie, black nails, and slicked back hair.


"What's with the stares? I like to make an entrance every now and then, sue me." Ville shrugs, extending their hand to Jeremy's.


"Pleasure doing business with you."


He nods, shaking it firmly.


"Uh yeah that's me. Forgive me for getting straight to it but can we go somewhere more private to make the deal?"


Ville's eyes sparkle at his admission.


"You don't have to tell me twice, let's get this show on the road."

They beckon towards the restaurant's exterior.


"Lead the way."


Jeremy quickly leaves without so much as a goodbye. Not that she expected one. Good riddance. Ville swiftly reaches into Drea's chair-mounted handbag.


"Hey!"


They pull out the picture that they took of her weeks ago and it burns to a crisp in their palm. A gust of wind caused by the front door opening and closing sweeps the ashes away.

"Well done, Drea, for holding up your end of the bargain. I will admit that I had my doubts; but you delivered. Lenny is all yours." 


"So that's it, I'm done? Lenny will still be there when I go home?"


She asks in disbelief. Wanting to believe all of this was finally over but needed to hear Ville's reassurance again before she could fully be at ease.


"Nope no tricks, you're good to go. Lenny will eagerly be awaiting your arrival when you return home. Now I would love to stay and chat, but I have a client to attend to. Tootles!"


Ville leaves, practically skipping out the restaurant.


Drea cannot help but feel relieved. Even if there is a chance that this could be a trap, she does not want to think about it. Ville is Jeremy's problem now. She finishes her drink and orders herself a celebratory birthday cupcake to go, before paying and heading out to hail a cab home. 


"He wants to watch the world burn."


A voice calls out to her in front of the restaurant. To her surprise, Ville was still loitering outside, smoking a cigarette. Jeremy nowhere to be seen.


"Sorry?" 


"Before we made our deal, he told me he wanted to watch the world burn."


Ville's ominous words instantly caused a knot to form in Drea's stomach.


"What's that supposed to mean, what kind of deal did Jeremy make?"


She asked shakily. Ville took one last drag from their cigarette and exhaled a plume of smoke into the brisk cold November air. Flicking what's left of it onto the ground, crushing the bud with their heel. They once again don the same frightening toothy grin they had shown her weeks earlier.


"Don't worry you'll find out soon enough." Ville cryptically responds with a wink then disappears back into the restaurant.


He wants to watch the world burn.


Ville's words play back in her head, not having the slightest idea as to what Jeremy could have meant. He had not given her any clues as to what kind of deal he was going to make. And Ville's last words to her undoubtedly sounded like a warning. She did a good thing right? Lenny was saved, that's what was important right? She wasn't entirely sure anymore. The Devil was betting on her finding the one bad apple in the bunch and sending them their way, then they could work their magic as they see fit. And that is exactly what she had done. She fell for it hook, line and sinker. She foolishly put Jeremy onto the Devil's path and now everyone may pay a very steep price for it.


He wants to watch the world burn.


It already seemed to be burning fiercely for her.


September 15, 2023 23:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.