23 comments

Romance Historical Fiction Drama

Dear hearts and gentle people, let me tell you the tale of the dreadful scandal at Viscountess Agatha Grenville’s Ball.


DEVONSHIRE 1812 CE

Viscountess Agatha Grenville’s Wentworth Residence

Out of kindness, Lady Agatha had invited her widowed niece-in-law to stay at magnificent Wentworth Hall. This is the notorious Mrs. Rowena Findlay, formerly married to Robert, the son of Lady Agatha’s brother Stuart. Rowena’s Aunt, by marriage, wanted to provide her with company and pleasant surroundings to lift her spirits after her tragic loss. Rowena had descended into severe melancholia during ten months of mourning, and her family despaired over her.


Lady Agatha also planned a magnificent Wentworth end of Winter Ball and sent invites to the most refined of the ton. She set in motion preparations for this event. Widow Rowena would remain in her room during the festivities, naturally.


When Rowena arrived by coach, picked up by Lady Agatha’s son, Viscount Richard, in the family’s carriage, he saw a vivacious, happy young woman. She dressed in lavender and black, enhanced by an amethyst necklace and earrings. No black net concealed her face, and her hat sat coquettishly and improperly on her flowing, black, un-coifed hair. Her huge smile seemed wrong, the introduction of color and jewelry into her wardrobe a faux pas, and the way she flirted with her cousin-in-law Richard did not sit well with Aunt Agatha.


Rumor has it, “By the time she spent a few days at Wentworth Hall, she had upset the servants with her hoity-toity manners, offended Lady Agatha with her lack of decorum while in mourning, and thrown a tantrum about not attending the Ball. Her cousin-in-law, Richard, took her side.”

“I’m not Cinderella!” she raged. “I refuse to be locked away. I want an opportunity to meet a future husband!”


Overbearingly persuasive, Lady Agatha couldn’t be trifled with. As a way to heel in this audacious virago, Aunt Agatha agreed to let her attend. Instructions for Rowena included wearing black and being seated in the retiring room the entire evening. In the meantime, her behavior needed to improve, or she would be sent home earlier than planned. This warning seemed to rein her in.


While at the dressmaker’s, this young woman put in an order for an additional gown. A flamboyant deep green satin, low-necked version of the usual formal ball dresses worn by young women. When the family’s newly made ball gowns and robes were delivered, the additional dress resided in its box, which Rowena secreted away in preparation for the great day. Rowena thanked her aunt graciously for the suitable, demure outfits provided for everyday use - ones fitting for her second six months of mourning.

***

MANCHESTER

Findlay’s Mill, Tom’s Office.

Tom Findlay, son of Aunt Agatha’s brother Albert, grabbed his letter opener for the missive from his aunt. She rarely wrote to him unless it was urgent. He wondered what household dramas she had been enduring.


“My dear nephew, Thomas,

I heard about the imminent arrival of your cousin Matthew and his wife, Olivia. Also, his daughter Evelyn, sister Penny, and sister-in-law Rowena, the widow of our dear Robert. Whatever they plan, please take care around cousin-in-law Rowena. She stayed with us recently at Wentworth Hall to recuperate from her melancholic state after Robert’s unfortunate passing. We regret offering her respite, as the whole debacle has left me poorly and out of sorts.


Rowena is hunting for a new husband. She made this clear and ruined our recent Ball with her regrettable behavior. She is no grieving widow, even though her year of mourning isn’t completed. Her atrocious conduct at our Ball turned our family into a laughingstock. The gentry were not amused.


Wearing an outrageous gown, she set her cap at every unsuitable young man present, danced merrily with every rake, became inebriated, and had to be physically removed while protesting most vulgarly. Scandalous. I am overcome by the vapors whenever I think about it. My lady friends had to take copious sniffs of smelling salts.


We sent her home the following day, and her male callers bombarded us for weeks. We have refused to give out her details. I no longer view her as one of the family.


Please, ensure she does not further besmirch our reputations while she is in Manchester. Please do not tell my brother Albert because his heart may not take it.


Affectionately

Aunt Agatha.”


Tom laughed out loud about what had happened. He felt concern for Rowena, whom he had always had a soft spot for, as he knew in an instant what terrible mix-up had occurred. Both Aunt Agatha’s and Rowena’s names had been disgraced. Olivia had masqueraded as the grieving widow at Aunt Agatha’s. An appalling rendition of her sister. But why? How could Rowena have let her do this? Had Matthew known? What would he say about this impersonation?


Olivia and Rowena had both married his cousins. Robert, now deceased, had fallen in love with Rowena, who is lovely in looks and nature. Her identical twin Olivia, the crass and bold one, had married Matthew. Their family, not his, had reservations about Matthew’s wisdom in marrying the black sheep, twin sister, Olivia. The two girls reminded one of Aunt Agatha’s adored, Persian cat versus an alley cat. The difference between dawn and dusk.

***

All will be revealed. Another secret I will whisper to you, my friends, which is not for the gossip columns, is verging into the realms of fiction. Matthew, Rowena, and Penny are not as they seem. After the scandal at Aunt Agatha’s, these three became three other individuals who are visiting from an earlier time, not by choice. As these three try to adjust to their new lives while trying to be who they are not (a familiar theme is happening here), they will learn about Olivia’s appalling behavior. Like a rock thrown into a pond, the transverse ripples will move outwards over the entire surface. They will regret taking on these lives.

***

Daughter Evelyn shared many facts. Matthew and Olivia argued, which revealed a lot about the marriage. Each time Matthew, Penny, or Rowena had a chance to discuss any new titbit they learned about the family, they chatted without Olivia or young Evelyn present. To date, upon arrival at Liverpool after their voyage, they knew Rowena had become a widow, and Olivia had taken Rowena’s place at Aunt Agatha’s. It suited Olivia to have her sister-in-law Penny look after Evelyn. Olivia hated her sister Rowena and was bitterly angry if either Rowena or Matthew even looked at each other. Rowena was in the early stage of the family way and assumed the baby she carried must be her dead husband’s . . .


When they arrived at the Liverpool docks, they looked for Cousin Tom. They had no idea what he looked like. Olivia had more knowledge and identified their numerous portmanteaus and trunks.


Once everything and everyone had been safely installed in the Berlin coach owned by Tom’s father, they went to have refreshments, proceed through the town and countryside, and stay overnight at the Black Swan Inn.


The Black Swan Inn

After their meal, the ladies retired for the evening, but Tom and Matthew went to drink. Evelyn insisted on giving her father and Tom kisses and hugs before she left. The proprietor Seth showed them the men’s only part of the establishment, a public house - a quiet night with only a few other locals present. Matthew and Tom sat in some wooden, upholstered chairs by the fire. Tom offered Matthew an ale. He declined but accepted a cider from Seth. Tom received an ale.

“Unusual for you, Matt,” said Tom. “We always enjoy a drink together. Are you ill?”

“My drinking has been a problem. I’m under a lot of pressure and need all my wits about me.”

Tom nodded. “I know what you mean. It almost puts me off marriage, knowing your problems with Olivia. You know, cuz, just because Rob married Rowena didn’t mean you had to marry her twin sister. Their natures are not at all similar. I know about Olivia’s latest escapade. Our dear Aunt wrote to me after Rowena stayed. She wanted to support her after Rob's death. She doesn’t know these two ladies as we do. When I read the letter, I knew the truth. Olivia went in her stead!”

“Was it that bad?” said Matthew.

“Of course! She behaved abominably. Typical Olivia. Grieving widow she was not. She flitted about, being a social butterfly and wearing brighter colors than our aunt thought seemly. She set her cap at all the young men. Olivia insisted she was done with wearing black and felt it was time to find a husband!”

“I had no idea she’d gone. She persuaded Rowena to masquerade as her. Apparently, she wanted to have fun.”

“You must have realized! Rowena is nothing like Olivia.”

“Well, I did afterward. But don’t forget that Rowena knows Olivia better than any of us. She pulled it off better than Olivia did. We knew Olivia had been dispatched early, though she never explained why.”

“It’s hard to imagine quiet little Rowena managing a masquerade. I used to think Rob had married the right sister, but now I wish you had married Rowena. She doesn’t deserve to be a widow.”

“Olivia created the ‘scandal.’”

Tom frowned in puzzlement. “That was nothing. I haven’t told our aunt about the switch. You wrote me about a huge scandal. You’d decided to go to Liverpool and eventually to the New World. I want you to stay with me first as I have a business proposition for you. Before I tell you about it, tell me what you meant about a huge scandal. It worried you.”

Matthew looked at him with a frown . . . “How long has it been since Rob died?”

“Let’s see,” said Tom, pondering, “Well over a year. Because I visited you all shortly after the funeral. After winter.”

Matthew looked down and changed the subject. “Something truly great about being married to Olivia is our daughter.”

“Oh yes, she’s a peach. A cute as sixpence. Nothing at all like her mother. Thank goodness!”


The following day, they left with packed lunches. At midday, they picnicked on a riverbank, surrounded by weeping willow-cherry trees in full bloom. Idyllic. Afterward, they stretched their legs. Matthew and Penny walked one way, and Olivia took Evelyn the other. Tom finally had a chance to speak with Rowena . . .


A surprising thing happened the day Tom sat on the banks of the river talking to his cousin by marriage, Rowena. The blossom petals of the nearby trees floated around them like confetti sprinkles. For a horrible moment, he thought he looked at Olivia. Then he relaxed and concluded, from her speech and bright-eyed attention, that it was the lovely Rowena. He became self-conscious as he gazed into her beautiful green eyes, wondering if she sensed his attraction to her. This was not a shy, retiring young lady who had always averted her gaze. Rowena spoke openly. Had her husband’s death given her confidence? They conversed so easily, the minutes flew, and they had to carry on their journey, too soon.


He had not wanted their conversation to end and couldn’t dispel her from his thoughts. This had never happened. His whole life revolved around his father’s business venture. Now, he kept on longing to speak with her again. What had come over him? What had come over Rowena to change so much for the better?


MANCHESTER Findlay’s Mill

Over the following two months, Tom did his best to dissuade Matthew from taking the family back to Liverpool. Meanwhile, Matthew, Penny, and Rowena had paid work assignments at the Mill.


Evelyn became ill, and the doctor advised moving away from Manchester and the dampness of the nearby river for her improved health. Matthew decided they would all pack and leave in two days.


That night, Tom tossed and turned in his bed. He thought hard. The time had come, right or not, to speak to Rowena. He rehearsed over and over what he would say. It wasn’t a case of trying to keep them all here. But the thought of losing Rowena made him distraught. Thus far, whenever he tried to broach the subject, she firmly told him, “I’ve got to go with the family.” His heart was breaking.


The next day at the Mill, he called her from her tasks and invited her to his office. As soon as the door closed, Rowena looked up at him shyly and held out a rolled-up sheet of paper tied with a ribbon—a page from a sketch pad he had gifted her.

“This is for you to remember me.”

He unrolled it and gasped at the beautiful sketch—a detailed self-portrait of a young woman, Rowena, holding the posy of flowers he had given her the week before. Her portrait looked out at him, brimful of pleasure and wonder. She had been grateful, after all.

“This is wonderful. I was worried that you didn’t like the flowers.”

“Tom, I was embarrassed when you gave them in front of Matthew and Olivia.”

“What on earth does it have to do with them?”

She shook her head and shrugged. This frustrated him. He placed the sketch on his desk and turned to her.


He decided that actions may speak louder than words. He stepped forward and swiftly put one arm around Rowena’s shoulders while supporting her head with his other hand. He bent and gently kissed her on the lips. He feared she would turn away, but she reciprocated equally gently, encircling her arms around him. After a while, his passion for her increased, and he felt hers did as well. He stopped. The fingers of one hand, held her chin up so he could ascertain her reaction. However, aside from looking a little pink with embarrassment, he saw tears welling. Filled with concern, he cuddled her.

“Please don’t cry,” he said. “I mean you no harm.” She clung to him and cried softly, hiding her face against his chest.

“This is not goodbye,” he said, feeling more confident now that he knew she had feelings for him. Apprehensive butterflies filled his stomach. “Rowena, I want to marry you. I have thought of nothing else. You must feel the same way. I couldn’t bear it if you left.”

Rowena didn’t say anything.

He held her shoulders with his hands and made her look at him. “I have never wanted to force my feelings on you in case you didn’t feel the same, but now I know the truth. Tell me what the problem is . . . please.”

She wept. “If I tell you, you’ll hate me. I don’t want you to hate me.”

“Rowena, I could never hate you. There is nothing about you that I could even dislike.”

“You - you don’t know about me.”

“Rowena, I have known you for a long time. You are perfection, the loveliest woman I have ever met.”

***

 She knew he needed the truth.

“It’s a secret.” For a moment, she paused, savoring the last seconds of his adoration, knowing that with her following sentence, his goodwill would be gone forever.

“I’m with child. It’s Matthew’s.” She watched his expression change from one of concern to shock. She hung her head in shame. He did have the right to be shocked. She looked up. After a few seconds, an expression of understanding dawned on his face.

“This was all Olivia’s fault,” he said, conclusively. “She left you with Matthew and took your place when she went to stay with our aunt. It happened then. Matthew’s ‘huge scandal.’ It all makes sense. Am I right?”

“Matthew is so sorry. They are protecting me.”

“They are also protecting themselves.”

 “And they want my child.”

“Yes, that would be helpful for you. However, there’s no need anymore. I’ll marry you. It will be ours. I can’t understand why Matthew didn’t just tell me!”

Rowena started to cry but with relief. “I never expected you to want to help me. I’ve been so desperate.”

“Rowena, you are silly. I never loved you when you were Rob’s wife because you never let me get acquainted. But I have always known you are a good woman. Even if the child was Rob’s, I would gladly marry you. I love you. This is why I have been saying you don’t need to go with them. I will tell both Matthew and Olivia. They can’t take you.”

“But Matthew wants his child. You don’t know him as I do.”

Tom looked surprised.

She continued, “It’s best to say nothing now and pretend I’m going. Trust me. When they are leaving, I just won’t be there. Simple. Matthew will become distraught, but you must make him go. I’m glad the doctor advised them to take Evelyn away from here for her health. They have to go. But Matthew is not objective where I am concerned.”

“I believe I should talk with him today.”

“It will make things worse. You have no idea.”

He gave Rowena a hug and a kiss on each cheek. “You have made me the happiest man on earth! I would love for us to sneak away and get married now!”

“This is the best way. We have to wait. It will only be another day.”

They both looked at each other. The solution was simple, and they were both in love with no more secrets . . .

“What about Aunt Agatha?” she said.

“Just leave her to me. I’ll tell her the truth about Olivia. And if I tell her your child is mine, she will insist I marry you. Makes her warning letter a bit of a sore point if she doesn’t believe Olivia ruined her Ball. The rumors are killing her.” He smiled conspiratorially.

The End


June 11, 2024 23:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

23 comments

Daniel Rogers
00:51 Jun 20, 2024

Olivia created a scene, not doubt, but man alive, Rowena took the show. 🤣

Reply

03:45 Jun 20, 2024

She deserved it. The story hints at how it happened. Quiet, shy Rowena was a defenseless creature. The later Rowena would never have ended up in such a delicate situation. It is inferred that Matthew has a drinking problem but after realizing what he did, (taken advantage of Rowena) he's sobered up fast. Taken responsibility. Thank goodness Tom is there and cares about Rowena. I like that, 'Rowena took the show.' Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
06:37 Jun 17, 2024

Hey Kaitlyn, Crikey, what a tangled web of deceit and family intrigue. You captured the rigid formality of the period so perfectly that I’m sure I could feel the gentle pressure of a starched shirt collar clasping my neck. You also did well to control the level of tension throughout the story as we ascended to the moment of truth, allowing us to relax, after all was revealed. Will there be more from these characters at some point? It’d be interesting to discover Aunt Agatha’s reaction….. Well done HH

Reply

08:35 Jun 17, 2024

Glad you enjoyed it, Howard. As for more from these characters it all depends on how the prompts go. I think there needs to be more about them because it was hard to keep such complexity to 3000 words. There is so much more to the characters Matthew and Rowena.

Reply

Howard Halsall
09:45 Jun 17, 2024

I’m sure you could have lots of fun with a rogue twin story, Kaitlyn. It has all the attributes of a gripping book… :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Devon Cano
04:51 Jun 17, 2024

This was a fun read (and not just because my name is Devon, named after Devonshire). Great work!

Reply

08:29 Jun 17, 2024

Thanks, Devon. I have to laugh at the 'fun' you mention. I do write fun stories, but this wasn't intended to be one of those. LOL.

Reply

Devon Cano
20:42 Jun 17, 2024

Lol, I apologize, fun probably wasn’t the word to use. I meant more along the lines that it was enjoyable to read/I found the twists and turns interesting. I do always laugh when characters like the Aunt are “overcome by the vapors” or have to “take copious sniffs of smelling salts,” though, but they’re always funny. What I meant to say was great work, haha!

Reply

21:13 Jun 17, 2024

LOL. Thanks, Devon. It is rather dramatic of them.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
08:05 Jun 16, 2024

This is a real regency style story and fits the prompt perfectly. Plenty of scandal and with a nice twist to keep us on our toes. Liked the Aunt Agatha character- I see her as tall, imposing and determined to control everything, but failing miserably. Imagine having to wear shades of black for a whole year!

Reply

08:23 Jun 16, 2024

Thanks, Helen. Actually, she may have got away with some added color if she hadn't been so rude and brazen. LOL.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
McKade Kerr
22:43 Jun 15, 2024

Wow, this was a very different style than usual, but you did it really well. I'm impressed!

Reply

04:36 Jun 16, 2024

Thanks for being impressed, McKade. Yes, I've stuck with humor for a while now. I didn't start off this way in Reedsy. Though, I have written humor in the past. I see the funny side of life, easily. This story is a return to how I often write. The prompt inspired me to get this one together.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
08:16 Jun 13, 2024

This prompt suits you. I thought it was going to be a difficult prompt, but you demonstrated that you had it under control. Nicely done, Kaitlyn.

Reply

21:47 Jun 13, 2024

Thanks for reading and commenting, Darvico. Suits me? LOL. I thought the wit and humor I've dished up lately in a number of stories suits me too. Surprising what happens when there is a different kind of prompt to be inspired by.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
18:44 Jun 12, 2024

A Regency Era soap ! So detailed ! Lovely work. The imagery on this is just stunning !

Reply

21:06 Jun 12, 2024

Thanks Alexis. Praise indeed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim LaFleur
09:45 Jun 12, 2024

The twist with Olivia impersonating Rowena was brilliantly executed. Well done! 🌟

Reply

10:02 Jun 12, 2024

Thanks for your encouragement. Glad you thought it was well done. One always takes a chance with setting up twists. Will they work? Are they confusing?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:04 Jun 12, 2024

You really capture the mood of the bridgerton era in this, especially with your word choice and way you described the characters personality. Olivia impersonating Rowena was a clever twist I didn't see coming.

Reply

04:44 Jun 12, 2024

Thanks, Scott. Puts Rowena in a terrible situation with Aunt Agatha if she won't believe the truth.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
00:23 Jun 12, 2024

Somewhat complicated affairs.

Reply

01:43 Jun 12, 2024

I felt it fitted the prompt quite well. It was a nightmare to keep it within 3000 words, leaving it understandable despite being a complicated plot. Thanks for reading and liking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.