Beauty and the Taxidermist

Submitted into Contest #102 in response to: Write about a mysterious figure in one’s neighborhood.... view prompt

2 comments

Romance Fiction Happy

We sat huddled in the bushes waiting with baited breath for him to come out. The blue A-frame was on the outside of town. The town folks thought he was mysterious. Once a month he would go into town for groceries and wouldn't be seen until the next month. His quietness made me want to talk to him even more, but my parents banned me. I guess I just never got around to it. He got his paper delivered at the same time every day. The oak door creaked open as a eighteen year old man with black hair looked outside for danger. His brown eyes looked over at the bushes we were in.

"That's funny. Everyone said he was old." My friend Lucille whispered to me. Before I could respond, my friend crashed down next to me making the bushes ruffle. She popped up running off, leaving me to be discovered. His paper was in his hand as he looked down at my long wavy brown haired dumb ass.

"Oh, wonderful another town stalker just trying to see my strange ass. " He mumbled as he turned to leave. "You seem different though. Most people turn tail as soon as I see them. Why are you still here?" My face blushed bright red as I stood up. Nervously I smoothed my black rockabilly dress.

"I just wanted to get to know you, I guess." I admitted sheepishly looking away. "I just didn't know how to approach it." His face filled with confusion at my statement.

"Come on it then." He whispered looking around for anyone else. "I would love your company." My flats clicked against the hard ground as he guided me into the blue A-frame. My eyes filled with wonder as I looked around. Warm wood tones greeted me as I looked around the one room house. In the right corner was a mini white metal kitchen, while in the other side was a black Murphy bed. On the walls were stuffed birds and other woodland creature.

"You do taxidermy." I exclaimed calmly with a soft smile. "I think it is a beautiful art. Who taught you?" A crooked grin lit up his face as he looked at me oddly.

"That is odd. Most people are frightened by it." He stated scratching the back of his head. "You are the pretty girl collecting bones in my woods." My breath got knocked out of me as he said that. So, he did see me after all.

"I put their skeletons back together." I muttered while shifting anxiously. "Sorry if that creeps you out. So who taught you?" Chuckling to himself, he rolled his eyes.

"I do taxidermy. There is no way that it would ever creep me out." He teased waving his hand casually. "My father taught. In fact this is the way I make my living. I sell my art online to buyers. Honestly it surprises me that so many people are into it. Do you want to see my station?" Shrugging, I followed him out the back slider door to a small metal workshop.

"Did you say I was pretty?" I inquired with furrowed brows. Before I could say anything else, he pulled open the metal door to reveal his workspace. Organized totes held all of his supplies while a freezer hummed behind me.

"Maybe I did, or maybe I didn't." He teased with a shrug. "What of it if I did?" A heavy pause in the air hung around us as we both looked sheepishly away.

"Most people look at me like I am the devil in town, so I don't understand why you think I am pretty." I stammered turning to leave. "Even my parents despise me." He ran his hand through his hair as he grabbed my shaking hand. My heart started to beat out of my chest as I turned to face him. His hand was shaking as well.

"No one in your life is worth it if they keep trying to change you." He fumed as he let go. "You should surround yourself with people who love you for you." Rolling my eyes, my arms crossed as hot salty tears formed in my eyes.

Lucille popped up in the doorway with Samantha and her clones from town. Cruel looks danced on their faces as they chewed their gum loudly. Samantha had on a white summer dress and brown sandals. Her clones all wore the same one as they giggled childishly. My heart smashed into a thousand pieces as Lucille was just pretending to be my friend.

"Good job, Lucy." Samantha jeered as she got up in my face. "The bone girl is with the boy who plays with dead animals. Did you kill anything together yet?" The clones laughed until she snapped her fingers.

"Get out!" He yelled as his fists were clenched tight. "She is more beautiful than you will ever be." Samantha laughed evilly to herself as she blew a pink bubble in my face. Wincing, I fell down as it popped. Dust and dirt flew up around me.

"Shane Toffy, is it?" She asked as she stalked towards him. "You do know that Sabrina Smyth is a freak. You are almost cute enough for me." Scoffing, he picked me up off of the ground, and wrapped his arms around me. Warmness washed over me for the first time in my life I felt wanted.

"Then she is my freak." He firmly exclaimed with a squeeze. "Go away before your plastic melts my day." Rolling her eyes, she sauntered away. Her clones clicked away after her. His brown eyes looked into mine as he lifted my chin up with his finger.

"Did you really mean all of that?" I queried with a shaky voice. "Why did you stand up for me? I am used to it." His hand pat the top of my head as he smiled down at me.

"Don't you think we should be together?" He replied with a small chuckle. "Bones and taxidermy go together like peanut butter and jelly. Besides, I have been watching, just as you have been watching me." My heart stopped beating as he leaned down and pressed his lips against mine. His body melted into mine as he spun me around. Time stopped around us, as the noise faded to nothing. Slowly time melted back as he pulled away from me.

"Why did that feel so right?" I wondered out loud. "It is like we met before this." With a crooked grin, he tucked a piece of hair behind my ear.

"You must be my soulmate." He concluded as his heart beat out of his chest. "Do you want to be my bones to my body?" Laughing to myself, my feet shuffled nervously in the dirt. Instead of answering with words, I kissed his lips with a burning passion. Clearing his throat, he guided me back into his house for some tea.

July 09, 2021 20:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

16:45 Jul 25, 2021

I like your romantic story a lot, "beauty is in the eyes of those who look at it". Nice!

Reply

Yvette Francaise
16:02 Jul 26, 2021

Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.