0 comments

Teens & Young Adult Contemporary Friendship

“WHAT?!” I yelled at the lady behind the desk. My eyes bulged out of their sockets. 

I pounded my fist on the marbled table which I regretted immediately when my hand ached. I only bit the insides of my cheeks to stop myself from swearing. The lady still had a smile on her lips but her eyes were sorry. She’s beautiful, her hair neatly pinned up into a bun that made me want to punch it. 

I know, I know that she was just doing her job, but I wished they told me this sooner and not drop the bomb the moment I walked through those doors. Dang it, I’m gonna kill my sister for this. 

“Will you excuse me for a moment” I held up a finger and she nodded in relief.

I opened my phone and dialed my sister’s number 

“Sup,” she said casually after two rings

“Did you know about this?” 

“Know what?”

“That the trip you voluntarily booked it's actually for two and now I am forced to share that room with a stranger!” I rambled on the phone, my voice rising and I felt the stares of the other tourists around me. I didn’t care, I was used to it by now.

“Then look for another hotel! It’s that easy Mia, you didn’t need to call me in the middle of the night!

“I can't, there are no other hotels! Ugh, Martha what do I do?”

“Then stay! Your roommate could be a nice person”

I let out a frustrated sigh and pushed my fringe, “I knew this bargain trip was too good to be true” 

“You were overreacting Mia, I told you not to go from the start”

No, I wasn’t. If she were in my shoes she would have acted the way that I did. I just needed to get out of there, to get out of the spotlight. 

“Plus, what can you expect on a cheap and sudden vacation trip?”

“I don’t know,” I sighed

“Fine, I’ll deal with this”

“Mia” her voice became serious

My heartbeat quickened, I knew what she was about to say, I knew where this conversation would be heading. 

“Please, talk to him”

“I won’t, I’ve seen enough” with that, I hung up on my sister. 

I peered down at my phone and debated whether I should keep it on or turn everything off. Of course, I needed this to update my family that I was still alive, but I had to stick to the reason why I’m on this trip. And that is to isolate myself. 

Without second thoughts, I turned off all my notifications. No message or call would be getting through, for at least three days.  

I held the key towards the doorknob, my palms felt clammy, and if I didn’t tightly grip on the key I knew it would have slipped. Ok, what if this is a bad idea? What if my roommate is a serial killer and is planning to do a killing spree? 

It took a lot of willpower for me to not run back down the lobby. With a deep breath, I turned the knob. 

Immediately I was greeted by loud music from the TV, rock music to be exact. Clothes were strewn around the room, two hot pink luggage were open and more clothes were spilling out. A single bikini top was hanging on the lamp by the bed. Oh my god, at least I knew that my roommate was a girl. 

“ Oh what do we have here,” A thick Australian accent filled my ears, I turned to see a blonde head girl emerging from the bathroom with a towel wrapped around her bodice

“I reckon you’re my roommate are you?” she did the air quotation on the word roommate

I nodded slowly at her 

“The name is Lizzie short of Elizabeth” she held out her hand with water dripping. She just got out of the shower

“Mia” I shook her hand

“Well Mia, I’m not going to lie I’m a bit disappointed that you are not a boy but at least you’re not a killer.” she paused in front of the first bed and turned

“Are you?”

“Nope, I can guarantee you that” 

She then started dressing up in front of me and I had to look away and awkwardly examined the odd-looking painting on top of the bed.

“Sorry, I’m used to doing this in front of my five sisters. We share rooms very often” She shimmied her denim shorts on and tied a tank top. 

“You have sisters?”

“Just one” I cleared my throat then settled my bag by the window 

“So Mia, what brought you here? I’m certain that this trip is spontaneous to you as it is to me” She cocked her right eyebrow up, crossing her arms over her chest.

I fiddled on the buttons of my denim jacket and gave her a tight-lipped smile “I needed to get away” 

“That bad huh?” I shrugged 

She walked over to my side, wrapping her arm around my shoulder. She smelled citrusy and also the familiar scent of hotel bathroom products

“Well, you’re one lucky fellow to have me as your roommate. We are going to have the best three days of our lives” 

I swallowed hard, oh boy. 

The next day Lizzie had practically dragged me out of bed. I’m not much of a morning person. She pulled me to the breakfast buffet with my hair still all tousled on top of my head. 

“Girl, you gotta show some excitement on this trip, where is the drive that made you hopped on the plane?” 

People ruining my mornings had become a staple in my life, isn’t it? 

With a grunt, I plopped an omelet on my plate. 

At the corner of my eye, I saw two girls whispering, looking down their phone and back up on me. I turned away immediately, Lizzie jumped a little by my sudden movement. I nearly hit her plate. I stumbled with my words, my mouth opening and closing.

“Spit it out, mate” 

“Well- I-”

“What are you-?” 

With my free hand, I pulled her away from the buffet table and we both ate breakfast so quick that I nearly choked on my egg. 

“Why are you in such a hurry my friend?” 

I brisked walked from the hotel to the beach when I have already picked the right spot, I laid the blanket down on the sand, flopping down after and tugged my sweater up and tossed it inside the bag

“I was excited” 

 “Really?” 

I nodded, then grabbed my Kindle to read

I heard her scoff beside me, I lowered my sunglasses on top of the bridge of my nose

“You’re excited to read...on the beach” 

“What now?” I rolled my eyes

Ok, since our first meeting yesterday. Our differences took a toll on our bonding together, causing us to argue over petty little things. Now I’m too tired and too hungry to reason out with her.

“May I remind you, you are in a foreign country. And you still choose to read rather than to explore this tropical island? I can’t understand you” She lied down on her back, covering her face with her big hat

My eyebrows furrowed, I bit my bottom lip as I turned my kindle off. 

“What do you suggest we do then” 

A sly smirk played on her lips, propping herself up on her elbows making her hat fall down

“Now we’re talking” 

As expected, Lizzie dragged me to extreme sports like snorkeling which I panicked when a tentacle-like touched my leg I elbowed Lizzie’s nose by accident then we had to put an ice pack on it since it wouldn’t stop bleeding. It wasn’t a tentacle that touched my leg, it was seaweed.

Then we went on the banana boat ride, the driver went too fast and all of the passengers were toppled upside down inside the water. Once again I panicked and pulled Lizzie. Let’s just say I accidentally untied her bikini top. 

Aside from all of the incidents that have conspired the last few hours-did I mention that we had to go back to the hotel room when I spilled mango shake on her since my hands were shaking from the banana ride- I did have fun, Lizzie helped me forget the problems I left behind. Well not fully but I wasn’t dwelling on it at the moment, I was living. 

“Look what I got us!” she squealed as she sat down on the hammock, causing it to rock.

“Are those tickets?”

“Yup, there is this big rave party happening tonight and I got us in”

“How?” 

She leaned in and whispered “I may or may not have flirted with the DJ” 

I playfully smacked her arm, “You’re a lunatic how can you be so sure that is not bogus?”

“Oh it’s legit I assure you, my radar on men when it comes to lying is reliable” 

I let out a long breath, and said to myself “I wish I had that” 

“What’s with the long face?”

“Nothing, so tonight?”

“Oh let me do your make up!” she excitedly clapped her hands, my eyes widened

“Oh hell no”

Thankfully she didn’t lay a finger on my face as we got ready. I had on a pair of denim shorts, a white crochet top, and my converse. Lizzie knows how to dress alright, she was wearing this long beach dress with a slit that nearly reached her hip and she matched it with strappy sandals, her hair up in a princess braid. She was stunning.

“You stay here” she yelled over the loud music, I didn’t get to ask where she was going so instead I watched her walk away towards the stage where the DJ was. I couldn’t help but chuckle and shake my head. 

My family wouldn’t be too pleased with her, especially I have the ever old fashioned Filipino mom. 

I was bobbing my head with the music, tapping my foot on the wooden planks. I watched as the crowd danced through the rhythm, bodies pressed against each other. The sun was starting to set, casting an orange hue on the beach. I wished I had my camera with me, it was the one thing I forgot to bring in such a hurry to leave.

With a sigh, I drank the red wine in one swig.

I played with the glass when the DJ changed the song. I knew this song, the beat was too familiar to not notice. I stopped, my breath caught inside my throat. The crowd continued dancing with On The Edge’s new song, the song that he played for me even before it got released. My vision blurred.

I pushed through the sticky and sweaty bodies of the dancers, once I got through I hopped on the stage.

“Oh hey, Mia!”

“I have to go”

“What? Why-”

“I just can’t”

I turned away and ran towards the empty part of the beach. I needed space to breathe, I felt like walls were closing in on me. Damn it, I hated that I feel this way.

“Mia!” I turned to see Lizzie running towards me, once she reached my side she bent down to catch her breath

“Girl, you can run fast” 

She was quiet, she saw the look on my face.

“You wanna know the reason why I went on this trip?”

She didn’t answer

“I had to run away from everyone. Because I couldn’t bear the pressure, the attention, all the eyes on me. I got anxious and I just needed to breathe” 

I stopped, I swallowed down the lump that formed

“The song the DJ was playing earlier, it was the recent release of my boyfriend’s group. Well, probably my ex. Basically, an article was posted and I couldn’t escape the judging eyes of the people around me and now I’m here”

“What’s the name of the group?”

“On The Edge- what are you doing?”

She was typing rapidly on her phone that illuminated her face

“I’m practically spilling my guts over here and you’re on your phone”

She held up a finger

“Unbelievable”

“Is it Theo from OTE?”

“Yeah, are you searching for him?”

“Mia, he already released his statement yesterday”

“Statement?”

“Yeah, it says here, Theo Yi-en posted his side of the story via Twitter thread. He expressed his frustration and dismay towards the other side for they fueled the false rumor even more by staying quiet. Theo firmly said that it was not true”

“Not true?” My head swam around, my thoughts were loud. I can’t believe it, he denied it. 

“Yes, Mia! Please tell me you talked to him and not just disappeared into thin air”

I didn’t answer, I lowered my gaze on the ground and felt ashamed

“My oh my Mia, if you’re going to be in a relationship communication is always the key”

She patted my head, I scowled at her “Who are you to give me advice”

She chuckled, her blue eyes were bright

“You know, when the moon is up the sun has risen wherever he is. Call him by then”

I nodded at her and watched her as she backed up “Now will you excuse me I have a party to go to. You know your way to your hotel right?”

“Thank you, Lizzie, I’m glad that you’re my roommate” 

Lizzie smiled genuinely and nodded “I’m glad too. Now don’t get all mushy on me”

I saluted her and laughed. She jogged back to the party, her blonde hair swaying as she did. She’s one hell of a girl.

I leaned my forearm on the railings of the terrace. I turned my phone over and over as I rehearsed the conversation inside my head. With a deep breath, I opened my phone and called him.

“Hello?”

My heart sank, I haven’t heard that voice for weeks. 

“Mia?”

I cleared my throat and blinked multiple times. I was silent momentarily, I just remembered all the nights where he would talk to me until I fell asleep. His voice was always comforting even now.

“Hey, can we talk?” I asked meekly

“Look down” 

“What?”

“I said look down” he chuckled playfully, I could hear the smile in his tone. I looked down from the terrace and there he was, standing cutely with the luggage by his side and his phone in his ear. 

“Shut up”  

I sighed, without hesitating I ran out of the room, tossing my phone on the bed. I didn’t have to think twice when I saw him down there, he came here from the other side of the globe to talk to me. He came for me.

Under the silver moon that is up in the sky, I met a new person to add to my life and reunited with the one I love.

March 04, 2021 00:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.