6 comments

Fiction Funny

With only a snap from my mighty fingers, the final enemy stronghold would fall in a “pillar” of flame. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

For centuries, my kingdom, the powerful and imposing kingdom of Ragnus, battled with the feeble and pompous kingdom of Numori. No longer would we allow them to raise their noses at us. No longer shall we be forced to adopt their “modern way of living.” What matters most in this world is power!  

I will admit, there was a time where their military was a threat. Their ability to control and manipulate water naturally puts them at a greater advantage. Because of that, they have looked down on us fire wielders and think themselves better than us. Well no longer. For I, Rongu of the Burning Pillar, have conquered Numori and expanded my territory. Despite this epic, glorious victory…I never could have guessed what would happen next…

I would meet with my council in my new chambers. The people of Numori loved their water. The entire kingdom would be filled with overflowing fountains. The streets, homes, places of business--all of it would have at least an inch of water on the surface. Their meeting chambers, that were now mine, would be of no exception.  

“GRAGH!” I growled as I took my seat. “My boots are drenched! What the hell is the point of all this water!?”

“Well I hear it began with a belief that all life originated from water. Naturally, I think they built their connection with--.”

“Raj, shut up,” I commanded. “No one cares. My first order will be to cease this nonsense. Now…I think it's time we invite our guest.” I could not hold in my visible joy. “Guards, bring her in!”

In would come two of my most elite guards with my favorite prisoner. Nomi, formally known as Queen Nomi, would be shoved into the room. Her boney arms and legs would be bound by special chains that dampened her abilities. No splashing around for her--heheh.

“Welcome to my kingdom!” I greeted. “Perhaps I can give you a tour later?”

As always, her demeanor was calm and collected. However, in the time that I've gotten to know her on the battlefield, I learned that she has a temper underneath that act of hers. I knew my words struck true when her brow twitched ever so slightly. “Very funny. So you brought me here to gloat?”

“Yes. That, and we need your knowledge of this wet sandcastle you call a kingdom.” My loyal council and I would share a hearty chuckle. “Just two minutes here and my boots are drenched.”

“Then you should have worn the wading shoes like he did.” Nomi said.

“Yes your servants offered them to us when we got here--wait, what do you mean ‘like he did?’” With her arrogant little nose, she pointed to Raj. “Are you wearing them?”

With shame, he stood to reveal that he had traded his boots for their strange slip-on footwear that doesn't even cover the top of the foot. They would be imbued with a spell that parts the water at your feet. “I'm sorry, my lord.”

“Just sit down you fool. Our boots are supposed to be a symbol of our pride and preparedness for battle against people and the rough terrain of our home.” I now turned back to Nomi. “First things first, no more of all this,” I said as I kicked my boot and splashed water around. “Turn it off.”

“You don't want to do that,” she said.

I smirked, already prepared for a nonsense explanation about tradition like whatever Raj was prattling on about a second ago. For years, they have disrespected our own culture and I could care less about respecting her own. “The spells that pump water in the city are all connected in an intricate web. To change that without disrupting the whole system would require more work and manpower than you think.”

“Don't care. Tell us who can fix it and we'll have them get to work.”

“Did I mention you can disrupt the sewage system?”

“Sewage system?” I asked.

“Human waste. It is flushed in receptacles called toilets and sent underground to be disposed of.”

I will not lie, the concept sounded much better than what we do back home. Let's just say, everything is burned. Of course, I would never let her know that.

“Wow. That's so much better than what we do. We just burn everything. The smell is terrible,” Raj said.

One day, I will banish that fool to the furthest corner of the planet. I eyed him with murderous intent and he quickly lowered his eyes to the table. Nomi, with a smirk, began again. “You don't want sewer water floating around the city. Is there anything else?”

No matter, there was still plenty I had in store to make her squirm. “My army will need a station and my people will need homes. Get your finest architects and craftsman and get to building. Let's make sure the new homes are water free--except for those toilets. Also, let’s start destroying some of these fountains and rebuilding them with my handsome likeness.” 

Her brow would twitch yet again. “Of course. I do hope your people will respect my people's way of life.”

“Oh no worries. I will be sure to tell my people to be as pompous and soggy as your own.” I waited for my council's chuckles to cease before speaking. “Let us adjourn early for the day. I must return home. We will meet back here in a week. Ronal, Reiss and Roman--I want you to stay here for the week and begin the renovations. Raj, I need you to gather information.”

“Wait,” Nomi said, “do all of your names start with the letter r?”

“Yes,” I answered. “All Ragnan names start with the letter r.”

“W--why?”

“Because it's tradition, you imbecile! Do prisoners here get to ask the king so many questions!?”

“Well, if they request a formal audience and--.”

“SILENCE! Take her back to her cell.”


One week later


I would return to Numori to be met with treachery. There would be no statues erected in my honor, none of the cultural landmarks would be destroyed and my council had seemed to adopt their pathetic culture. I sat across from them in a silent rage. Every last one of them now wore Numorin clothes and those damn wading shoes that would push the water away from them and into my boots. Nomi would wear a grin that only made me far angrier than I already would have been. “You all look ridiculous.” I growled.

Of course, the very first to speak would be Raj the Fool. “I'm sorry, my lord. We…actually like Numori and its people.”

“It is true,” Ronal answered shamefully. The people have been quite hospitable. They were also very interested and respectful of our culture.”

Next was Roman. “They also have very skilled doctors here. I got sick just after you left and they healed me in hours.”

I could not believe my ears. I now turned to my oldest and most loyal advisor, Reiss. “Please,” I said, “not you too.”

His ashamed eyes fell to the table. “When you left, I went scouting to find where we could start building a statue in your honor. It turned out the people have already planned to build you a statue at the center of the city right beside the fountain statue of their founder. They have even started emptying the inns and the lodgings to prepare for when our people come to live here. I was…caught off guard. I did not expect them to be so…kind.”

IMPOSSIBLE! It must be a trick! For generations, they have told us that Numorins hate and think us below them! I could not control my outburst. “Treachery!” I roared. “This is how you treat the people who think of us as vermin!? I was expecting half the town to be razed--to see the people terrified of my presence!”

“And that was the plan,” Raj spoke. “It’s just…this place is great. They do so many things better than us. My lord, have you heard of soap?”

“Soap? What is that?”

“It comes in this little bar that smells of flowers! It's used to clean dishes, surfaces--even your body! Numorin’s actually live longer because they can wash away sicknesses before they take hold of your body. And it makes you smell good!” Raj extended his arm to be in front of my face. I took a long look at his pampered hand before glaring at him once more. He slowly returned it to his side while nervously clearing his throat.  

“That’s not true.” Nomi said.

“Oh I don’t want to hear a single word out of--what do you mean?”

“You are partially right, but most people in my kingdom have no prejudice towards you all. As a matter of fact, they think of you as victims who have thrived despite the disadvantage your founder put you in.”

I chuckled. “Oh this should be good. Please, explain why you pitty us poor Ragnans.”

“It's not pity either. Your founder built your kingdom for the sole purpose of conquering and destroying all others. It is why your culture is based on war and combat. He would spend all his time developing your kingdom for battle and not infrastructure, medicine, education--any of the things your men seem to love about Numori. Your people, even when put at this disadvantage, still thrive. It’s quite impressive, actually.”

“Oh shut up. I can’t hear any more of this from her! Raj, as our scholar, please tell her the truth about how Numori has wanted to conquer our kingdom for centuries and to force us to live as they do.”

“...About that--.”

I clenched my fists on the table and grit my teeth. “Raj, I swear to the Sun Gods if you agree with her I will drown you in this floor.”

“...I am so sorry, my lord, but she is right. Our people were never good record keepers. Numorin’s have detailed accounts of their entire history. I fear the truth has been twisted in time.”

I eyed the table to find that even the others agreed. “Nomi!” I said, turning to her. “Take me to these historical records!”


And so she would. There I would find detailed accounts of Numorin and Ragnan history. I would spend hours there, reading about the centuries of conflict between our kingdoms. Sure enough, it was indeed our founder who hated Numorin culture and their wishes for peace. He felt them weak and pathetic for not sharing his bloodlust. His sons, daughters and their children would instill this mindset into everyone in our culture and fabricate lies to make future generations hate them just as he did. That, and his strange obsession with r names.

I sighed as I sat back in my chair and rubbed my tired eyes. “Learn anything new?” Nomi asked in her normal, annoying tone of voice.

“...I usually wouldn't believe an enemy's history books…but there is quite a bit of proof behind well--every fact. I spent my entire life thinking that you were all spiteful, arrogant, weak--.”

 “I get it.”

The truth that burned itself into my mind would make me let out yet another weighty sigh. “I just…I thought of myself as some kind of hero…but it turns out that I'm just--.”

“A true king,” Nomi said. “You and your people were set up for failure, but it's kings like you who helped them thrive this long. And now, you have conquered a kingdom that can help them live better, longer lives. I would say you are quite the success.”

I stared at her suspiciously for quite a while before speaking. “Why say that? Why try to make me feel better?”

“Because it's the truth…and also, I was kind of hoping we can rule together and unite our kingdoms. With your military and my modernization, we could create a beautiful kingdom protected by the finest warriors. We have seen the destruction we can cause together, but what about what we can create?”

I took a long while to think about her proposition. What pushed me to become king and finish the war was the thrill of battle and the fame…but it was always about my people first. It’s childish…but deep down I wanted them to see me as a hero. Perhaps by accepting the Numorins, I can do just that.

It would take all of my strength to speak my next words. “May I…have a pair of wading shoes? My feet are freezing.”

Gently, Nomi placed her hand on my shoulder and smiled warmly. “Of course, friend.”

“I am not your friend.”


August 17, 2024 01:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Vid Weeks
11:07 Aug 21, 2024

wonderfully creative

Reply

23:38 Aug 21, 2024

I appreciate that! Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Sage
09:24 Aug 21, 2024

Thoroughly enjoyed the main villain character, particularly his meanness to Raj. I like how the last line has him retain some of his villainy even when he's starting to reform. Really fun.

Reply

23:47 Aug 21, 2024

Thank you so much! I had a alot of fun writing him and I'm so happy that you enjoyed his development as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
22:38 Aug 20, 2024

Creative story.

Reply

23:37 Aug 21, 2024

Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.