0 comments

Indigenous Speculative

"That's the thing about this city" it has exactly 1,720 people in it. 65% are black, and 40% are white, and all of them compete with each other every time there is an election. They announce their candidacy for the office they want, advertise in the paper what they can do to improve the city, and then the mudslinging begins.

First, we have our mayor that has run for his office and every time has won. He either bought the votes, or the people just wanted him in there because of the color of his skin. those that run against him he downplays them by their lack of education. He thinks he is the smartest. I remember one year he interfered in a traffic stop. While the police officer was writing the ticket he commanded the officer to leave at once. He stated," I am head N-word in charge". boy, that stirred the city up for a while. then we have the town council. One of them got busted for drugs, but nothing ever became of it. Anytime a black man or woman runs for office some other people pull out the race card. the city is so racial. it has been like that since 1888. the city never progresses because none of the elected officials will promote its growth. there are many cities like ours that are political, and racial in every area of the community. they play such a dirty game of racist roulette and never do they ever try to unite as one. Martin Luther King Jr once said" Man shall not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the conduct of their character. Looks like cities like ours forgot what real character is. then you got your churches, "Oh yes I am going there". once you visit they want to know where you work, how much money you make, and when you give an offering they reply" that's it"? You see they got this Clique they form, and if you are not in their clique then you are an outsider. they rarely speak to you, but if you put a lot of money in the offering plate there will dance a jig around you, and make you a member of their clique. It is sad that so many cities all over the world do not have any sense of equality, and unity among the people. It was like that in the civil rights era, and in a way it still is, but one race alone claims its superiority If cities such as ours could be reborn, and create equality and unity there would be more progress made within the city government, and the community. Just imagine what a city government can do in and for a small city if they would just learn to listen to one another, and work together. Racial barriers can be broken, and no more would we ever be divided by them. People are one of a kind in our city. some are related to each other on and off the job, and they know what each other is capable of. A hometown hero spent his youth playing football in school, Now he plays for the NFL. A well-known basketball player finally hit the big leagues and went professional. they left out of the city and became greater than they expected. They worked hard and did not let the superiority of the city government distract them from their fame. Lastly, there is the division of families. No more do they gather together for Sunday dinners at church. No more do they let their children play with other children because of something that happened to someone else children. Here in the city, there are interracial families. Blacks marrying whites and having mixed-race children. for a while, they were shunned by their own kinfolks, but now the community has learned to accept it. Where is the dignity that once stood for love, and compassion.? where is the love that was imputed into our heart, and mind and sprinkled all over the world that we would be loved by all, and not hated.? One day there will come a time when we will be judged not by our skin color, not character, and personality but by what we have done in the past, and present-day. we will not be playing second fiddle for anyone. Our creator will be our judge, and the jury and the opposition will be our executioner. We will be sentenced and cast into paradise, or thrown into an abyss of fire. We will either be among the angels in heaven, or be pronged, and prodded by demons in hell. There will be no indifference in either place. all will be equal in spirit. we will either be a flying spirit going from one side of heaven to the other or burning in the pits of hell with no water to cool our burning bodies. no place to walk to see every sunrise, and sunset. No place for romantic moments of passion, no sand between our toes because there will be no beach to walk on. Until that time we will stay divided. Racism will continue to hinder progress. I do not claim to be racist. I just see things just as they are. Maybe there is a reason for ignorance. I just wish I know what it was. why can't we have equality, and unity all over the world.? well maybe it is because there is no such thing on earth. unless we create it then we are on the even of the destruction of the human race. yet, there's a voice of one cry in the distance. a voice that says: "Even so come". We are the people, the children of past generations that are tired of being sick, and tired. the late Rodney King said in a frail voice after many people beat on him: "Why can't we all just get along"? so here we are in the myths of a pandemic, and suddenly a glimmer of hope shines in the distance, and for just a while we are all one big family feeding, and clothing each other. We could stay this way forever if we just kept going the way God intended for us to go in the first place. In heaven, we will be one together and the same, but in hell, we won't have time to think because we will be on fire, and not be consumed. No escape and no beach to walk on.!

March 12, 2021 19:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.