0 comments

General

Once again Amelia found herself just standing and staring down the stone path that led to her family home. Every spring she would always find a new excuse to not go. It would be too hot, too cold, too humid, or too stormy. It had been years since she’d seen them. Regardless of any circumstance, today was going to be the day. 

She looked up at the cloudy sky as she took a deep breath in and out. She ignored the worries of rain and went on her way. 

She walked absentmindedly, imagining what her breath would look like if it was an icy day. Her thoughts traveled to her dirt and blood stained winter clothes she desperately needed to wash, and for a second she felt the scratches and cuts that used to litter her face.

No. Nope. She wasn't going to let herself go there

She decided to quicken her pace and focus on the road ahead. 

It wasn't too easy to be distracted by their street. The street had much spread out space between houses where wildlife roamed. Once she had seen a deer. 

A chill went down her spine at the thought of that deer, that freezing icy winter night, and-

Why was she doing this again? She took another deep breath ignoring her growing headache and tried to focus on her walking.

Left. Right. Left. Right. 

“Hey!” A voice called from behind. 

Amelia presuming she was imagining it, continued on counting her footwork.

“I’m talking to you!” The voice yelled. 

Amelia, realizing they were talking to her, almost snapped herself turning her head to see who was talking to her. 

On her left side there was a house she didn't even know was occupied. The cars were gone and no lights were on but yet a tall girl stood there. Because of the distance and Amelia’s eyesight, she could barely make out her light brown shaggy hair and a blurry mush she assumed was her clothes. 

The girl ran over making her features more clear. She wore a crude graphic tee-shirt and a leather jacket with ripped jeans. She had an angry look in her narrow brown almond eyes. 

“What are you doing here? This is private property,” she questioned.

“You can see me?” Amelia questioned back. 

The girl looked Amelia up and down, once she saw the state of her clothes her angry gaze became more concerned. 

“Are you ok?” she asked before feeling her forehead and holding up a finger. “I’m a doctor, could you please follow my finger?”

Amelia simply just ignored her and kept moving on. There was no way anyone could see her. 

‘Ma’am! You seem hurt, I can help you,” She said while walking after her.

“Go away,” Amelia muttered.

“But Ma’am,” The woman started. 

Amelia already started walking before the woman could finish. She had two miles left to go until she would arrive. She needed to do this and some random hallucination was not going to get in her way. 

“At least let me come with you. I took an oath and I can't leave you hurt like this,” The woman said concerned. 

Amelia sighed. “Fine.”

They were mostly silent as they furthered down the path. The woman tried a few times to check her pulse or vitals but Amelia would just shake her off. She needed to make it before the sun set or she would have to wait until summer. 

One mile left. 

One mile left and the distant warmth of family and baking would be brought back. 

“Who are you?” The woman asked softly.

“Amelia. Amelia Langburt,” she responded. 

“I’m Sam Yang. Where are you heading?” 

Amelia paused for a second. “So you really can see me.”

“What do you mean, of course I can.”

Amelia turned her head left meeting Sam’s gaze. “What are you doing here?”

Sam looked at her confused. She gazed down at her hands before looking up again. “I… I don't know.”

“What do you last remember?” Amelia questioned.

Sam laughed slightly, uneasy from Amelia’s blank stare. “I still don’t understand.”

Amelia scoffed and continued on. “Don’t try to help me when you have your own problems, I have stuff to do.”

Sam stood still but Amelia went on.

“There was a car,” Sam whispered, remembering something.

Amelia froze. What did she just say?

She turned around fast. “What?”

She was so close. She can't stop now. No.

“Why did you think I couldn’t see you?” Sam questioned.

An electric jolt went down Amelia’s back as she recalled that dark and wet winter night.

She was out late because of some concert she snuck out to. She had wanted to go and saved up months for the tickets, she remembered how confident she was that nothing wrong could happen with the weather. On the way home she didn’t even think to slow down. She didn’t even think to brake when she saw that deer. She was three miles away from her home when she swerved into a tree. That was the night she passed away all those years ago.

Now there was a woman that showed up, the first person to talk to her in years, who was like her… Dead. 

Amelia glanced up at the darkening sky. She maybe had half an hour left before she would arrive which would leave not much time to actually be there. She could either help Sam or go home.

Amelia took a deep breath in and out. 

“I think you’re supposed to come with me,” Amelia sighed.

“Where?” Sam asked.

Amelia pulled out an old battered cell phone. “I’ve never tried this before but I think I can get us to the afterlife together.”

“You’ve never done it before?” Sam asked.

“There are two options when you die. You can find your family and stay with them or go to the good or bad place,” Amelia answered as she typed on her phone.

“Wait, doesn’t that mean you can’t go visit your family?”

“Yes but I think my parents would prefer I help someone out than leave you here to see them. Besides, I’ll see them one day. It takes over a year to even have the option of going to either place. 

Sam just nodded blankly, still in shock. 

 Abruptly a bright light covered them. 

When the light cleared they were in an area that had an appearance similar to a doctors office. It took a moment for the two women’s eyes to adjust because of how bright the furniture was. Everything was a bright white or a light grey. 

“Miss Langburt and Miss Yang! Welcome,” one of the women at the desks greeted.

She had dark chestnut skin, white shiny eyes that matched her long curly hair, and a smile so big it could be taken threateningly depending on the situation. 

“Come! Take a seat! You can call me Uriel,” She said as she began typing with the ends of her pearly white wings.

After seeing they had no other option they took a seat. 

“Um, not to be rude, but doesn’t that feel… Uncomfortable?” Sam asked, referencing the wings she was typing with.

“Hm? Oh! Not at all, i've spent eternity up here, I’ve gotten quite used to it. It’s actually kind of fun! But anyways, there’s quite a few things I need you guys to fill our,” she said ecstatically before handing over tablets. “Take your time! You’ve got all the time in the world… Literally… Get it? ‘Cause you guys are dead?”

Sam gave a small fake laugh but Amelia gave her a ‘it’s been years and that's still too soon’ look. The angel shook her head and muttered something in complaint of humans.

After they filled out the questionnaires on the tablets and were given a set of clothes and were directed by Uriel to another set of doors. When they walked through they were welcomed to a whole new world. It was like a city but the skies were clear and blue and it smelled like roses. 

They stood in awe while they saw people walking around and people flying by. Beside its chaos it still felt peaceful. Amelia knew that even though she may not be able to visit her family, one day they’d visit her. Her heart warmed at the thought of them with her in this place.

For now, her and Sam had to go find their apartment. Wherever that may be.



April 03, 2020 03:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.