2 comments

General

The clock had just ticked 12. Mini looked up, tired and then focused on her phone screen while also checking at the door, and the babies submerged in their afternoon nap.

‘You’re using phone!’ Mini looked up in utter shock as the voice came out of the ‘1st Steps’, as the classroom was called. Ms. Stevens, the Assistant Director of Little Steps Preschool was standing at the door of the classroom with her rather ferocious look at Mini, continuing, ‘You can’t be with us anymore. Give me your phone.’ Stevens just grabbed the phone off Mini’s hands despite some requests for a second chance and left the room in a fraction of a second.

A few months ago, Mini was appointed as the Enrichment Coordinator of the school as she was over-qualified for a teacher position. However, things have undergone a dramatic change as Mini had been put in different classrooms including the one year olds, which was beyond Mini’s skill set. Besides, she was not being given her lunch break although it was noon. As a way to find some relief she was just trying to browse her phone while the babies were sleeping, which was violating the rule.

‘Come out with me.’ Ms. Stevens called Mini as she directed a substitute teacher to be in charge in Mini’s place.

Feeling helpless, Mini followed Stevens out of the classroom and gradually entered the administrative office, and signed the termination letter.

‘Go take your stuff.’ commanded Stevens, continuing, ‘Laura, I want you to go with her.’, as she looked at Laura, her so-called assistant.

Mini took the fastest steps, grabbed all her belongings and walked out the door promising Stevens to return her uniform once she washes and irons it.

The air seemed heavy for Mini as she was driving. In a few months’ time she had gained much popularity in the school owing to her outgoing and bubbly nature. She just couldn’t believe that she was being terminated! Yes, she signed the termination letter. The ground beneath her feet seemed to drift away, everything appeared so blurry, yet she struggled to keep her calm while driving as a wreck would add fuel to the fire.

‘What am I going to do now?’ she asked herself, as she parked her car, and tried to get out and walk toward her apartment.

Today, even unlocking the door seemed to cost a lot of ‘hard work’ for Mini. Somehow she managed to get inside, took off her shoes and put her stuff on the couch. Crying over what happened seemed like crying over spilt milk right now for Mini.

No more preschool, Mini thought to herself as the job postings loaded in front of her eyes on the computer screen.

The following morning, Mini lay in her bed, while her head found a little solace in the warmth of her pillow. As a usual practice, Mini looked up at the clock. It was eight in the morning, and Mini’s eyes filled with glee as she couldn’t believe that she doesn’t get up early like every day, and she can still enjoy her bed as long as she wants. She pulled up her sheet, turned on one side and closed her eyes with a content smile.

‘You don’t have a job.’ Mini suddenly opened her eyes, and almost sprung from underneath her sheet on the ground. Looking around, she found nobody. The harsh truth seemed to finally dawn on her, letting the smile she was wearing so long fade away. Without wasting a second, Mini went inside the restroom, brushed her teeth, and quickly took her seat in front of the computer as she was eating breakfast.

‘We are looking for a Pre-K teacher.

Qualifications: Bachelor degree.

                      Minimum one year of experience in a school setting.

                       Has the creativity to plan lessons and conduct activities in an engaging way.’

That was it! Even waiting a second seemed like a lot for Mini. It is the same Mini who barely ever turned in a completed test as she would always run out of time in school, and yet managed to achieve a decent score.

‘Good morning!’The words seemed to struggle to come out of Mini’s vocal chords, as she managed to continue over the phone grasping it tightly within the cup of her hands, ‘My name is Mini. I have a Bachelor degree in Education. I also…’

Mini was about to add something more that could have helped her get the job. However, a voice from the other side of the phone interrupted, ‘Thank you so much for your call. We really appreciate it. However, we just hired our teacher. Good luck on your search!’

A deep silence filled the air as Mini took a deep breath, and went on to look at the next posting, and then calling the employer, and then on to the next. The cycle kept going. Fortunately or unfortunately, she was getting some part-time opportunities. But she needed a full-time job!

A week went on, and then another followed. Mini’s unyielding spirit was not convinced with the idea of a part-time opportunity until one day she started considering going for teaching certification as even some private schools desire a certified teacher.

Following the dictates of her heart, Mini tried contacting Texas Teachers. She was quick enough to collect all the information she needed. Even the fact that she needs to take some tests didn’t seem to discourage her. At the same time, sitting at home and doing the certification is not even an option. That’s when the part-time opportunity she once received from a local preschool seemed to influence her.

Immediately she picked up the phone, dialed the number, and asked, ‘Are you still hiring for the afternoon teacher position?’

‘We are.’ Ms. Evans, the director of the school replied, as she continued, ‘Are you interested?’

‘Yes.’, responded Mini as her eyes lit up with hope.

‘Alright’ Evans said, adding, ‘You need to come in and fill out an application.’

Mini was about to hang up saying ‘thank you’, and she was being informed by Evans that since she had already filled out an application earlier, she can just come in for an interview the next day.

The following day, Mini went for an interview and was being told that she’d hear something soon. Meanwhile Mini had already paid and joined the teaching certification program. As she could envision the bright pasture full of opportunities before her, excitement and positivity was all she could experience. She could see herself facing a panel of interviewers and walking out with a handsome package. The feeling that she would be part of the community of educators enveloped her mind. At the same time, she accepted the fact that all these that she had just been seeing could only be possible once she sticks and completes her program successfully. Once again, she reminded herself of studying instead of watching movies once she gets back from her job in the evenings, weekends would be nothing but preparing for the tests, and certainly cutting on eating outs and other activities that might cost money. She didn't really know if she should still continue with the program.

A week went by. Mini was getting restless now as she didn’t hear back from the preschool. She felt like crying out loud, and in fact, she found herself doing the thing she was trying hard not to do. She wasn’t just crying, but screaming like a child screams when he’s extremely frustrated.

There’s a saying, ‘Just when you feel like giving up, Hope arrives’. As Mini seemed uncontrollable, the phone rang out of the blue.

‘Good morning!’ a voice came from the other side, saying, ‘Can I speak to Ms. Mini?’

‘This is her.’ Mini responded as her voice quivered.

‘Oh! Hey! Congratulations! We’re offering you the position you interviewed for. Can you start from tomorrow?’

Mini was barely able to talk. Somehow she could respond saying, ‘Yes.’

‘Great! So we’ll see you tomorrow at 9 in the morning. Please wear a white polo shirt and black slacks.’

Mini wiped her face. A stream of fresh energy seemed to reactivate her.

Mini started her new journey the next morning. Whether it was a coincidence or God’s plan, everyone at her school including the director was giving her the advice to go for certification. Mini had at least five ‘advisors’ telling her that certification isn’t that hard, and she can do it. She was unable to believe what was going on. She remembered that how she started getting certified as an educator at a different state, and had to stop midway. From that day, she made up her mind not to go for certification again. Never!

Things were moving smoothly. Mini overcame her first test, her first hurdle. Soon she was able to apply for jobs, go for teachers’ job fairs. Even two years ago she could only dream of all these! The anxiety of getting a job didn’t seem to touch her much as she was enjoying her journey, and didn’t worry about the destination for a while. Getting her ‘Letter of Eligibility’, to begin with, registration for job fairs, printing out her tickets, and then getting dressed on the job fair day, all appeared like a fairy tale to her. She felt like Cinderella on the day of her first job fair. Soon her week was almost filled up with interviews, job fairs and follow ups. At the same time, she was constantly telling herself not to expect anything.

As time doesn’t wait for anyone, Mini had completed two weeks, and was diligently working on her program as her goal was to get done and be fully certified as an educator. Instead of expecting a job from the interviews she was facing, Mini was trying her best to look upon an interview as just an opportunity to practice for the next interview. It wasn’t easy for sure! Although she would try to forget about the interview after getting done with one, it was quite challenging for her to actually forget. After all, getting certified was not at all a to-do thing for her. She had spent her evenings, weekends, even festivals preparing for tests, and then still work at a preschool where you don’t even need certification!

Gradually, it was Christmas! Mini didn’t hear anything positive from any employer. Then it was another new year, and then spring came and finally summer. There was hardly anything other than rejection phone calls and e-mails. The fear that Mini had been facing prior to starting her certification, seemed to turn true. Mini was checking her qualifications to see if she needed anything, and then double checked with her advisor from her program. It’s all a matter of time, was all she could hear. But then, there was barely any school she hadn’t applied. What made things even harder was, she needs a state accredited public school for her first year of teaching.

Almost half the year passed by, and it was end of July. Mini was monitoring the kids in her classroom, when all of a sudden the phone rang. Taking permission from the lead teacher to see if she can take the call, she went to the teachers’ lounge, to see she just missed the call.

However, as the last straw in her hat, she checked the voicemail, which said, ‘Good afternoon. This is Betty from Glendale Elementary School. We are delighted to offer you the position you interviewed for. Please call back at 361-243-2467 at your earliest to discuss about the position.’

Mini froze for a moment. The words seemed too good to be true! Is she really going to have a classroom to herself? Mini pinched herself.

December 20, 2019 19:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Keri Dyck
23:18 Dec 25, 2019

This is a very sweet story about perseverance. I think some of the sentences could be shortened, though, and the verb tenses should all be the same.

Reply

21:00 Apr 05, 2020

Thank you so much for your comment, Keri Dyck. Sorry for responding so late as I have been traveling.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.