0 comments

Fiction Adventure

     Music is heard……

In a room near the living room, close to the store room but demarcated with a wall. Its melody was peaceful but it sounded more like a sorrowful song. Its harmony expresses pain more and were in its best accord. She played the piano so well; she closed her eyes trying to concentrate in her world of melody. She’s a kind of person that tries her possible best to express her feelings through her song. Then….

“Elisa! Come downstairs now!”

“I’m coming Aunt Felicia”

Her steps were more pleasing and gentle though she ran so she won’t be keeping her aunt waiting. Felicia is Elisa’s aunt but she’s has an aggressive attitude towards her niece. Elisa has so much love in her heart for her aunt and treats her like her mother.

“I told u I don’t want to hear that rubbish music ever again, isn’t that what I told you?”

“But aunt….

“Don’t! Just don’t call me that. It makes me look so old”

“Alright, I love to play my piano because it gives me so much peace and makes me ease my mind whenever I think of my parents. I maybe a princess, I have everything but it seems I’m so incomplete and that’s why I prefer playing the piano”

“Whatever, your music distracts my beautiful nap. Now, go wash the dishes, my clothes, toilets and before that prepare breakfast”

“Okay aunt”

“Wait; don’t forget to bath my cat”

She obediently did as she was told and went to her room. Despite her royalty, she was treated as a maid but that wasn’t her problem. She just wanted to see beyond her kingdom. She wanted to know how the outside world looks like. She thought of doing something that would make her go out. It was already dusk and after dinner, she went off to sleep.

“Aunt, would you mind if I get foodstuffs from the market today with the maid?”

“Yes, get me a cup of coffee” Elisa felt bad, this was actually her chance to see the outside world but it just collapsed.

“Here it is, aunt” she was about leaving when her aunt said;

“Make sure you come back with the maid, do you hear?” Elisa was so happy. She grabbed her aunt waist and turned her around. Her aunt continuously shouted – ‘let me go, Elisa!’ she finally dropped her and ran away to get dressed.

This got her aunt suspicious and told the maid to keep an eye on Elisa and give her reports.

        The mighty gate opened as she walked with the maid, Mary. Elisa was so excited. She’s 20 and loves to explore. Mary has always been her friend right from childhood and she made sure Elisa was satisfied with the knowledge regarding the outside world. Mary left her for a while to get some things and then, Elisa decided to check out some foods too, she bumped into this guy her stamina wasn’t firm and caused her to fall. She was about shouting at him but when she looked at him, her actions changed, she hasn’t seen such beauty in her entire life, she just couldn’t stop staring, and she seems to have fallen for him after her first gaze. His brown eyes were captivating, his hair was brown and long but its limit was at his shoulders, he had this cute red lips and his nose has its perfect shape. Now imagine his face, he was handsome but it seemed he was not as rich as she was but he wore decent clothes indeed.

“Madam, hello madam”

That’s what she heard as she saw him stretching his hands towards her to raise her up again.

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to make you fall, I’m sorry”

“It’s okay.”

“You sure? I mean if it was someone else, I would’ve been shouted at but you are so nice that”

She didn’t really understand what he was saying, she tried leaving but he stopped her and said

“Hey, are you leaving? You didn’t even tell me your name. Mine is Caleb”

Elisa left, she liked him at least she knows his name. Mary finally saw her and quickly held her hand so they could start leaving. Mary was in a hurry.

“Where the hell have you been? I searched all over the place for you but no sign and here, I caught you smiling at yourself. Now let’s get back home”

“I’m sorry. Listen, I’m really sorry.”

“Just hope your aunt doesn’t scold us”

Yeah, that’s right. Elisa was getting ready for abuse and punishment from her aunt but she still can’t deny the fact that she saw her prince charming.

Felicia is just too good at shouting at Elisa. She didn’t even scold Mary, she concentrated more on her niece, she reminded her of her loss and this made Elisa cry. Sometimes, she felt as though she wasn’t destined to be happy let alone smile, after her aunt said hurtful words to her, she ran upstairs closed her door, went to her bed to cry. That seems to please her whenever she wanted to be alone. She didn’t come downstairs for dinner because she was missing her mom. She played her guitar but it wasn’t easing her mind. She locked her door and started playing her piano. She didn’t want to hear her aunt’s voice. As she played, a tear fell from her right eye, the song was actually pleasing to the ear but more better to the heart. Everyone in the palace enjoyed it. It relaxed her mind gently.

Caleb was used to staying beside the gate so he would listen to the music every night. Obviously, Elisa played her song every night before she goes to bed. Caleb had no idea that she is the one who plays the music. He sat there with his friend, Jimmy and they adored her song so much. After that she slept.

      Elisa didn’t even say a word to Felicia; she went to the kitchen, prepared breakfast and made sure everywhere was made neat. She had her breakfast alone. She went to her and took a novel to read, she opened her window and then, she saw Caleb, she hid so he won’t see her. She decided to go outside to see him, but made sure no one sees her. She quickly went to him. She was dressed like a maid so Caleb won’t know she was from the royalty.

          “Hi again,”

“Wh..why..why are you here?”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m sorry, just curious”

“Anyways, I came to deliver some flowers to the queen, she ordered for it last week and I really have to deliver it now”

“Okay, I can help you, don’t mind”

“No don’t mind, I’ll do it myself.”

Elisa became a bit nervous. Caleb noticed and smiled. In order to please her, he gave it the guard. She was happy for a while.

“Do you mind walking with me for a while?”

“No, let’s go”

Caleb made sure Elisa feels comfortable with him, she was able to say things she loves and things she despises as well as Caleb. He asked her where she was from and Elisa just didn’t know what to say, she would have cooked up some stories but she didn’t know any place in her kingdom, she changed the topic. He noticed it        and felt it wasn’t right asking her such...

“Can you tell me more about the outside world? I mean if you have ever been there”

“Yeah, I have. It’s beautiful. I was there when I was twelve. It is built with magic. Virtually everything is, so great. I desire to go there one day and that’s only…”

“Only what?”

“Only if you have a super talent or an inbuilt power”

“That’s ridiculous; I will go there no matter what”

“I hope so”

They both laughed….

“I need to go now”

He held her hand as she tried to leave in a hurry.

“Please wait, I need to know your name and your address”

“Elisa, that’s my name. I’m sorry gat to go”

And she left. This made Caleb think so much about Elisa, he couldn’t get his mind off her, she thought about her smile and how she thought so cleverly. Elisa had to hide from her wicked aunt. She quickly went to her room. She was so lucky she didn’t see her but suddenly,

“Elisa!!!!”

“Ooops”

She went her, she looked quite upset but that wasn’t the case, the major thing was what she’s going to say and here it comes……….

“Where were you? You didn’t give me my medicines neither did you bath my cat. And what were the guards saying about you living the palace?”

“Wh..wha…what? I didn’t leave”

“I don’t care, all I know is that if you leave! You will never come back here, do you understand!!!!!!!!?”

“Ye….yes…yes I get it”

She ran upstairs but she tried her best not to cry, she took up a pen and paper and wrote something. It was something more like an outline of her aim in life. She decided to get more hints about the outside world; she went to her sorceress, Cole. She gave Elisa great clues about it and she convinced Elisa that she has a talent of playing a piano and once, it’s played it brings peace to the mind of whosoever listens to it. Cole further addressed that it is developing great powers in her that she’ll need to use efficiently in the future. Elisa decided to go the magic world together       with Cole and Caleb. Before that, the kingdom was already having problems. The kingdom was encountering drought gradually and the stones were forming solid giants but were not human beings obviously. Elisa, as they supposed Princess didn’t know about it and travelled after two days without informing anyone.

      They were now in magical world; it was more beautiful than anyone thought. Above it was beautiful shinning stars and a lot of magical beings that used their magic to create their needs. Of course, Elisa and Caleb weren’t magical but Cole made it in such a way that they will be seen as magical beings. Elisa had some other reasons for coming to the magical world. She pleaded with Caleb to follow her even though he didn’t and shouldn’t go. There’s obviously a rule.

      Before hey commenced on their journey, Elisa told Cole about what her parents told her when she was little – “Elisa you are special and let no one take this golden necklace. It has magical powers but It can only be used when you use your talents very well. But be careful of the greatest magical witch”. Elisa asked Cole if she knew about the witch, she knows but can’t locate her. The moved forward for a while, they saw some people with swords and he hid ordered by Cole. She further explained that he could sense humans; one of them stopped and turned around coming towards their location. His made their hearts skip then suddenly, a loud voice was heard calling him back to guard the exit of the universe. Suddenly, Elisa‘s necklace ha she has worn ever since she was a child stared shining It showed a young lad had fought the witch and defeated her in the end. It was a bit confusing. Elisa’s cloth was stuck in Caleb’s wrist watch, she didn’t know at first but as she turned around and they both smiled at each other and then, the greatest witch came around. His caused hem o hide and they overheard the witch saying that they have to find the missing necklace which was lost for the past 20 years .The witch said bad things about Elisa ‘s parents and his go her upset causing  her to run to the witch, strangle her, It was quite strange because no matter how much power struck on Elisa she still couldn’t feel pain. When she let her go, Elis collapsed. Caleb couldn’t hide for long, Cole tried stopping him but he refused and ran to help Elisa but he was captured and kept in the cell. Cole had no other option than to change into a bird; at least she won’t be noticed.

“Hahahahahahahahahahahah, finally, she’s back and now, she will die. I will have more power. Keep her in the cage! And keep her hands chained”

Cole needed to get more information about Elisa’s childhood; it’ll definitely give her solid facts. She transformed to her real self, she hid in stuffy and closed room, and she said few words involving Elis closed her eyes and concentrated. She saw something more like an Imagination - sounds of child playing round but seems like she was being chased by her mother and father. She did something that looks like she scrolled the image away, she scrolled a lot but the last one she saw made her pause and listened carefully to what she saw, Elisa’s parents were having a discussion in their garden when Elisa was 2 years, Maria, Elisa’s mother said to her husband Gabriel, Elisa’s father “ how do we keep this secret of us being magical, I mean we escaped from the witch because she wanted to kill our daughter, we won’t be able to hide it for long. I’m scared that she’ll come back to kill our daughter what should we do then?”

                “oh dear, nothing will happen. Our daughter is the most intelligent and powerful princess of the magical world and also, in the human world although, she has sacrifice something special in the future. I wonder that will be because it will break her heart a lot” suddenly, a strong wind started blowing so hard, Maria took her child inside the house, she gave her child to Felicia her sister and asked her to good care of her but Felicia refused and later agreed so it would become her advantage to rule over the kingdom. The witch returned and killed the both of them, they would’ve killed the witch but they couldn’t. and that’s what Cole saw.

Elisa is magical being and nothing would harm not even the witch. The only way to kill the witch was for Elisa to play her piano this time a more happy and victorious song, this would disturb her and therefore destroy her. This also would make Elisa, Cole and Caleb escapes but more especially, Elisa. Cole flew as a bird to Elisa and told her what to do. Elisa thought of it so hard. Then, the witch came out and teased her and said a lot of hurtful words to her but it didn’t affect her even a little but she hated it whenever someone speaks ill of her parents because she believed they died to save her life. The witch hinted that she would die unless she gives her the golden necklace. The witch     brought Caleb and Cole in front of her trying to put them into a pot of fire boiling at high heat. Elisa thought of a plan to escape from her miserable world, she decided to break the deal her parents made in the past and break the chain of her royalty in the magical world. While, the witch was performing some magic she opened the cell, gave a hint to Cole to provide a piano. Before that, she didn’t want to put their lives at stake because of her selfishness, she gave out her necklace and this distracted the witch. She eased her mind and played the piano with so much joy, she remembered all the wonderful moments in her life, most especially, with Caleb. The tone of the song was annoying to the witch, she dropped the necklace and Caleb and Cole became their normal selves again but they were obviously, choking. She couldn’t stand the song, she tried covering her ears but she wasn’t able to control her self. She picked up the necklace and tried to run away but it wasn’t easy for Elisa. She stopped and went after the witch, she tried to disappear but Elisa followed. Elisa fought and tried her possible best to take it from her but to no avail. Elisa gave up. She tried returning to Caleb and Cole since that’s the only option for escape. The witch wore the necklace and her head started spinning, a fierce world was seen in her and she got destroyed, her remains was exactly like ash, Elisa turned and saw her necklace on the floor and her ash. She wore her necklace and there was praises for her and pleadings for her rule the kingdom, she finally agreed and returned back to her own kingdom. She thanked Cole a lot and Caleb escorted her back to her house. Afterwards, she gave him a kiss and left. She heard that her aunt        had died but her body wasn’t seen. She wasn’t bothered at all and thought Felicia was connected with the witch’s destruction. She ruled her kingdom with so much bravery and played amazing songs for the people in her kingdoms, she ruled with Caleb. She was dressed up for her coronation in the early dawn as she touched her necklace smiling and she said to herself ;

“I thought I’ll lose you. Do one thing…..Stay with me till our fight is over...” her necklace gave a shining light indicating a Yes.

It’s over and of course, she won’t stop till she shoots the fire.

April 08, 2021 21:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.