0 comments

Creative Nonfiction

Under the Sweet Gum Tree.

The sweet gum tree sits in the middle of our vast front yard in Eugene, Oregon. Its wide, immense trunk stretches up into branches that stretch out everywhere, sort of like an umbrella in the front yard enveloping anyone who sits underneath it or near it. A swing hangs from a branch, but I’ve only seen it used once.

When the pandemic began over a year ago, the branches were still bare except for dozens of round things which reminded me of sticky pine cones. They’d fall down all over, and I never walked out there barefoot because it was so easy to step on one. But they’re a small price to pay for the beauty and sense of security the tree offered.

I had been spending quite a bit of time at my boyfriend’s house where the tree is, and when the pandemic began, we decided to move in together. Really, it was a natural next step, perhaps slightly rushed by a major lockdown and life-changing pandemic. I always loved and admired that tree along with dozens of others all over. The house pained bright green, is nestled at the edge of southeast Eugene next to the woods with walking and hiking trails all around, including right across the street. I never had to drive a car anywhere to hike right up into the woods.

My boyfriend and I spent lots of time together, venturing out for walks every day and ordering our food from Instacart online which was a new thing for both of us. I talked to my grandkids and kids on Facetime and Zoom not having any idea when I’d see them again as most of them lived in California. Our neighbors, Howie and Robin, both worked and Robin worked at an organic food store wearing a mask every day. I felt as if we were on a ship alone together communicating with the outside world only from a distance.

Everything changed overnight, and I wasn’t handling it well at all. Yet I was grateful for my boyfriend which meant I did not have to go through the pandemic alone. I hadn’t lived with a boyfriend in so many years and can’t even remember when as my life consisted of raising four kids for so long and now I have four grandkids. I worried about all of them every day.

Then one day, my boyfriend Savoy and I ventured out into the front yard and got the folding chairs out of the laundry room. We set them up underneath the sweet gum tree and its massive branches. I could look up and see a bird’s nest way at the top and I noticed the buds of leaves had popped up on the branches practically overnight. Soon the tree would be covered with beautiful, fan-like lush green leaves. I’d seen it. My neighbors Howie and Robin joined us with folding chairs. They set up their chairs at a distance. There was plenty of room for social distancing in the front yard. Then, Howie and Robin had guitars, I got out my ukulele and Savoy his flute, and we were jamming in the front yard. We were far enough apart to do it safely, way more than six feet. People walking on the trail stopped and waved at us. My heart filled with the warmth of joy. I missed more than anything except for visiting my family attending ukulele jams and music jams — playing music with others. Also, Savoy and I went to a jam at his friend’s house in the psychedelic room every Friday night. That of course had gone away with the pandemic along with everything else. I could tell we were all so grateful and happy to play music again underneath the sweet gum tree.

Soon, those fan-like leaves filled the sweet gum tree. Savoy invited the neighbor and a couple of friends to join us in the front yard where everyone would scatter their chairs, except couples could sit close together of course. My son Stevie visited with his girlfriend Flower and sat underneath the tree as well, and he then brought his ex-girlfriend whom he’s still friends with, and his friend John another time. Jen, the mom of two of my grandkids, visited us while on a trip to Seattle, Washington with her dog Kamala. This would be the dog’s last journey. We all sat underneath the tree.

The sweet gum tree provided warmth and shade in a cool world, an unknown world all summer long.  Neighbors and friends arrived to sit outside whenever they wished. They knew where all the chairs were. We celebrated birthdays underneath the sweet gum tree including my 63rd birthday My son Stevie and his girlfriend joined us underneath the protection of the sweet gum tree.

I learned to play and sing some new songs, and also played the familiar ones.

Then in October, it happened. My younger son brought my grandkids up for a short visit from California. We all met for an entire day into the evening under the sweet gum tree and Three-year-old Charlotte beelined for the swing which hung from the tree’s sturdy branches. I had not seen anyone use up until then. My youngest grandson Isaaak, whom I call “Scrunch” dashed around in circles, his blonde curls bouncing up and down, reminding me of his dad when he was small. My brother Michael brought his daughter and grandson to visit that day, and Stevie and Flower joined us as well. It was a family reunion under the sweet gum tree, the first time I’d seen my grandkids since the previous Christmas. We decided to meet outdoors because it was safest.

My boyfriend performed some magic tricks for everyone as he had been a magician in one of his previous lives. Jeremiah, my grandson, became excited because he loves magic tricks, always has.

Savoy brought out bongo drums and little Charlotte played them, and so did her dad who has always had his own set of bongo drums. Then I played my ukulele and Savoy played the flute, and I sang “Happy Together” which all the kids loved and knew. They sang along and little Isaak jumped up and down over and over again. Charlotte danced and Jeremiah sang, so grown up and sophisticated now at the age of nine. They visited us three times before heading back to California and even stopped by on their way back. It was hard for me to say goodbye to them. Charlotte jumped on the swing one more time, and I showed Jeremiah the “secret, magical trail” I found by the creek up the street and let him ride my 1965 Stingray bike around. It was also the first time my boyfriend had met my other son and my grandkids.

I cried when they left, but I was also so grateful to see them, even just outside under the tree.

As Halloween approached, the days became colder and the rain began again. The sun showed up on Halloween Day, so we got together with our neighbors and friends for what could be the last gathering of the year before the weather completely changed. Savoy ordered a couple of pizzas and set up one of his folding tables, and several people showed up, spread out all over the yard around the tree which still had its leaves, but they had begun to turn yellow and gold. Some of our friends wore costumes, a funny hat or a tuxedo shirt, a werewolf costume. All of them said this was the first year they wouldn’t be attending Halloween parties. The big one always happened at Savoy’s friend Danny’s house where he went all out for Halloween with decorations and costumes and several bands playing music pretty much all night long. All of it canceled.

One of Savoy’s friends brought over Greek Salad, and we ate and drank and played music – of course, Monster Mash because I insisted. Savoy’s friend Mikey was awesome as the “Monster Mash dude.” We sat out there until after dark because no one wanted to leave. A few kids in costumes walked by on the trail across the street where kids searched for pumpkins. But no trick or treating which to me seemed strange. But nothing had been normal about the year.

When people finally began to leave on Halloween night, I looked up into the branches of the sweet gum tree. A few leaves broke off and twirled around in the night breeze. The temperature dropped and we felt raindrops. Time to go.

The sweet gum tree never left, but it lost its leaves, and it became too cold and rainy to hang out except maybe for a few moments between rainstorms.

Now, the leaves have begun to sprout again, and sometimes the weather cooperates. My sister just visited last week, and we sat under the tree and talked about our past.

April 24, 2021 03:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.