The dark side

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: End your story with a truth coming to light.... view prompt

2 comments

Sad

As sun rays passes between rods of enclosure, Saribha wakes up first among everyone in the morning.She has always been strong enough to face challenges in life but this captivity has changed the way she must live.She comes out and takes up a round around the borders of enclosure to make sure that everything is fine.Saribha makes sure to keep an eye on her surroundings all the time. She turns back to return to the cave which was there in that confinement zone for her to stay, then she sees her eldest kid coming out of the hidden spot, inside the cave,where she hid her five children. As she goes to him,by then her five children came out.Saribha didn't want to force her children to get inside as they were out to see the world for the first time. She stood in front of her children and looked around as far as she can to make sure once again that her children aren't in any danger.

But she wasn't able to notice that her danger spotted her children,standing behind her.The person who guards there enclosure. She is always alert about her kids to make sure that no human could notice them until they grow enough to fight for themselves.But this time,the guardian got to know that their isn't only saribha staying inside the cave,their are even saribha's children.Seeing children around he makes up his mind to take the children away from her.

The five kids were having fun around. Three brothers and two sisters were growing strong under their mother's protection. The three brothers went towards the Iron rods and started trying to pull off the fence with was rolled to the Iron rods,and were having fun rolling on the ground,they were enjoying being out. Meanwhile the two sisters went around the confinement zone playing and fighting. After having a lot of fun,both of them lied on the grass to take some rest. They turned around and looked up to the sky,saw the birds freely flying in the air,having there wings opened and trees swinging because of early morning winds.Being in the dark,right from there birth and now breathing fresh air,they just felt free for a minute.The two sisters wondered how would the world beyond this captivity would be,would it be beautiful or scary or it would be so large then expected or it would be too tiny and harsh. Looking towards the fence infront of them,they thought to themselves that when would they live a life of freedom.

Meanwhile they noticed that the threat of their life,the guardian coming to check and they immediately ran back to their mother. Saribha clearly signed to all her children to get in to the cave. All the five rushed inside the cave and saribha stood outside the cave like a protector. The guardian has seen cubs going inside and didn't want saribha to know that, so he silently goes back.After coming into darkness again, the sisters who were thinking of being free and to live life by there own just few minutes before, now made up there mind that they would never be free in this life.

After her children being safe inside the hid spot and noone being around,saribha calmly sat on the grass to relax for sometime. But she always knew threat might come anytime and she must be ready protect her children.As the sun started setting in the west,she notices that not only the guardian, but few new people surrounding the enclosure. She stood and starred at everyone thinking what would they do now.

Saribha always knew that, this moment would come.She was ready face everyone around buy all of a sudden, saribha was hit by an injection ,through an injection gun from the person standing in right side of her,500 meters far. Saribha clearly understood that they came to take her children and she started screaming as loud that,even 10 km far person could hear her. Everyone even being stood outside the fence,took backfoot as she was getting aggressive and protective towards her children.

Because of the injection saribha was slowly losing her consciousness and she slowly started feeling asleep. Everyone knew that she would fall on ground in few minutes, observing saribha falling on grass,guardian took stones into his hands and started throwing on the cave in which her children where hiding. Everyone there did the same to make them scared so that they would come out.

The cubs out off fear came out and saw her mother lying on the grass. As guardian opened the fence,a man entered into the enclosure and took all the cubs into a box and left the confinement zone.Lioness saribha,who lived her whole life in captivity ,in a zoo and even lost her parents which made her always on duty of protecting her cubs,being helpless, lied on the ground and watched humans taking her cubs whom she carried inside her for 120 days and secretly brought up from past three weeks. Saribha tries a lot to wake up but she couldn't. She was trying atleast to roar but she wasn't even able to breathe properly.

Lioness Saribha just kept looking at her cubs in the box which were roaring at the high pitch they can.The cubs were looking at there mother,who was dying but yet trying to get up to come to them. After the dose of injection totally got spread inside,her eyes slowly shut down and she will never be able to open her eyes again. Her battle of fight between death and protecting her children in which she wasn't able to conquer neither one of it tells that, just being unable to communicate doesn't mean animals don't have any feelings. She might be an animal,but a mother will be the same in every inch of this world.Even she loved her children with every inch of her heart and was protective about them as every human mother would do.But we fail to understand animals and only see their wild phase. Her helplessness proved the famous saying "IF ANIMALS COULD SPEAK,HUMANITY WOULD CRY"

May 06, 2021 07:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Charli Britton
17:44 May 08, 2021

There were a few times when there was no space between the sentences, but overall, great job!

Reply

Pranavi Ch
18:44 May 08, 2021

This is first story I wrote,so thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.