0 comments

Adventure Suspense Coming of Age

“It doesn’t count if you are already planning your defeat,” said Tysha keeping her hands on Ash’s shoulder.

“You know it doesn’t sound that bad If I count my death.” Said Ash running a hand through his hair.

“Would you stop? All you have to do is take that book and come back.”

“And what if I get caught?”

“You won’t, and if you do, don’t worry, we will figure it out.”

“Ok if you say so,” Ash said and took the book which was right in front of him. Ash was unsure to open it, how he wishes he could ask Tysha to open it for him but sadly he is the only one who could read the contents of the book. His hands were shaking as he slowly opened the book and started ruffling through pages. He started to look for the page only he could understand. His knees felt like rubber. His heart pounded crazily like it was asking his soul to be prepared for anything.

“So, what is it?” asked Tysha.

“I’m still searching,” said Ash still ruffling through the pages.

“We have to figure it out soon,” Tysha said swallowing hard.

“Here it is!” Ash said finally getting the page he was looking for.

“What does it say?”

“It says that tomorrow it’s going to rain and it’s going to be sunny.”

“What’s that’s supposed to mean?” Tysha swallowing hard again.

“It says that it is going to rain but the sun will be shining at the same time,” Ash said finally looking at Tysha.

“I know what you said, I just don’t understand how is that possible,” Tysha said letting out an exasperated sigh. ‘How stupid does he think I am’, Tysha thought to herself. “Anyway….” Tysha continued “What are we going to do about it?”

“I don’t know, maybe ask Amandriel about it,” Ash said closing the book.

“But what good he will do?”

“He is in charge of all the weather disputes.”

“You think this is a dispute?”

“So, you think this is normal?” Ash said mildly raising his voice. ‘Seriously how stupid can you be Tysha.’ Ash thought to himself. ‘No wonder god fired you as his assistant’.

“So, what now?”

“Let’s find Amandriel.” And with those words, Ash started walking.

“Wait for me!” Tysha started following her friend.

It took them nearly about 5 minutes to reach Amandriel’s office. The office was surrounded by mist. It only clears with Amandriel’s permission. Seems like he always wants privacy while working.

“Amandriel!” Ash called out “We need your help with something!”

As mentioned before the mist only clears with Amandriel’s permission, so upon hearing Ash’s voice the mist which was surrounding his office started to clear.

“What you want?” asked Amandriel without looking up from his piece of paper on which he was writing something.

“Way to greet a friend Amandriel.” Said Ash half smiling. “There is something wrong with tomorrow’s weather.”

“Nope, there is nothing wrong with tomorrow’s weather” Amandriel quickly dismissed Ash’s acquisitions within seconds.

“How can you be so sure? Have a look.” Said Ash as he placed the book on Amandriel’s table.

Amandriel stopped writing and slowly looked over to the book which Ash just placed on his table.

“Go on have a look!” Ash said with hopeful eyes.

“ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND ASH!!” Amandriel said raising his voice. “THIS BOOK IS GOD’S PERSONAL JOURNAL. AND YOU TO STOLE IT FROM HIM?!”

“I DIDN’T STEAL IT. IT WAS RIGHT IN FRONT ME.” Ash shouted back. He was getting tired of people telling him what to do and what not to do and even it was god’s journal shouldn’t he be keeping his journal somewhere safe and hidden.

“So, you got tempted?!” Amandriel asked cooling down a bit.

“Would you please look at my problem first, then we can discuss how much a poor example of an angel I am?” Said Ash ruffling his hair.

“Why should I? If I help you, I might get in trouble with you.”

“You won’t, you have my word I will try everything in my power to keep you in the clear.” Ash took a deep breath.

Amandriel let out an exasperated sigh. He stopped whatever he was doing and eyed Tysha who was biting her nails while witnessing the whole scene between him and Ash.

“Tysha you are in this with him?” Asked Amandriel with a hint of disbelief in his voice.

“Yes, I guess…...” Tysha let out an awkward chuckle.

“More like she was the one who came up with this idea.” Ash pitched in.

Amandriel again let out an exasperated sigh. “Just because you are not god’s assistant anymore doesn’t give you the right to do things like this.”

“I know but Ash really needed help, and I’m the only one who knew where he kept his journal,” Tysha said hanging her head low.

“It’s not her fault Amandriel leave her out of this.” Said Ash “Now would you stop judging us and start helping.”

“Ughh!! Fine”. Amandriel let out a groan. “Fine what you need help with?”

“Tomorrow’s weather is a bit sketchy Amandriel, it says it will rain and the sun will shine at the same time.” Said Ash pointing his finger on the certain page of the book.

“That’s strange,” Amandriel spoke lowly with his hand covering his mouth.

“Yeah tell me about it.” Said Ash.

“No, I’m not talking about the weather Ash,” Amandriel said removing his hand from his mouth.

“Then what?” Tysha chimed in.

“Isn’t it strange how you can read god’s personal journal while none of us can read it?”

“Maybe the page was written just for me to read,” Ash said swallowing hard.

“And why would God want you to read his personal journal?” Amandriel asked crossing his hands.

“I don’t know….” Ash trailed off scratching his head.

“Now that we know what it means shouldn’t we do something?” Tysha spoke breaking the tension between Amandriel and Ash.

“What can we do about it?” Ash asked looking at her with furrowed eyebrows.

“Look the weather represents god’s mood so we do something about it and make god happy and also save the earthlings from this disturbing weather.” Said Tysha smiling ear to ear.

“OK….” Said Amandriel. He is still not convinced by Tysha’s idea. Why would he? He has things to do he is a busy angel.

“Look we have all done things that made god sad. Maybe we should use this opportunity to redeem ourselves.” Tysha said again smiling ear to ear.

“This doesn’t sound so bad. Maybe we should take this opportunity.” Ash spoke with a hint of hope in his voice.

“Yes, what you say about it Amandriel?” Tysha asked with the same hopeful voice. Hoping for a different answer.

“Am I the only smart piece on the board?!” We are going to redeem ourselves by already committing a felon? Ash, Tysha you both stole his journal and read one page of it for crying out loud!” Amandriel was starting to lose his patience. His vein in the head was only a few steps away from popping.

“Ok Amandriel.” Said Ash “If you don’t want to do it then ok.”

“No, our vote must be unanimous.” Said Tysha.

“This isn’t a democracy Tysha.”

“Quiet right Ash. This is a family.” Tysha said beamingly. Tysha and Ash both looked at Amandriel with widely open eyes waiting for an answer. More like waiting for a “YES’.

“What’s life without a little risk?” Amandriel muttered to himself. “Ok, then how are we going to do this?”.

“First shouldn’t we list down our deeds which made god sad?” asked Ash scratching his head.

“Well, why don’t you start Tysha” Amandriel said with a smirk. “Since God fired you a few days ago, because of your incompetency”.

“Gladly Amandriel….” Tysha spoke with a short pause “Well I made two appointments for two different issues but there was disagreement between them no matter how hard I tried to resolve the issue. I just couldn’t….” “And….” She continued as Ash and Amandriel continued to listen to her intently. “Which led a quarrel between two Angels and this saddened both me and god.” So, God left and I too left my post.”

“Wait I thought God fired you?” Ash chimed in.

“Well, technically he did.” Said Tysha running a hand through her hair.

“How?!” asked both Ash and Amandriel at the same time.

“Well aren’t you guys two peas in a pod?” Tysha said letting out a soft chuckle.

“Technically how did god fire you?” Amandriel asked this time.

“That’s a story for some other time, but I did make god sad so I have to redeem myself by doing my job right,” Tysha said

“Ok….” Amandriel said, “Ash how about you go next.”

“Well I didn’t do my job right, God told me to bring me the files concerning two countries I only brought one,” Ash said.

“That’s it?” Asked Amandriel with furrowed eyebrows.

“Yeah, that’s about it.”

“Well, Ash why don’t you tell us about that thing?” Amandriel asked crossing his hands.

Ash let out an awkward chuckle “What are you talking about?”

“How about when you told me that I have no opinions of my own I only do what God tells me to do?!” Amandriel said by mildly raising his voice again.

“HEY! I SPOKE THE TRUTH YOU HAVE NO OPINIONS OF YOUR OWN!”. Ash said by keeping his hands on his hips.

“I WAS ONLY FOLLOWING MY ORDERS! THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!” replied Amandriel

“AS IF !!!”

“YOU WANT MY OPINION WELL HERE IT IS,” Amandriel said with a smirk “YOU ARE A BRAT, YOU MADE GOD SAD THE MOST!”

“WELL THANK YOU FOR YOUR HONESTY YOU NICOMPOOP,” Ash spoke returning the smirk Amandriel just gave him.

“YOU ARE NICOMPOOP!” Amandriel with the vein popping out on his head.

Ash and Amandriel didn’t say anything for an awhile. The tension was so thick that you can use a knife to cut it. Suddenly, Tysha cleared her throat to get attention from the other two angels. As she was about to speak Ash interrupted. “How come we always end up like this?”. Which gained Amandriel’s attention. “What do you mean?”. asked Amandriel

“That every time we have an argument about this we end up in this awkward situation,” Ash said ruffling his already messy hair. “I apologized to you…” Ash continued “But it seems that you are still upset about it” he spoke in a low voice hanging his head low.

“Well, you didn’t say sorry from your heart,” Amandriel said with trembling lips.

“Yes, you are right I didn’t apologize from the heart I only said it because I thought God would like that, nothing makes god sadder than seeing his creations fight,” Ash spoke with tears in his eyes.

“Well, what now?”

“I’m sorry Amandriel, and I really mean it this time. You have your own opinions; you are not a nincompoop. You are smart, God chose you for an important task, you have your own free will.” Ash said smiling this time. Although he had tears in his eyes. He had enough of this senseless fight.

“Ok, I forgive you, Ash,” Amandriel said returning the smile.

“Look, guys!” Tysha’s voice interrupted the moment Ash and Amandriel were having. They both looked at Tysha who was holding out the god’s journal.

“What is it?” asked Ash wiping out his tears.

“The weather changed! It’s going to be sunny tomorrow.” Tysha said grinning ear to ear.

“Well what changed God’s mood so quickly?” asked Ash half amused.

“Your apology did Ash,” Amandriel replied crossing his arms.

“What, my apology did?” Ash asked furrowing his eyebrows.

“Yes, you said it earlier nothing makes god sadder than seeing his creations fight. You apologized which made god happier and that changed the weather and saved the humans from the disturbing weather at the same time.” Amandriel said smiling warmly.

“Well, this solves all our problems then,” Ash said clapping his hands together.

“Yes, it does.” Tysha chimed in.

“Well smart move Tysha.” Said Amandriel grabbing Tysha and Ash’s attention.

“What do you mean Amandriel?” Tysha asked swallowing hard.

“You set all this up! You planted that particular page in the journal for Ash to find and not to mention understand.” Amandriel said jumping up and down with a grin on his face.

A light bulb lighted upon Ash’s brain. “That’s right! Tysha you are one who asked me to sneak a peak on his journal.” Ash said with wide eyes.

“Ok, you got me,” Tysha said softly raising her hands up. “Yes, I did it all knowingly. I wanted to fix my error along with yours”.

“So, you didn’t get fired from your post?” Amandriel asked leaning forward.

“No, God didn’t fire me. I left because I thought I was incompetent.” Tysha said scratching her head lightly.

“So, you will get your job back?” Ash asked yawning.

“Yes, I will,” Tysha said smiling ear to ear.

“Well good for you, Now I can go and take a nap. Bye guys.” With those words, Ash left leaving Amandriel and Tysha behind.

“Can you believe this ignorant guy saved us from a lot of trouble?” Amandriel spoke shaking his head slowly. “Well, I don’t”.

“You and me both Amandriel”. Said Tysha taking a deep breath.

November 06, 2020 16:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.