2 comments

Fiction Mystery Thriller

I softly stroked his hair while he looked up to my eyes and smiled slightly. He brushed his jawline against my collarbone, his stubble rubbed on my skin, evoking a sensation I have been yearning for. I playfully moved away and he tightened his hug. I felt so safe at that very moment, where time seemed to stand still, and the worries that had weighed on my mind were washed away like scribbles on a sandy beach. I revelled in the safety of his arms, each heartbeat echoing a reassurance that I hadn't known I needed. His smile widened as if mirroring the contentment I felt, and I couldn't help but reciprocate with a smile of my own.

I leaned in closer, completely surrendering myself to his muscular clasp. It must have been a few minutes when a loud thunder was heard and I realised how cold the room was. The ceiling-to-floor windows behind us exposed how windy it was on the outside. I sat up and got out of bed to watch if it was raining yet. I walked past the bed to the 3-feet space between our bed and the clear window. His long-sleeved white shirt was laying on the wool-carpeted floor and I slid the shirt on, leaving it unbuttoned over my black mini dress. I sat cross-legged, facing the window, watching from probably the 7th floor of the building, what seemed like the very first drizzle of the night fall gracefully from the black sky. The trees below started rustling, with what began like a whisper in the air, gradually became a howl. It was way past midnight but I could see people walking quickly from one end to another, trying to get to a roofed building before it started pouring. A lady and her kid ran as the drizzles chased them, accompanied by a chilly breeze. A boy in a hoodie walked slowly, despite people rushing around him to step into a sheltered spot. 

“Baby. What are you looking at?” he hugged me from behind, moving my hair to my right and placed his chin on my left shoulder. 

“Just… watching people.” I answered, as it finally started pouring, getting heavier every second. 

“Whoa. That’s heavy. Hmm.. I’m glad I’m inside, with you.” He kissed my neck. 

“It’s so beautiful.” I said, still not moving my eyes from the sky, watching how the rain pours. 

“What is?” 

“Just the rain. And look at the tiny droplets on our window.”

“You are.”

“What?”

“You are. Beautiful,” he locked eyes with mine. 

I raised an eyebrow and smiled. The soft light from the lamp pole in front of our opposite building reflected delicately on us. I turned my body, facing his and he cupped my face. His arms had protruding veins and his tanned skin gleamed under the light. With his forefinger, he touched the tip of my nose and whispered “I love you.”

“Is that so?”

He nodded and kissed my forehead. “I love you. Marry me, please.”

I was not sure what I heard. “Yeah right!” I giggled. 

“Marry me, will you?” He looked into my eyes. 

I laughed. Then stopped. “What?”

He smiled shyly and that is when I knew he was serious. “I’m really asking. Will you?” He looked hopeful, the light from outside reflecting in his eyes.

“Oh my gosh, Dan. Seriously? I. Can’t. Even. This. Is. Sudden.” I ran out of words. I felt like the whole world just stopped and will only continue spinning after my answer. I looked at him, in disbelief. I knew what my answer was going to be. And I knew our lives would change for eternity from this moment. 

“Yes. Of course I will. You know that. Yes!” We kissed. Everything felt so surreal, like we were part of a fairytale and like we were being watched by a large group of audience, cheering and wiping away their happy tears. 

He grabbed a tiny pastel blue box from behind. I did not need for him to even open it, to know what was in it. Dan looked at me for a moment, seeing how my face lit up, he opened the tiny square cover, exposing a delicate, perfect diamond ring. He held my right hand and slid the ring on my finger. It looked magnificent and fitted me perfectly. 

“Gosh, Dan! I can’t believe this is happening. Did you plan this out? This is so amazing!” I was all smiley yet still shaky from what just happened. 

He replied, “It just felt like the right moment and time. After everything. Sorry I took this long. But I promise you, you are in the best hands. Literally.” We laughed. 

I felt sad. 

Suddenly. Because it was not raining outside. And I was not on the 7th floor of some luxurious condo either. And I was not wearing his white shirt and my little black dress underneath. I did not have any ring on my finger. And we were not getting married. And we were not even hugging. I was not in Dan’s arms. Dan was not even there with me. I was alone in my car, with my tumbler of coffee that had long turned cold. I grabbed my phone, opened my chat with Dan. How disappointed I was. No new messages from him, in fact I was still blocked. I turned my attention back to my laptop screen where I could see Dan moving about, from the living room to his bedroom, reemerging at the dining table. I looked outside through my car window, grateful to have gotten a good parking spot that allows me an unobstructed view of the house tonight, managing to catch a glimpse of Dan’s smile, while he looked at the young woman sitting beside him. My throat felt heavy as they shared a brief, enchanting kiss. They seemed to be happily in a conversation while moving the plates and bowls of dishes around the table. 

I felt sad.

I found myself wishing to hear Dan’s voice. Perhaps a tiny, concealed microphone next time. 

December 24, 2023 18:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

J. D. Lair
22:46 Jan 02, 2024

Aww, it was sounding like such a sweet start to the story. Letting go definitely is tough.

Reply

Sara Sorbet
01:35 Jan 03, 2024

Yes, it can be. Thank you for your feedback, J.D. Lair :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.