Would you like a literal slice of life

Written in response to: Write a story about a character who is experiencing glitches in their reality.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Historical Fiction

Would you like a (literal) slice of life ?

Your day started out pretty normal, it started with you waking up from a nightmare, then hurriedly brushing your teeth, throwing whatever piece of garment you happened to find on the ground,grab your phone and run down the stairs to the kitchen mentally preparing yourself for another boring day at H-E- double hokeysticks. Pretty "normal" and "average" start for a "routinely" and "uneventful" day.

However your day would be anything other than normal.

You realized this as you were trying to make breakfast. You cracked an egg and tipped it over waiting for the yolk to hit the pan and cause a sizzling sound, so you waited while checking the time on your phone. A few seconds and you heard no sound. Scowling you looked inside the egg and to your surprise it was empty... in utter confusion you threw it in the dustbin and cracked another... same thing excep in this one there was a note. Dropping the egg shell (which shattered into a hundred tiny pieces but made no liquid mess) you unfolded it and something was written on it, the handwriting however was scrawled out in a hurry making it difficult to read squinting you prepared to read it when you heard a bus horn! Deciding that you would decipher the note later you stuffed it in your bag and sprinted. There was after all only one bus to take you to H-E- double hokeysticks aka your workplace. And you really didn't want Hades to give you another earful or make you work alongside the daimons or Keres(and your overworld mortal friend thought their coworkers were bad). But if you did have to get a earful from Hades perhaps you could slip in the question of why your eggs where empty. And Hades being Hades would somehow find a way to blame it on Zeus and if not Zeus Posidein (though how he would manage to blame empty eggs on two major gods was beyond you). Suddenly a loud voice came through the speaker " Attention all passengers the next stop is *here a loud static interrupted* please make sure not to leave any belongings behind as the clean up crew will devouver them thank you " and with that the bus suddenly came to a violent stop. Getting down from the bus you looked around and then froze in shock. You weren't in the underworld for some reason in fact you looking around you realized you were in Mount Olympus ! Internally panicking you looked around to your coworkers (who lived in the overworld like you) and you saw that they were just as confused as you aftersll this bus only went from mortal world to underworld and underworld to mortal world. Besides if Zeus knew you were here he'd throw a fit... "HADES WHY ARE YOUR WORKERS IN MY MOUNT OLYMPUS" "look Zeus I don't know can you please just send them here" "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT DO YOU THINK I AM DUMB??" ("Yes" Hades quitely said) "YOU'RE TRYING TO OVERTHROW ME" "Zeus I'm really not " came Hades' reply, and after about an hour of fighting Zeus agreed to send you all to the underworld not because he believed Hades but because "y'all are ruining my aesthetic ". As far as gods go Hades was pretty just so he let you all of with a warning. Your (overworld living ) coworkers consisted of : a child of Athena who helped the daimons and assigned punishments , a child of Hermes who was mostly a messenger between the judges, the dead and Hades , a child of Apollo who mostly worked around elysium and a few others who you hadn't bothered to learn about. You were a child of Thanatos and your job was to see which souls deserved rebirth and which deserved eternal damnation, and sometimes when a soul pleaded for revaluation you'd collect evidence for whether it deserved rebirth, elysium or torture. You also managed which souls went into which underworld river and sometimes you'd assist in other jobs as well. But today you couldn't focus the eggs and bus stopping at Mt.Olympus was still bothering you. Then you remembered the note! Pulling it out you read it and to your dissatisfaction it only contained five words : Good Luck survive the glitch. Utterly confused you decided to go ask Hades about it. As you entered the throne room to your surprise no one was there. Stepping out you re-entered the room and this time it wasn't empty. Hades was there sitting at the big throne with Persephone at his side while two daimons stood gaurd. It also appeared that a soul had come in with a request just then Hades saw you and exclaimed "Ah Elliot this soul wishes for re-evaluation it's trial is sundown tommorow it's name is **** *** ******* and it is **years old!" "Oh erm of course I'll work right on it sir !" You said hurriedly exiting the room embarrassed. Why had you ever thought telling HADES about it the egg issue was possibly some scam or conspiracy and the bus was probably a freak malfunction. But the note? You sighed this was all much too perplexing. Entering your office you saw you it was a exact copy of yourself finding information on the ghost you'd just heard about. Your carbon copy turned around and you screamed so did it. Running out of the office you ran into a wall... and woke up in your own bed. It was just a dream thank god you thought however suddenly the world around you glitched a very large egg got cracked above you and you were bathed with enough yolk to drown an elephant. Screaming you made a run for it however you slipped on the yolk and banged you head against your very own desk."Elliot!" A screetching voice shouted and you jolted upright drenched with sweat and yolk. "Finish your work and for Hells' sake get that yolk of your clothes it smells" the daimon said before flying away. You looked down and saw you were indeed drenched in yolk and sweat, not nearly as much yolk as before but considerably alot which meant that that wasn't dream. Looking around your office your copy had disappeared as well. The piece of paper that read Good Luck survive the glitch made a bit more sense now.

February 06, 2023 07:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.