1 comment

Adventure Contemporary Inspirational

   “Who?”

        “Your Uncle Rafferty’s son, Dominic.”

        “I didn’t even know Uncle Rafe had a son named Dominic.”

        “Apparently, Dominic is from your Uncle Rafferty’s first wife, Carole.”

        “He was married to someone before Aunt Gwendolyn?”

        “You didn’t know he was married before?”

        “No. Uncle Rafe was much older than my mother. They had a huge family. Most of his kids were having kids when I was born.”

        “I see. Well, apparently, Dominic knew you.”

        “And what does he want from me?”

        “He doesn’t want anything from you, Miss Branson. He’s dead.”

        “Oh, my goodness! I didn’t even get to meet him. Wait, then what is this all about?”

        “His will.”

        “His will? What does that have to do with me?”

        “He is leaving all his possessions to you.”

        “This must be a joke, Mr…”

        “Green. And no, this is not a joke. There is a sizable fortune and a cabin near a lake in Arkansas.”

        “And he wants to give all this to me? Someone he doesn’t know?”

        “Oh, he knows you. He's been reading your blogs. He has a copy of all your poetry chapbooks, your novel, and he listens to your CDs. He was a subscriber to your YouTube channel, as well. I understand he really liked your website. He has followed your career in the opera as well.”

        “A stalker?”

        “Oh no, Miss Branson. He wanted to know all his cousins; so, he researched and followed them all on Facebook, Twitter, and the like. Then, when he found the one he knew would benefit the most and do something wonderful with the fortune left for them, he made his decision. He chose you, Miss Branson.”

        “Really? Me? What did he find that was so special about me?”

        “He didn’t tell me, Miss. He said you will find all the answers to your questions when you arrive at the cabin. I have a ticket here for you. We just need to get you on a plane in one month.”

        “One month? Why one month?”

        “There is a catch. You must give away all your possessions. You may keep one hundred items, including clothes, books, or whatever you wish. But all else must be given away within the month. You may give them to friends or relatives if you would like, but much of it will need to go to the poor. You may not sell anything.”

        “Is this real? Give away everything?”

        “Yes. It is stipulated in the will that, as you can see, has been verified and stamped by the notary public’s seal. You will have the rest of the weekend to think about it, and I will be back Sunday evening at 8:00 to hear your decision. The fortune is more than you will ever need. But you must leave everything behind and only taking with you what is necessary.”

        “Thank you. I will consider this. Is the cabin near a town? Being single and all, I am afraid of being that isolated,” Gale said and chewed on her lip.

        “I can tell you is that it is fifteen minutes from the nearest town. There is WiFi available, and if you have Verizon, you won’t have any problems with phone service.”

        “That’s good to know. But I really don’t know what to do.”

        “Well, Miss Branson, I suggest you pray about it and speak to whomever you need to because Monday marks the first of January. You must be at the cabin on the first of February, or you will not get the inheritance.”

        “Oh, my goodness.”

        “Yes. Well, I shall leave you to ponder and pray.”

        “Thank you, Mr. Green. I guess I will see you Sunday evening.”

        Gale Branson saw Mr. Green to the door and watched as he drove away. She picked up the teacups and found Mr. Green’s card and an envelope on the coffee table. Quickly, she took the cups to the kitchen, put them in the dishwasher, and ran back to look at the envelope. It was addressed to her.

         Dearest Cousin Gale,

              I know you do not know me from Adam, but I am your

             cousin, Dominic. Your Uncle Rafferty was my father.

I have no family to speak of as my parents have passed

on into heaven, and my half-siblings do not recognize

me as family. I have made a search of my extended

family and have chosen you as to whom I shall bequeath

my wealth, possessions, cabin, and land. Much of my

possessions I have given away, but the cabin is well-

appointed and will need little to make it your home.

I do hope you will receive this gift and adhere to the

stipulations I have placed before you. 

              I have come to know you through social media and

wish I had the opportunity to meet you personally

before I go on to be with the Lord. But, alas, my dear

cousin, I only have a few weeks, at most, to live. I will

            leave another letter or two at the cabin, hopefully, before

I perish.

          I do hope you will enjoy your new home. I feel I have

chosen wisely.

         Blessings,

         Your Cousin Dominic

Gale wiped the tears from her face and sat there, staring at the letter.

        “What am I going to do?” she said, looking about her apartment. She liked her job. She really didn’t want to be a secretary. Still, her boss was friendly and promised a year-end bonus and a boost in salary come January. Looking for a new church filled her Sundays and Wednesday nights since her former boyfriend wouldn’t leave her alone. That mess she wouldn’t mind giving up. Her brother moved a month prior, so Christmas came and went without his laughter and antics. But, my friends, my antiques, my books.

“What am I going to do?” she repeated. “I can replace most of my books, I suppose.”

        Choosing one hundred items is going to be difficult. She knew she wanted a hundred articles per room in her apartment. Gale’s brother had once laughed and called her a hoarder wannabe.

“You have so much stuff. It’s all organized, and your place is lovely, but Gale, something’s gotta give here,” he said just before he left.

She told him that she knew he was right and planned on going through things and parting with some. Gracious, how was she going to figure this out. I should pray, as Mr. Green suggested.

“Lord, my life is in your hands. Thank you for Mr. Green’s visit and for my Cousin Dominic. I pray that he is with you now, and I will meet this cousin in heaven one day. What should I do, Lord? Is this a test?”

Gale waited, knowing He would answer her. She made more tea and walked through her apartment, looking at her possessions with the eye of a stranger. Wandering, she picked up a few treasured items then replacing them as she found them. She liked her chaos to, at least, look organized. Prayerfully, she entered each room, viewing her things with a critical eye. I can part with this. I can buy myself another one of those. She checked the time and called her brother.

“Sam, are you asleep?”

  “Not anymore. What’s up?”

  “Sorry. I can call you tomorrow.”

  “I won’t go back to sleep if you don’t tell me, so out with it.”

  “Okay.” Gale relayed what had transpired while Sam looked up Mr. Green on his phone. Then, he looked up this supposed cousin.

  “It’s all here. Seems Cousin Dominic's family is outraged they didn’t get a big chunk of money. Looks like you’re the lucky one.”

  “Well, at least I know it’s legit. What should I do?”

  “What do you want to do?”

  “You’re not helping.”

  “Yes, I am. You have to make up your own mind. But tell you what, if you decide to go, I’ll meet you at the cabin.”

        “You will?”

  “Of Course.”

  “Okay. Sam, I’m scared to do this alone.”

        “What part? Taking the money, the land, or the cabin?”

        “Not that, you dope. What about all my stuff?”

        “It’s stuff, Gale. You have a month. Get rid of one hundred things a day. Start there.”

        “Hmm. Thanks, Sam. Go back to sleep.”

        “Great, I’m wide awake now.”

        “Sorry. Start at the A’s and pray through the alphabet. It always helps me.”

        “Not a bad idea. Better than counting sheep. Talk to you tomorrow.”

        “Okay. Thanks again, Sam. Loves.”

        “Back atcha! Sweet dreams of a lovely cabin, Gale.”

        She laughed as he hung up.

  Peace. Thanks, God, I feel it. I can do this. She smiled. One hundred items a day. Wait, I have over 2,000 books. I’m gonna need to boost that number. I better get at it. Gale went to the living room and snatched up Mr. Green’s card. She dialed the number.

        “Mr. Green? I’m all in.”

December 13, 2020 23:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Teresa Moyer
10:18 Dec 22, 2020

Really good!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.