The Golden Book ~ Case 1 ~ The Birds v/s The Elephant

Written in response to: Write about a character reflecting on the previous year.... view prompt

24 comments

Inspirational

It was a beautiful day in the forest. All the animals woke up with the Sun’s rays coming from the canopies above them. However, the birds were in for a surprise. All of them suddenly found a major change in their form and shape.

The Peacock lost its majestic tail, the Parrot lost its beautiful colour and the Woodpecker was left without its sharp beak.

The Ducks were unable to swim properly, the Eagle wasn’t able to glide, the Koyal (Cuckoo bird) was not able to sing its sweet song.

But the hummingbird was hit the worst, it wasn’t able to flap its wings as fast as it did earlier. All the birds were shocked to see that even the Owl, the wisest bird wasn’t able to give advice!

Everyone was in awe and wanted to find the root for this problem.

One day, after noticing the changes for a while, the king of the birds , the Hornbill called an emergency meeting.

Commencing the meeting, it said, “As you all know, my dear subjects that drastic changes have been seen in us from the past few days. If anyone happens to know anything about it, you must tell me right away.”

Listening to this, the hummingbird said shyly, “Your Majesty, I know something, a couple of days before the changes started happening, I saw the Vulture eating flesh from a dead elephant . He was having so much fun and was mocking me for not eating it and going after the nectar of flowers. The elephant’s sister came and saw the sight. It got very angry and cursed the Vulture. It said, ‘You naughty bird! You have done a very big mistake. You are taking pride by eating my brother? You don’t know what we elephants go through and what we do for you all. And now, when my brother is dead, instead of praying at his corpse, you are eating it, with such glee! I curse the whole bird kind that all birds will loose their special features so that none of you are able to disrespect us!’”

The birds were shocked at hearing this and a huge chaos was created. Some birds wanted to go straight to the Vulture and set him straight. The others, who were herbivores, wanted to talk to the she-elephant and request her to take back the curse.

The second idea was considered and the Hornbill, along with a few other birds went to the she-elephant.

The she-elephant was still mourning for its brother. At the sight of the birds, it became ferocious and asked them to go away.

The birds pleaded their case and the Hornbill came forward to talk to the elephant. “Dear, please listen to us. It is natural for the Vulture to eat the dead. Like you eat plants, and they don’t complain, because it is the nature’s way, similarly, the Vulture feeds on the dead. I know it must have been hard for you to see your brother’s corpse being eaten by the Vulture, but think about it in from the point of view of the Vulture. He feeds on the decaying. We understand that the Vulture was also wrong in taking so much pleasure and boasting about himself. But please, understand that if there aren’t any Vultures, where will all the dead bodies of animals and birds go? Please understand the nature’s way of healing itself and showing wonders.

The birds pleaded again. This time, the elephant said, “Ok! I will take back the curse, but first the Vulture should apologize and I have something to say to him as well.”

The birds flew to the Vulture and it flew back to apologize. The elephant said, “I am sorry I acted selfishly and thought that you were disrespecting us, in fact, you were just doing what mother nature has asked you to do. Please find it in your heart to forgive me.”

Then, she took back the curse and went on her way back to her herd.

The birds didn’t feel the same they had done before the curse for a few days but then it started. The Peacock regained its tail, the Parrot became, well, ‘parrot green’ again and all the other birds were normal again.

What does this story tell me, you ask? Well, it tells that you should be able to adapt to changes, and that you should be able to apologize for your mistakes. No matter which team you are on, you must be able to look closely at both point of views and be able to take rational decisions.

And remember!

Everyone has their own space in nature, in this world and in your life. Let them use that space according to them. 


December 27, 2021 13:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

Graham Kinross
05:06 Apr 14, 2022

Do you have more stories about curses? I’ve never heard the word shraap before. It would be interesting to see how you would write something like this now.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:46 Apr 14, 2022

No, I don't, as of now. I'll try to write more....if I do, I'll inform you! :) Yes, shraap is a Hindi word, it means curse, in a pretty evl-ish sense. However, if you really wanna read more stories based on curses, read this.... (copy paste the link in your browser): https://wp.me/pd3y1A-jV

Reply

Graham Kinross
05:49 Apr 14, 2022

Ok. Thanks for that. I’ll have a look.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:56 Apr 14, 2022

Welcome!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
05:57 Apr 14, 2022

Are you from Japan by any chance?

Reply

Graham Kinross
08:36 Apr 14, 2022

I’m from the U.K. but I live in Tokyo now. Where are you?

Reply

Dhwani Jain
09:59 Apr 14, 2022

Nice I am from India

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
23:02 Jan 01, 2022

Lol very quick and fast paced story. I could kinda tell that you wanted to get to the moral quickly. I agree with Livia, the elephant seemed really quick to forgive the vulture. And I had a thought, why does only the elephant get to give and take back curses? Is she some kind of magical wizard or something lol. I kinda liked it overall. Great job :)

Reply

Dhwani Jain
04:01 Jan 02, 2022

I know it was quick I wrote it in 7th grade...XD Also, you see in India, a curse or a shraap can only be taken back by a person who gave the curse ... So that's that

Reply

TJ Squared
11:14 Jan 02, 2022

Lol Ah makes sense.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Gip Roberts
21:44 Dec 28, 2021

I like the narration, especially in the final two paragraphs. I did notice a few places, though, where the wording could be polished: "You have done a very big mistake." Replace "done" with "made". "All birds will loose their special features." Replace "loose" with "lose". "Some birds wanted to go straight to the vulture and set him straight." Replace with "Some birds wanted to go straight to the vulture and complain." or another word to cut the two instances of "straight" in the same sentence down to one. Other than that, I enjoyed rea...

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:20 Dec 29, 2021

Yeah, I agree with all these suggestions! Thanks a lot for pointing them out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
20:25 Dec 28, 2021

Hey Dhwani! I really like that this story has a clear-cut message that you get across to the reader perfectly. I also like the idea that the curse takes away from the birds what is special about them. It adds a new meaning to normal. A piece of advice I have is to linger on the conversation with the elephant sister and expand on it instead of running through it quickly. That way the emotion the sister is feeling will feel that much more real. Also, why did she forgive the vulture so quickly? You've drawn the picture of a grief-stricken, ...

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:17 Dec 29, 2021

Hey Livia! Firstly, I don't know if I have ever said this to you, but THANK YOU! for making Scribbls and coming up with such a fabulous idea. Next, it feels nice that you liked the message, and you don't know how awesome it is to finally see a long comment! Yeah, I think so too. That's what I struggle in my writing, I write impatiently and don't wait to add the details and all that. Yup, I totally agree with your thoughts....just wait till you see the original work that I have remodeled now. it was about 350 words long...you'll get the i...

Reply

Lilliane Wei
05:30 Dec 29, 2021

Hi Dhwani!!! No need to thank me, it was a group idea, I was just the one who made the actual document lol Haha, I like leaving my messages as long as possible because I know how it feels to open up my notifs and seeing that someone took the time to really read my stories and write out a long response ;) Maybe, but that can be learned while your creative talent can't :D Hahaha, I can't wait to see it!! I'll take a look right now :) Of course and always!!!

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:43 Dec 29, 2021

Hey!!! OK, ok, But still...having all that space clammed up in your Drive is a ton of work...don't tell me that you're not tempted to delete it...? I know..... Which of your stories do you want me to read (preferably a stand alone?) Yeah XD I will never! =D <3

Reply

Lilliane Wei
05:53 Dec 29, 2021

No...I have never ever felt like deleting it... *totally not lying through my teeth, totally...* 🙄🙄🙄🙄😂😉🙃 Lol, please don't feel like you have to read any of my stories but if you really want to, please check out my newest one "pass it on."

Reply

Dhwani Jain
06:00 Dec 29, 2021

I get it!!! I don't feel 'obliged' I just want to! okay, will do that after an hour or so more of online school

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.