0 comments

Bedtime Drama Fantasy

A tale, one as old as time,

A love that brought them to life.

Two hearts, beating as one,

One curse, to leave them undone.

--

Young children are always adorable. They don't see money, they don't see class, they don't see the thousands of rules we adults are committed to. But they see crystal the ideals we strive for - love, friendship, honesty, valor. The rules are simple. The hearts are pure. Dreams are nothing more but just a simple possibility.

And this is why the wide, full of hedges and perfectly trimmed rose bushes, the garden echoed with childish-like laughter. Vitor, the son of the groom who served the royal horses, and Annette, the soon-to-be heiress of the said horses, played their favorite game - hide and seek. With a slight modification, of course - all children modify their games up to their tastes.

But first, we must tell you what was so different about Vitor and Annette. They lived in a rather... Curious world. A world in which... Almost everything was possible. A world, in which Annette was the proud daughter of The King of The Sea. No one knew his name - no one had to. All the people had to remind themselves was that he was The King of The Sea, The One to Rule Them All, and the only one who was allowed to use The Old Magic - the one to control the waves, the rains, the rivers, even the simple, little pools. Soon, his time was going to come, and Annette was going to get into his place - as The Queen of The Sea. The One to Rule Them All. The only one who was allowed to use The Old Magic. Until she has a daughter, or perhaps a son, on her own, and starts to train them. And then, her time was going to come, and her son or daughter was going to take the throne. And so on, until the end of the world.

Annette was coming from a long line of pure-blood Water Nymphs. Once upon a time, she even had 13 brothers and sisters - then again, she was 16 now and was the only one left. The only one who proved herself worthy to wear the title. The only one who survived all of the trials - various competitions and tests to prove her strength, her loyalty to the crown, her finesse, her mind, her wit... As funny as this may sounds, her compassion, and love ven.

Of course, a Queen had to have a warm, soft heart. It just... All that love had to be pointed in the right direction, to the right people.

She had the love. But it was pointed towards the only person in the whole wide world who believed in her, the only one who even fought hard enough and stayed long enough to know the real her - Vitor.

Some time ago - for her, it felt like ages, but for Vitor, it was just the other day, Anette was walking through the rose bushes. Fourteen years old at the time, she just passed her final test successfully - breathing underwater. It was a rather simple exercise - who could breathe underwater for the longest? Combining her concentration and her strength, extremely remarkable for her age, she spent nine days in the water - before her biggest sister, Jaqueline, her final opponent, fell from exhaustion. There was no funeral, of course - no one wanted to celebrate the death of the weak. Jaqueline, even promising, proved to be a shame for the crown and she got what she deserved.

No, now was time to celebrate The New Heiress. And the beginning of her final training, maybe even the most important one - how to rule with an iron fist and a wise mind.

But just before the celebration, she had a little time... And she wanted to spend it all in the sun, in the warm glow of the afternoon rays. She loved the day, she loved the land, she loved all the trees and the roses, she admired every little petal, she adored even the smallest blade of grass.

And there, he saw her.

Vitor was not allowed to see her before her coronation - no one was. Such an event would distract her from her only and real goal - to rule the water and the people who obeyed her.

But still, he saw her. An accidental whim of fate - he had fallen asleep in the shade of a tall weeping willow in the yard, and he had to finish the bushes by the evening, because, after all, it was time for her coronation.

He saw her. She was like a ghost, a vision, a hallucination, even a dream come true. There was no song to properly praise her beauty, no words to describe her.

''Úm... Hello.'' Her voice, a song of a thousand sirens... He was so mesmerized by her entire being that he didn't notice for how long he was staring at her. Long enough for him to blush, that is.

''I'm... I'm sorry, Your Highness.'' He kneeled before her, his forehead resting on the ground.

''Oh, no, please get up!'' a tingly chuckle snuggled in between her words. If he didn't knоw better, he would think that she was an angel. ''You don't need to do that, please! Everyone does that... I'm tired of it.''

The boy looked up timidly, only to meet a gentle, sparkling white hand in front of him. Naturally, he reached to grab her, so he could get up, but then... She looked so gentle. And her fingers were so... Brittle. He was afraid that the second he touches her, she will dissolve into thin air.

''A.. Apologies, Your Highness. I've... Well, forgive me for being blunt, but I've... I've... Only heard legends about you...'' He rested his dirty, rough hands on his stained pants and stood up, trying to keep his bow low and not fall at the same time. No one would believe him. He himself was not very sure that the situation was real.

''Well, as you may see, I'm as real as the sun!'' And again the divine giggle ... Vitor did not know a more beautiful, purer sound. And if he now dared to look up from the tips of his shoes, he would meet a dazzling smile. A smile that gathered the power of a thousand suns. ''Are you the one tending the garden?''

''Well, yes... And no. As you may see...'' Nervous laughter escaped his lips. The sun-kissed hands rested on the back of his neck, and his fingers played with a few curly, dark locks. ''My father, he... He works in the stables. His friend is working in the garden, and I'm... I’m just taking care of the roses, actually.''

''Really?'' She didn't believe that her eyes could become more beautiful, but suddenly a spark appeared in them... And suddenly, her whole face lit up. ''I... I love the roses so much! I've never seen something so beautiful... I even... Okay, promise not to laugh! And don't tell anyone, please!'' So, suddenly, the porcelain fingers were wrapped around his wrists, her eyes staring at him, begging.

''But... Of course! I'll... I'm loyal to the Crown! I would never ever even dare to think about breaking your trust.'' At first, he was startled, but with each word, his voice became soother, and his heart filled with joy as he saw how her smile was growing wider and wider.

''Okay. I'll tell you.'' She nodded eagerly and sat on the ground quite unceremoniously. So many new feelings were boiling in her! For example, this was the first time she was speaking so freely to a human being! And absolute first time for her to sit on the ground! ''So, one time... I stole a rose bush. I kept it in my room, but... I believe that I didn't water it correctly, and I'm assuming that it needs sunlight, and my room is underwater and... It didn't last long... But it was so beautiful!''

''I can teach you!'' Seated in front of her, he excitedly spread his arms. Vitor was not exactly good at talking at other people at all, let alone royalties, but with roses? He was a genius. ''Do you want me to teach you how to grow your own rose bush? We can plant it right here, in the garden! I know a secret place.''

''Really? You would do that for me?'' She rose her eyes towards him, his skin covered in freckles. No one ever did anything for her... Per demand - of course, because her father said so - sure, but never... Never just like that.

''Of course! I love roses!''

***

And so, their friendship began. The older Annette grew, the harder it was for them to meet - her father was constantly sending her to different lessons or Council Meetings, dances, and the dinners, oh, the endless dinners... And the constant, constant training. Yes, sure, she managed to beat her siblings, but that didn't mean that she was the best - only meant that she was better than them. To be the best... It meant that she had to train, constantly.

But... On every full moon, her father had to go to the Great River so he could maintain the rides correctly - one fraction of a mistake, one tiny little bit drop going in the wrong direction and everything could go very, very wrong for the Water Kingdom.

And on these nights, Anette was free. Eventually, they would end as well - thankfully, at least for now, her father didn't believe that she was ready yet to accompany him. So on these nights, Vitor waited for her - right next to the secret rose bush, once small and now the biggest in the garden, and they would go deep in the garden, and they would play... Hide and seek.

A special kind of hide and seek. Their kind of hide and seek. Where Anette was creating water figurines almost out of thin air, and Vitor was going around, chasing them. Or somethings fighting with them. Or even dancing with them. All night, until the sun rose and they fell on the wet grass, she - trembling with her power running through her fingertips and he, covered in small drops of water.

Each month, for the past three years. Yes, they were old now and this was extremely childish, but... Anette never had a childhood on her own. And Vitor... To this day, her giggling, her laughter, her voice was the most magical sound he ever heard. He couldn't live without it.

Alas, evil eyes followed the princess. Little did she knew that her father's advisor was secretly watching her, month after month? After all, without her on the throne and with her father dead, he would be the only one left who could rule... And he would finally end that magic nonsense. The people of the Kingdom would finally know peace.

So he watched. Patiently. Silently. And with each passing night, Anette and Vitor became more and more careless. It was only a matter of time before the heiress gives him the opportunity.

Their game got too long. The sun came up and they were still messing around the garden. Just the perfect opportunity - for the advisor to get her father and show him how his only daughter was wasting her powers and her potential on some disgusting human being.

And was her father furious… He locked Anette in the tallest tower, without windows, without light, only a small crack in the cold, stone wall to let her breathe. 

And Vitor… Vitor was thrown in the darkest, deepest dungeon, built under the sea, only with a small tube, reaching above waters, to deliver oxygen. 

The King was too old to create a new heirloom - and he knew that. The decision for Vitor was easy - he was going to be kept until his final breath and until his body dissolved in the dust, until there was so little left of him that he couldn’t even feed the fishes. 

But Anette… Anette was important. And she had to be fixed. Set straight. And who better to do that than the King’s Advisor? 

*** 

‘’Princes?’’ he quietly entered her cell. He was expecting her to sleep, but instead, she slid to his feet, wetting the edges of his robe with bitter tears. 

‘’Oh, Bruno! Tell me that he is fine, please!’’ Her voice, once beautiful and calm, was now filled with what felt like all the pain in the whole wide world. ‘’Tell father that I’ll do anything, just spare him! I’m begging you!’’ 

‘’Hush, child. Don’t cry.’’ Bruno kneeled in front of her, taking her trembling hands in his own, kindly placing his lips on the small, delicate knuckles. ‘’I’m here to help. I found a way for you to be together.’’ 

‘’Together?’’ Her cries stopped, getting stuck in her chest, and her face was turning...Suprised. Even shocked. ‘’Together with Vitor?’’ 

‘’Yes. Together with Vitor.’’ Bruno smiled and gently wrapped his hand around her cheek, slowly caressing the cheekbone with his fingertip. ‘’It’s Old Magic. But your father is furious… And it’s the only way.’’ 

‘’Anything! I promise you, I’ll do anything!’’ 

“Then… So be it.”

*** 

Three days later, Bruno came back - in the latest hour of the night and alone. He came with a carriage - one that he was driving by himself, and inside… Vitor was waiting for her. Anette fell into his arms without thinking twice, tears streaming down her face. Her heart missed a beat with each kiss that she fell on her face from his cracked, dry lips. But at least, he was alive. And soon… They would be together until the end of time. 

Bruno led them to the seashore. Deep from his pockets, he took a necklace and a bracelet, both made with the Old Magic. The necklace - from seawater, moonlight, and sapphires, and the bracelet - morning dew, sunshine collected from late summer afternoon, and flower petals. 

‘’Anette. Vitor.’’ They hugged tightly, Vitor burying his fingers in her silk hair, and Annette taking a deep breath of his intoxicating scent. But when they heard his voice, they turned to Bruno, hand in hand. ‘’Anette, the necklace is for you. It will turn you into the sea. And Vitor… You will be the sand on the shore. Each evening Anette will come to you, she will gently cover you, she will be the fresh breath you’ll need after the hot day. And Anette, each evening, when you come to Vitor, you will feel the warmth he collected through the whole day, all for you. And you will be together until the end of time.’’ 

He took a slow step towards them, then another one. 

‘’Are you ready?’’ Anette looked at Vitor, into his beautiful, sun-kissed eyes… She was expecting to see regret, anger, even sadness… But the only thing that met her was love. 

‘’I love you. I will gladly spend the eternity together with you.’’ 

‘’Then so be it.’’ She took the necklace and put it around her neck, while Bruno gave Vitor the bracelet. And with her last breath, just before her body dissolved into million drops and he became a thousand and thousand grains of sand, she pressed her lips to his. ‘’I love you, Vitor.’’

March 05, 2021 22:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.