0 comments

Fiction Sad Thriller

The office of Dr. Bradley Sinclair was an oasis of calm and tranquility, the epitome of a well-kept medical practice. A gentle stream of pleasant muzak emanated softly from the overhead speakers, filling the room with an inviting ambiance that was both soothing and professional. The environment was meticulously designed to put patients and staff alike at ease, with muted lighting and tastefully appointed decor contributing to an overall sense of comfort and wellbeing.

Dr. Bradley Sinclair, a well-respected physician with a distinguished career, was quietly reviewing patient files at his mahogany desk, occasionally pausing to make notes in the margins. The air was tinged with the faint aroma of freshly brewed coffee mingled with the clean scent of antiseptic, creating an olfactory backdrop that was strangely comforting to those familiar with the medical field. As he worked, the doctor's mind was a fortress of concentration, every piece of data scrutinized with the precision only a seasoned professional could muster.

The tranquility was abruptly disturbed by the unexpected entrance of Jim, one of the clinic's diligent medical assistants. He burst into the room without the courtesy of a knock, his excitement palpable and almost invasive in the serene atmosphere. His eyes were wide with astonishment, and he was holding a file so tightly that his knuckles were white.

"Doctor Bradley! This is amazing. We've found results that are truly groundbreaking," Jim exclaimed, his breath coming in short bursts. "It's about multiple blood donations given by one donor. His name is Stephen."

Jim thrust the file towards Dr. Bradley, who took it with an air of tempered curiosity. The interruption was unorthodox, but the urgency in Jim's voice signaled that this was no ordinary update. As the doctor leafed through the pages, his eyes grew wider with each line he read. The data was nothing short of miraculous.

"Jim, can you please call this officer into the office immediately?" Dr. Bradley asked, his voice calm yet charged with newfound energy. The significance of what he was discovering demanded prompt action.

Already anticipating the request, Jim responded with a knowing smile, "Already did, Doctor."

True to Jim's word, Officer Stephen Harrington arrived shortly after, guided to Dr. Bradley's office by Jim himself. The officer's demeanor was a mix of curiosity and unease, his posture stiff as he took the proffered seat. Being summoned to a doctor's office so suddenly and with such urgency was enough to unsettle anyone, and the unknowns of the situation weighed heavily on his mind.

Dr. Bradley entered the office with an air of composed authority, followed closely by Jim. Walking up to where Officer Stephen sat, he extended his hand in greeting, his demeanor both professional and inviting. "Officer Stephen, it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Dr. Bradley Sinclair," he said, pulling a chair to sit directly across from the uniformed officer.

Once settled, Dr. Bradley began to speak, his tone reverent with a hint of disbelief. "Officer Stephen, something extraordinary has come to our attention, and it involves you. You are a blood donor, correct? You've given blood on numerous occasions, which is an act of incredible kindness. But something truly remarkable has been happening with the blood you’ve donated."

Officer Stephen's brow furrowed as he tried to process what was being said. "Go on, Doctor," he urged.

Dr. Bradley continued, his eyes locking onto Stephen's. "Your blood has been used in various medical cases, and the results have been nothing short of miraculous. Allow me to show you some examples."

He opened the first case file and handed it to Stephen. "This is the case of a little girl who required blood during her cancer surgery. The surgery was a success, and not only did she recover, but follow-up tests showed no trace of cancer. She was completely cured."

Stephen's eyes widened with disbelief as he handed the file back to the doctor.

"Another case," Dr. Bradley said, opening a second file, "involved a man who was in a devastating car accident. He sustained severe injuries and had third-degree burns covering 90% of his body. He was given your blood, and the next day, all his wounds had healed, including the burns."

Stephen was speechless, his mind struggling to grasp the enormity of what he was hearing.

Dr. Bradley opened yet another file. "There's also the case of a man who lost his hand in an industrial accident. His hand was reattached, and he was given a transfusion of your blood. Remarkably, he not only regained full control and functionality but the healing process was rapid beyond medical explanation."

The doctor's eyes met Stephen's once more. "There are over twelve more cases with similar outcomes. It appears that your blood possesses unique healing properties. This is beyond anything we've encountered before."

Stephen, still in shock, managed to find his voice. "I had no idea. Of course, I'll assist in whatever study you need to understand this better. What's the next step?"

Excitement sparkled in Dr. Bradley's eyes as he replied, "If you could come in tomorrow, we would like to start taking the maximum daily allowable amount of blood from you until we can figure this out. This is beyond extraordinary, Stephen. You're a valuable man."

Just as Dr. Bradley finished speaking, the crackle of a police radio interrupted the moment. "Stephen, 10-43, please respond," the voice commanded.

Stephen, still digesting the monumental news he'd just received, instinctively reached for his radio. "On my way," he responded, rising from his chair. "I'll be back tomorrow, Doc. I promise."

Dr. Bradley nodded, his expression earnest. "Please be careful out there, Officer Stephen. You're quite literally a cure for everything."

Nodding in return, Stephen exited the office, his mind in a whirl of thoughts. Preoccupied as he was with the astonishing news, he was barely aware of his surroundings. His focus was solely on the mystery that lay within him, the newfound purpose that had just been thrust upon his life.

In his distracted state, Stephen failed to notice the car that had slipped out of gear in the parking lot. The vehicle rolled unimpeded towards him and his police cruiser. The impact was sudden and brutal, killing him instantly.

The tranquility of Dr. Bradley’s office, the breakthroughs revealed, and the hope kindled by Stephen's unique blood came crashing down in that tragic moment. The world had briefly glimpsed a miracle but it was snatched away abruptly, leaving behind a void filled with questions and unfulfilled potential.

As the emergency services arrived, the irony and cruelty of the situation sank in deeply. The man whose blood could heal others had not been spared by fate. The doctor watched from his office window, the weight of the loss pressing down on him. What they had just begun to uncover was lost in an instant, reminding him of the fragility of life and the unpredictable nature of destiny.

September 11, 2024 16:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.