2 comments

Fiction Teens & Young Adult Happy

"Carla!" Clay burst into my room, and jumped up and down my bed, until I finally woke up. He dangled a blindfold over my face, insisting that I put it on. I hadn't changed my clothes since I fell asleep in them, after working late the night before.


My little brother grabbed my hand and pulled me out of bed. I stumbled down the hall, still half asleep.


“What in the world?” I thought. A chorus of familiar voices sang out.

"Surprise!”


Clay removed the blindfold. I opened my eyes, as my family sang "Happy Birthday." I should have known they would pull a stunt like this. After we had agreed to celebrate later, during Christmas break, due to my insane job schedule.


“I told you. You didn’t have to do this! We agreed on that!” Suddenly I was sorry I had ever complained about having a December birthday. That your own family forgets, every year, because they’re too busy preparing for the holidays. And all your Christmas gifts count as birthday presents combined!


Now I realized how much easier it would be to wait. The one year I would have preferred it. My sleep was more valuable! 


"Please don’t be mad, Carla. We chipped in and bought everything you need to start school next year," said Megan, holding up a homemade card and a cake with nineteen candles.


I knew they meant well. But all I could think of was desperately wanting to go back to bed.


That was my only wish. Please! I blew out the candles, as my family clapped and cheered.


I had worked long hours all week long, and counted on sleeping late my one day off. Before working another long week.


The colorful birthday card held a slip of paper, which Clay read aloud:


"To find surprises coming forth,

Look inside the bedroom north."


"A treasure hunt? You know I’m bad at following directions!" I turned to my mother. "Are you kidding me? What did I do to deserve this?"


"Relax, Carla. We made it fun and easy," she assured me. "The clues go in order. Come on, let’s go!"


“Fun? What is fun about waking me up from hibernation?” Before I could protest any further, my entourage escorted me down the hallway.


We went straight toward Clay's room first. Taped to his mirror was a gas card, for my delivery job, along with another clue:


"Mother always knows what's best.

Supplies for you await due west."


Okay, I got it, I thought to myself. I saw where this was going!


Next, I opened the door to my parent’s master bedroom. "Mom!" On top of the bed was a huge basket of shampoo, lotions, and soap, even for the laundry and car. "Am I that dirty?"


I wanted to be a good sport. But was not in the mood for even family-friendly humor.


I read the note with the next clue, scrawled in my father’s best handwriting, which was the worst:


"Dad's gift to you is hanging south

For help to feed your hungry mouth."


In the hall closet I found my father’s old college jacket. I reached into the pocket to find a restaurant gift card neatly signed:


"Your little Sis is last, not least.

Another clue is hiding east."


Marching me into her bedroom, Megan proudly presented a bulletin board that she had custom-decorated for my dorm room. Red and white ribbons adorned my school photographs. And a college pennant cheered on the team in bold block letters “Go Mustangs!” with a mascot keychain pinned to the corkboard. A small clue that I totally missed.


I recognized my sister’s handwriting on the cute pink card underneath the birthday bow:


"A gift to keep you right on track

Is stored around the side in back."


"Not the garage! Dad’s man cave? Please no!" I groaned, "With his tools and junk all over the place, I'll never find anything hidden in there. Except an accident waiting to happen!"


"Don’t worry,” Megan laughed, “Your two favorite little elves helped clean it all out." She and Clay exchanged winks. They dragged me, reluctantly, to the back door leading to the garage.

I didn’t know what to think, but followed along blindly.


"What a surprise!" Instead of walking into a safety hazard zone, I was shocked to find the garage completely empty, for the first time I could remember. The floor was completely swept clean. All I found was a bright red gift box on the ground. Inside the package was a new GPS.


"That’s it. This is the final clue.

There’s one more gift outside for you."


"We traded in your old model for a newer one," said my dad. He walked over and opened the garage door. “And over here is the real reason we cleaned out the entire garage.”


Outside on the driveway was the red Honda I'd been saving for, struggling for months to make the down payment. I couldn’t believe my eyes, welled up with tears.


"Everyone pitched in," he continued. "So you can use that money for school that you’ve saved up all year."


My reaction came out as a muffled whelp.   


"Thank you! It’s just what I wanted.” I cried. “But I don't deserve this!"


"Yes, you do," said Mom, hugging me. "You worked very hard.” My dad, sister and brother joined in the group hug, smothering me, as I wept for joy. “Happy Birthday, Carla!"


I couldn’t thank them enough. They knew I was overwhelmed, and it didn’t matter that I was at a loss for words.


Never again could I complain again about anyone forgetting my birthday. No Christmas or birthday present could even compare to the gift I got that year. 


I still don’t like surprises. I’m still horrible with directions. But when I look back at what my family did for me, I am forever humbled. I will always remember the feeling of gratitude. Fearing at first that I was in no way deserving, but truly realizing that love matters more than anything else.


And relief that their big surprise wasn’t something I would regret losing sleep over. But would cherish the rest of my life.

November 25, 2022 21:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Helen A Smith
08:38 Nov 29, 2022

It was great the way Carla’s day just keeps improving when all she wants to have is a well-deserved lie-in. I liked the way you built up this warm family story. It made me want to be part of it. A real feel good read, Emily.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wendy Kaminski
06:48 Nov 27, 2022

Truly heartwarming and a fun concept!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.