0 comments

General

I step out of the shower, wiping the fog off the mirror. I stare at the jet black hair clinging to my face, instead of my normal strawberry blonde hair. I smooth it back, wrapping a towel around myself. I glare at the unknown reflection staring back at me.

The dark gel that covers my light brown almost blonde eyebrows is smeared, I take a makeup wipe, sliding it over. The gel comes off with ease.  I throw it in the trash and quickly got dressed and reapplying a face of makeup.

I walk out heading towards the smell of bacon. I see my father over the stove, his naturally blonde hair is dyed dark brown,his usual thick full beard is replaced with a smooth shave. I walked over to the table and pulled out a chair. I sit and pour myself a glass of juice. "Morning beaut" my dad says, he turns around with a pan in his hand sliding eggs and bacon on to both our plates. He puts the pan in the sink and sits down across from me. He digs into his food while I stare blankly at mine.

He takes a long drink then looks at me. "Honey you need to eat" I look up at him like he just told me to breath underwater. His eyes soften, in a small smooth voice he says "Please, for me?"  I lightly nod and place the eggs in my mouth, he has no clue that i hate eggs, but mom did...

...

The bells rings as soon as i enter the class room. I blow out a breath of relief and take my seat in the back. Thirty minutes later my y english teacher jabs on about her life's story. I roll my eyes in boredom and pull out my journal,I flip through the newspaper clippings that i've glued in.

Family killer strikes again

Family of three reported missing, is said to have been the known Family killer who takes families, forcing them to pretend to be his own.

Shanon Duncan pronounced dead on scene, daughter and father Missy and James Duncan rushed to ER

Mark McArbur aka Family killer escaped

Mark McArbur strikes again

I look at the clippings of the girls that look like me, the ones he hurt.

Two months ago the famous serial killer Mark McArbur kidnapped me and my parents , he kept us in his basement for weeks. He made us pretend to be his family. He acted like he was my brother. When we didn't do what he asked he hurt us. Especially my mom,he hated her even when she did what he said.

The police found us after a month of tourcher, but it was too late my mom was already gone.

My dad and I came home after a week in the hospital. We were trying to pick up all the broken pieces when we heard he escaped. We were thrown into witness protection immediately.

We heard he tried to find us, that's when the girls who look like me began to pop us, with my name carved into their stomachs. I grimaced and shut the book stuffing it back into my bag.

...

The final bell rings signalling school over. I keep my head down as i walk to my car. I do my back seat check and hop in. I text my dad letting him know I'm heading to self defense training.

...

Three hours later i'm exhausted.  My instructor comes over to me. "I can tell this class means something to you, keep up the good work" Be squeezes my shoulder giving me a smile as he heads over to his next class.  I go to my locker and change out, I lift my shirt seeing all the scars I hide underneath, the ones he gave me. I quickly change, stuffing my clothes in my duffle and head out.

I make it "home" round 7:30, as I walk up the stairs an uneasy feeling creeps in way through my body. I try to shake it off and unlock the door. "Dad I'm home" I yell. Silence follows...

I walk into the living room, "Dad?" I call. I step around the corner, seeing him on the floor in a pool of blood surrounding him. I choke out a sob and run towards him. I check his pulse, there was nothing. "NO, NO, NO!" I yell crying. "Not you too, PLease!" I sob

"Tsk, Tsk,Tsk" I hear someone say.  I look up blinking away the blurry vision. Mark is leaning against the door frame a bloody knife in his hand. I stand up anger and sadness flowing through me. "Why can't you just leave us alone?!"

He looks at me in anger in his eyes. "You're the one who left me! so all of this" he says pointing to my dad "Is YOUR fault" he yells. "You killed my mother, you kidnapped us! why would I EVER want to be around you!"

He let out a low growl and lunged at me. I take a step back lifting up my right leg, twisting it to the left sending all my power into my foot, landing a hard blow on his stomach. He drops the knife as he hits his knees. I take my knee and shove it into his face.

I turn to run when he grabs my leg, yanking me down, he climbs on me, pressing his knees into my thighs pinning my hands down. Blood drips from his nose, a crazed look fills his eyes. He leans down to my ear, "You're next little sister" At that point I couldn't care, I wanted to be with my parents I wanted to die. Then I thought of how hard they tried to keep me alive and how i needed to avenge them.

I look him in the eyes, all the emotions I've felt and hidden from everyone for weeks come out. I see fear flash through his eyes, but just for a second. "No you are, big brother" I said lacing my voice with confidence and mockery. I head butt him and kick him off me.

I scoot away until I feel the cold wet knife in my hands. He smirks and crawls towards me, as soon as he gets within distance i take the knife and lodge it into his stomach

October 03, 2019 17:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.