Guest Saved the Party

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Set your story at a party that has gone horribly wrong.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Inspirational American

A more gorgeous Summer evening one couldn’t have wished for. My roommate, Zoe, and I were enjoying a neighborhood walk, oohing and aahing at the brightness of the stars that filled the sky and the almost full bright moon. We were far from being alone. Bicycles, skateboards, runners, strollers all vied for their section of the sidewalk path. Waves and greetings were exchanged among strangers. 

Opened windows filled the air with inviting aromas of seemingly culinary expertise - seafood to Italian to Oriental and Indian. Outdoor diners had the luxury of musical entertainment. From backyard boomboxes to front yard musicians playing guitar, trumpet, keyboard or drums, live music filled the air. Moving on a bit further, recorded music bellowed for quite a distance. Luckily for us, it was the likes of Simon and Garfunkel or Beach Boys. 

Zoe was dancing on the sidewalk to the music bouncing off the corner house. A group walking past us mentioned that it was an invite-your-friends-party. “Foods from nearby restaurants, lots of booze and live music. Come join us!” They walked right in the front door. Men and women of all ages and dress styles could be seen from the windows. 

“Let’s check it out,” Zoe urged. “We sure could use some fun.”

My discomfort with the unknown, and even more at someone’s word-of-mouth, prevented my being as eager. “You can go, if you’d like. I’ll return home. There’s no way that I will go into a party uninvited!”

Grabbing a hold of my arm, Zoe suggested. “What if we go in for a half-hour? We’ll meet the host, introduce ourselves, and go from there. If then you still feel uncomfortable, I promise that I will leave with you.” Well, how could I not agree to that. She knew how to cover all of the elements of my fears.

I had to admit that everything about the place was inviting. The flowers in the front yard, professionally-trimmed grass, with no litter anywhere, we climbed the front steps. An older gentleman saw our approach and opened the door with a “Come on in and join us.” Well, that certainly wasn’t expected. 

Zoe asked the gentleman to point out the host. “He’s right there, handing out hors d’oeuvres.” Thanking him, we waited until the host approached us. 

“Good evening, and welcome to my home. I don’t believe that we have met.” The tray he was holding was gently put in front of us begging us to take one. “I’m Henry and new to this city. I thought this would be a perfect means of meeting the neighbours.”  

I found my voice saying, “Thank you, Henry. This is mighty nice of you. May I ask from where you came?”

“I’m from the Atlanta, Georgia area. Parties like this are fairly common there. I gather from the reactions of my guests that it is not so here. People are a bit timid and uncomfortable at first. They seem, however, to be mingling and enjoying themselves now. I hope that you feel the same.”

Zoe interjected, “I’m Zoe, and this is my roommate, Marie. We live a couple blocks away and were passing by when someone urged us to stop in,, You’re correct in that is a bit strange for us. However, I feel very comfortable and welcomed. Thank you so much. May we help in any way?”

“If you would like to pass around another tray, it would be a means of meeting more guests. Please don’t feel obligated to do anything. I simply want you to enjoy this Summer’s evening with others.” With a nod to excuse himself, Henry moved on to the next group of people, 

Serving people wasn’t Zoe’s style. I felt better about approaching others, if I were doing something. I took a try of warm hors doeurves and began strolling through the room. Within seconds, hands were reaching for a snack and introductions were made. Three of the individuals, it turned out, lived across the street rom us, but we’d never met. Come to think of it, we’d never seen them. This was turning interesting. 

Someone captured Zoe’s ear and she was engaged in what looked to be a fairly engaging conversation. I continued mingling with my tray of goodies. It certainly was the simple way to meet the guests.

Before long, my tray was in need of being refilled. The aromas led me to the kitchen. And, what a kitchen it was! Huge, like a commercial one with pots and pans hanging from the ceiling, a couple of sinks, a walk-in freezer, two refrigerators, and stacks and stacks of plates, mugs, etc. Actually, I’d never seen anything like it. 

“I’ll take that tray from you.” A young woman with braided blond hair reached for it. “Would you like another one?”

Thinking to myself, Why not? “Sure. Thank you. I’m Marie. May I ask your name?”

“Oh, sorry. How impolite of me. I’m Sarah. My father is Henry.”

Taking the tray she was offering, “I’m pleased to meet you Sarah. It’s a delight to see so many young people here. Actually, people of all ages, mixing and sharing. How wonderful!” She nodded and went on to the next person. I thought that to be a bit strange, but since I didn’t know Sarah, I didn’t know what I should expect.

As I turned to leave, a burnt odor filled my nostrils. Why are there no chef or cooks in the kitchen? Thinking that I shouldn’t leave until someone arrived, the hunt began for what was burning. Eight burners all had giant kettles on them. I checked each one. The stove’s nobs were all turned to simmer. A quick peek in each and a stir with the respective spoon for each, indicated that all was in order. Hmm. What is burning?

The odor was making me choke. Soon black smoke was lifting up from behind one of the stoves. There was no way that I could move the stove, but I crawled under it. There was the culprit. The electric wire was burning. Just then flames began to shoot out. Remembering that I’d seen a largest box imaginable of baking soda, I crawled back out and grabbed it, tossing a handful onto the flames. 

“What’s going on in here?” Henry saw me on the floor. 

“There’s an electric fire in the stove’s cord. We must turn off the electricity! I put baking soda on the flames.” Henry ran out, and returned in a few seconds. 

“Luckily, there is a separate circuit for the kitchen, so the rest of the house is fine,” Henry said somewhat relieved. “Are you ok?”

By this point, I was standing and coughing. “Yes. I’m fine. I just need some fresh air. Thank you.”

Please open the windows and I’ll ask if there I an electrician in the house.” Off he went. Within seconds, men and women in white aprons and hats came hurrying in to see what was happening. I got some strange looks as they entered, and one asked, “What are you doing in here?” 

“Oh, just putting out the electric cord fire that I found. Henry’s looking to see if there is an electrician in the house.”

A few gave me suspicious looks and grunted. They muttered about not being pleased that the electricity was off. With hands on hips, one man shouted, “And, why is it off?!”

“Well, sir, you can’t have electricity on with a cord that is shooting sparks and burning! Anybody should know that!”

By this time, Henry returned with an electrician, who looked the situation over. He asked me a few questions about what made me check under the stove. After telling my story, he looked at Henry. “Henry, this young lady just saved your house from burning down or in the very least, from having major kitchen damage.”

Perfect timing. In walked Zoe as Henry gave me a grateful hug. “Marie, what can I say? Thank you is so inadequate. You were meant to be here this evening. There’s no doubt about that. If you are interested, I would be honoured to invite you to be my partner in my restaurant business. You’re the type of person that makes the business a success. You have a quick-thinking, intelligent and curiosity that works for me. Will you be my business partner?”

A bit overwhelmed and speechless at first, “Henry, may I please give this some serious thought and then I will most likely have some questions to ask before making a final decision. This almost seems like a dream, so I must process the whole event and let my insides settle down.”

“Take your time. I’m hoping for a ‘yes’ from you.

May 08, 2021 20:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.