Sticky fingers

Submitted into Contest #18 in response to: Write a story about a very skilled pickpocket. ... view prompt

0 comments

General

"Like this." My older sister had hung up her rag of a jacket on the fence in the ally way as she showed me the best way to pick pocket someone in the busier crowds we have been having. "You are tiny so when you reach in they won't feel it but what do we do when we see a nice looking women?" I sat on a box one leg resting on the other however when I answered I jumped and in a quiet shout I pull out my knife,

"Slice the bag in the bottom." She smiles and takes the torn cloth off the wooden poll and forced it on.

"Smart young lady now lets go get something to eat." She looks at the opposite end of the ally the sun was just starting to rise as did the sound of clicks from then men's horse as their hooves announced another dreadful day. They however were happy and drunk so early in the day. We lift our hood fixed our trousers and made our way to the food court.

"There you two are haven't seen ya' in days wer's my cut?" Adeline was the name this man loving women whose taught my sister Scarlet everything she needed to know when our mother up and ran away as soon as the beheadings started. She had left us but we will survive thanks to this eccentric lady. Scarlet happily gave her the bread jam and cheese we napped on the way over here along with some fine jewelry. She whistles, " I knew from the day I saw you born I knew you was a great keep thanks gals with the sales I make to night we'll go out and get something warm, how's dat sound." We both nod with glee we haven't had anything warm since the sun started to set early. "Now's move along my regulars will be here and ya'lls pretty is distracting, as I said you's don't need this type of job." nodding one last time we see ourselves away from her window and continue for a meal of our own.

"Alright Mable you see there that the easiest picking of bread you get that while I go get the jam now hurry." She gives me a small pat on the back, I eye the bread then the surrounds deciding on a side swipe while the older gentlemen had his back turn I could sneak the bread on the bottom basket, 'don't be greedy and just get one bread.' I remind myself as I start to do a block walk around the stall on the third round I make my move when move people are looking and buying I get closer and without even a single glance or sound my way I took a long piece of bread and walked eating it as if I was a normal French child that had money to buy it. I picked at the top and as I round my second corner I sprint to our meeting place. As I got closer I could see it two shiny coins shining in the sun that had a hard time peeking through. I go and take them see a crowd gather at the end of the street to my right. I go to check it out getting a chance to practice my skills. I got one mans cash and he didn't even noticed on into the crowd some more I spot a older women with a pick silk bag open to the world with all types of goods hanging around so I do a bee line and get to her taking half I continue with my curiosity. Finally seeing what other were looking at it was a poster for another beheading to begin at sundown tonight.

"There you are Mable where were you?" Scarlet hands were at her hips for a eleven year old she was intimating to me who was at the time seven.

"Sorry there was gathering I had to check it out. There was no excitement," I pause as I hand her the bread and then reached into my pockets and start to yank all the things I got from that dimwitted crowd. "But look what I got!" Her eyes widens,

"How did you get all of this you've only just started learning a week ago." I shrug,

"Can we get you a really nice coat now? Please sis?" I ask taking her hand giving her sad puppy eyes.

Ten years later

"My goodness suga' you two didn't need to stop by I told you I am alright no need to look after me no more."

"Adeline, your like a big sister to us of course we are going to take care of you." Scarlet hands her some food than a new blanket to cover her. Winter was coming on strong this year and since we left France we have had better opportunities and I have been called the new sticky fingers London has seen but man they haven't seen anything yet I am just getting start.

December 05, 2019 15:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.