0 comments

American

Gage Williamson was sitting on his bed in a small wooden room. It had only little lighting coming from the far most window. He sat wearing a black suit with a black tie, tears dripped from his eyes, wondering how his life could have such a tragedy, no matter how small it was compared to other people. 

He remembered how he had been on the sidewalk across from the local pub. A whiskey bottle was in his hand half drunken, And he felt as sick as a dog. He barely remembered hearing from his best friend's parents, how Marcus was dead. The last time he had seen him was right before he was murdered. He had gone inside the grocery store to check out some materials for a homemade pizza for one of his DnD campaigns. He remembered talking with him at the deli to see if he had any pepperoni, and then going to the pub for DnD. 

He owned the place, making it very easy to get together with his friends. After the campaign, they all had one too many that night and Gage ended up outside. Now he had just come back from the funeral, it was a terrible and gut wrenching thing for Gage and Marcus's family. He had heard something rather interesting from the newspaper the next morning, about how the bullet that killed Marcus matched that of a derringer pistol. He had thought that it would be best if he simply remained here forever and never came out of his little hole.

Something glinted in the corner of his eye near the window, he walked over to a loose floorboard underneath the torn wallpaper on the wall to the right of his bead. He picked up the floor board and moved it to the side. Inside was a shoe box, and a loaded derringer pistol. Gage leaped back screaming at the sight. Dried blood splatter covered the pistol, and it had several small bullets scattered around it.

Gage immediately got back on his feet reassuringly he thought to himself,

¨This must belong to the killer, he must have tried to frame me, as long as I go into the police station now, I can tell them what this is doing here, yes, what a good idea¨. 

Gage picked up the gun slowly, and put it in a plastic bag. He then proceeded to get in his car, and drive to the nearest police station. On the way he saw several police cars blare their sirens as they raced to the opposite direction of Gage.

Finally after much panic on the way, he stopped and parked at the local police station that had been investigating Marcus's case. He walked inside the building, hearing an oddly familiar ring as the doorbell swung. When he walked in, there was a police officer looking down at his phone on the service desk. Gage walked up to the police officer.

¨Sir, I am here to talk about the case of Marcus Fletcher.¨ 

The police officer looked up from his phone and gazed at Gage for a couple seconds, he then opened his eyes wider in shock, and yelled

¨GET ON THE FLOOR NOW! PUT YOUR HANDS UP INTO THE AIR!¨

¨What did I do? I am so sorry for whatever I did, please sir what is going on!?¨

The officer put handcuffs on Gage as he laid on the floor. He then began to prop him up and search him. The officer grabbed the gun from Gages left jacket pocket. He set it down on the counter and pinned Gage down with one knee. Other officers that had come in all began to talk on their radios for back up.

Several minutes later Gage was moved to a desk where he was chained up. In front of him sat two officers that seemed to be in his forties working on a laptop. The other was a young man around Gages age staring at him. The man spoke,

¨I am officer O'Connor, and this is officer Waller, we want to talk to you Gabriel about the gun you brought in today.¨ Gage stood up in his chair, panic blaring from his expression,

 ¨I brought it in, because I think someone is trying to frame me! I swear I have never done a terrible thing in my life, ask my neighbors, friends, family please!¨

¨STOP LYING!¨

¨I'm not I swear, please sir I swear!¨

Officer O'Connor rolled his eyes as he paced back and forth in front of Gage, Officer Waller spoke up through O´Connors mumbling. 

¨So you are saying that you did not shoot Marcus Fletcher?¨

¨Do you know who I am, I WAS HIS BEST FRIEND! And now you want to accuse me of killing him?¨

¨Look here sir and tell me what you see, OK?¨

The officer turned the computer showing Marcus checking out some items at the deli. A man with a black sweatshirt walked up to the desk in the footage, and pulled out a gun. Everyone in the Deli began to duck and run, but before Marcus could duck in time, a bullet was loosed into his shoulder. The man went behind the counter and the cameras switched to show Marcus staring at the man on the floor. 

The man walked up to Marcus and started to speak to him. Marcus then screamed as the gun was shoved in his mouth, and the trigger was pulled. After the man went to the register and stole the entire drawer. He ran with it out of the store, ran around the building and before he ran out into the woods, his head starred at one of the cameras, showing a bloody face that looked exactly like Gages.

¨That isn't me, that can´t, I know it looks like I did it, but I-¨

The officer immediately shut the Laptop, and backed away, officer O'Connor went to the back door with officer Waller, but before they went, ¨O'Connor quickly said, 

¨Thank you for your time.¨

Four months later… Carolina Williamson was sitting at her son's dining table, she was originally coming over to visit her son, and had decided to make herself comfortable by watching the news on his TV. She sat in horror as she sat watching a trial with her son in the seat for the accused. She started to walk to his bedroom, prompted to see if there really was any other possible evidence of this accusation against her son. The sweet Gage she had raised to be a wonderful boy, that never caused trouble for her.

When she opened the door, she found a removed floorboard on the ground, in the place where the floor board should have been, there was a box. She opened the small shoe box, and inside was several notes. She picked up the very top envelope and started to read the message.

Dear Gage, 

Unfortunately, I have been the only one to notice your problem, not to mention the only one to start to take care of this. I, Ethan Hunt, your other in our split thanks to your case of D.I.D. have murdered Marcus Fletcher. I  came to him in the deli of Seattle local  grocery store, looking specifically for a man that I knew named Marcus Fletcher, I shot him in the shoulder, and then through the mouth into the skull. I then stole one hundred and eighty two dollars and sixty four cents from the register. My reasoning was to scare the living daylights out of my twin Gage, so that when he goes into that courtroom, he will lose, and I will be shown to all other dangerous people wherever they lock people like us in. I will take out all who believe to be better than me at my job there, and become your worst nightmare.

Sincerely: Ethan Hunt.

September 30, 2020 14:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.