1 comment

Fantasy

Samantha bought a new clock from an antique shop recently and she had never gotten around to using it. She found it in the back of the closet and decided today would be the perfect time to use it. Today was the day to set your clocks ahead an hour for spring forward. Before bed she set her clock, and then she did her normal bedtime routine. She brushed her teeth, combed her hair, changed into her pajamas, and then she laid down for bed

When Samantha woke up the next morning something was off. She felt different. She got out of bed and walked in the bathroom to wash her face with some cool water. She looked up and screamed. She must’ve been about 15 years older than she was last night! She heard an unfamiliar voice yell from downstairs, “Honey, breakfast is ready!” It sounded like a man’s voice. ‘I don’t  have a boyfriend,’  she thought. She walked downstairs and to her surprise there was a really handsome man standing in her kitchen with breakfast hot and fresh on the table. He kissed her and said in a very sexily deep voice, “Good morning beautiful.” ‘Well I could get used to this,’ she thought.

He was a very handsome man. He was very fit, probably in about his late 20’s or early 30’s. He had black hair and beautiful grey eyes. “You act like you’ve never seen me before,” he said. She was staring. “Oh, I’m sorry. It’s just that I think you must have me confused for someone else. I don’t have a boyfriend, I’m only fifteen.” “Ha,” he scoffed. “Maybe you were, fifteen years ago when I met you! Honey you’ll be 30 next week. ‘Next week!’ She thought. She went into the bedroom and looked at the calendar and next Tuesday, her birthday, was circled and marked as ‘Samantha’s 30th.’

‘Oh no, this can’t be!’  She thought. ‘I have to figure out what’s going on.’ She retraced her steps from the night before, but nothing was out of the ordinary except for….the clock! She ran upstairs to the bedroom and grabbed the clock and she noticed it was glitching. She ran downstairs and out the door and drove to the antique shop where she had originally gotten the clock. To her surprise, the woman who sold her the clock was standing there, it seemed like she was expecting her. “The clock,” Samantha said, “That’s why I’m older today, isn’t it?” “By about fifteen years if I’m seeing you correctly!” the woman exclaimed. “But how?” Samantha asked. “All I did was set the time ahead an hour.” “Yes,” the woman said, “But the clock took you to where you needed to be.” ‘What the hell does that mean?’ Samantha thought. The woman looked at the clock and said in a really concerned tone, “By the look of that clock, you only have until tonight.” “For what?” “To figure out whether you’re going back to your younger years, or if you’re staying here in the present.” The woman disappeared. ‘That was weird.” Samantha thought.

When Samantha returned home she went upstairs to her room. She noticed a bag on the bed. When she opened the back there was an elegant black dress inside, along with some heels and a necklace. There was also a note, it read: I know you’ve been a little stressed out lately so I thought I’d surprise you with a present and an early birthday dinner. Meet me at the restaurant at 8. I love you. Love, Jesse. xoxo’  Jesse, that’s a cute name.’ Samantha thought. She smiled. On the back of the note he left the address for the restaurant. 8 is only a few hours away! She quickly went and got ready.

At 8, Samantha arrived at the restaurant and Jesse was already there. He had a private room for them with gorgeous lighting and flowers. They sat down and ordered their meals. Jesse had a rare steak with a side of mashed potatoes and green beans. Samantha had tuscan chicken topped with fresh mozzarella slices, basil, and tobasco sauce. It came with a side of mac and cheese. Before she could order dessert, Jesse said, “Samantha, before we order dessert there’s something I’d like to say.” She nodded. He got up out of his chair and said “Samantha, we’ve been together for almost seven years and we’ve been best friends for fifteen, and everyday with you has been a bigger blessing than the last. I love you more than anything in the world and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?” He pulled out a gorgeous silver band with a beautiful diamond in it. “Yes!” she exclaimed. She cried and kissed him.

When they got home from dinner she saw the clock on the nightstand and remembered what the lady at the antique store had said. “No, no, no!” she exclaimed. “What is it?” Jesse asked. She told him everything. He just giggled and said, “If this is fifteen years into your future, then even if you go back you’ll meet me and we’ll eventually be together.” “I guess you’re right,” she said. “Well whatever you decide, I love you and I can’t wait to be with you for the rest of my life.” He kissed her goodnight. She sat up for hours thinking about what she was going to do. She finally decided. As she went to bed she thought really long and hard about her decision. As she finally fell asleep she heard the clock strike midnight.

Samantha woke up and went to the bathroom to wash her face. She looked up at herself and she was fifteen again. It had worked! She went along with her usual routine for the day and decided to go to the antique store to return the clock. The woman at the antique store saw her and smiled. “I guess you decided to go back,” she said. “Yeah,” Samantha said. “It was great while it lasted, but all of that will happen eventually so I’ll just live my life for now and I’ll get there when I get there. I don’t think I’ll be needing this clock anymore though.” She handed it to the woman and the woman smiled. When Samantha left the store that day she bumped into a boy. “I’m so sorry, I wasn’t paying attention,” he said. “My name’s Jesse.” “Samantha,” she smiled.



March 31, 2020 23:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Ciaran O'Neill
16:59 Apr 09, 2020

Great work! Really enjoyed reading this, very quirky and funny. One pointer I would give you is to have more description; instead of saying she looks 15 years older, describe her face and show us. I think that would make it even better!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.