0 comments

Drama Suspense Thriller

“Ready?” Nathan asked his wife. Dawn nodded with a smile and the two walked to the car. Her small baby bump showed even in her thick winter coat. A light snow began to fall from the dark sky as he entered the car. 

“I’m excited to meet your family,” Dawn said, putting on her seatbelt.

“Oh really?” Nathan began to back out of the driveway and the reality of going back home hit him.

“Yeah, really. I think it’s odd I’ve only heard about them, but never met any. Well, except the time George showed up drunk on our doorstep.” Dawn laughed.

“Right,” Nathan joined. “Not sure how he found our address.”

Nathan’s mind drifted as they headed to the interstate. 

It had been three years since he’d seen his parents. Just two months before the wedding, Nathan had gotten the courage to invite them. His father, Henry, declined and his mother, Evelyn, went along like always. Henry didn’t support the marriage. He had wanted Nathan to marry a rich family's daughter, but Nathan had met Dawn while on a vacation in Boston, Massachusetts, where they now lived. 

“Have you told them about the baby?” Dawn asked, instinctively cupping her hand to her stomach. 

“No, not yet. I thought Christmas would be a good time to let them know. You know, in light of everything that’s happened,” Nathan said. 

In reality, he didn’t want to tell them. His family stopped being a part of his life when he turned seventeen. 

The real reason they were traveling to New York was because Nathan’s eldest brother, Benedict, had passed tragically. It hurt to think about, but the two hadn’t seen each other in over five years. Benedict had taken over the family business and gotten too busy for relationships. Nathan knew he was next in line to the Marrow throne, but he wasn’t eager to take it. 

“You think this is the best time to mention I’m pregnant?” Dawn asked and Nathan raised his brow. “Well, they haven’t met me before and suddenly I’m toting around their future grandchild. And there’s Benedict’s passing.”

“They’re different,” Nathan assured. “I’ll be surprised if you get a reaction out of my dad other than a grunt.”

Dawn laughed and slapped Nathan’s arm.

“No, seriously,” she said. “I’m nervous.” 

“Don’t be, they’re going to love you.” Nathan smiled and turned his attention back to the road. He glanced in his side mirror to hide his frown. He wasn’t sure how they would react.

Dawn was sleeping in the passenger seat when Nathan realized they were only fifteen minutes away. He put a hand on Dawn’s shoulder and shook lightly. She awoke with wide, blinking eyes. 

Hey,” she said, stretching. “Are we almost there?”

“Just about.” Nathan smiled, but then sighed. 

They turned onto the familiar street and his cold childhood crept into his mind. His fondest memory was a summer week when his father was on a work trip. He was thirteen and George seven. They spent that week as far from the house as they could. It was pure freedom. A few years after that, Nathan ran at only seventeen just months after meeting Dawn. He landed on his feet in Massachusetts and got a job at a grocery store working every hour he could. 

Nathan approached the house and pulled into the drive.

“Oh my god,” Dawn said with a gasp, gazing at the large mansion displayed before her. 

“Yeah, sorry. Did I forget to mention that?” Nathan asked. 

“I have so many questions.” admitted Dawn. 

“Understandable, but all I have is a few words. Long standing family business.” Nathan said. 

“Wow okay. So what do they do?” Dawn asked. She watched Nathan step out of the car and open her door. 

“Uh, something in banking.” Nathan said offhandedly. 

Nathan grabbed Dawn’s hand as they made their way to the front door.

Nathan knocked on the door quietly. “You know, we could just leave.”

Nathan.” Dawn said. 

“Okay, you’re right.” Nathan knocked louder on the door. Emotions flooded Nathan’s mind as the seconds passed and a part of him hoped no one would ever answer the door. Just as his hopes were rising the familiar old lock sounded. As it creaked open Nathan knew exactly who would be behind it.

“Oh,” his mother whispered. “Nathaniel.”

“Hi, mom.” He smiled at her sheepishly.

“I’m so happy you could make it. I had no idea,” she admitted. Nathan noticed she had aged. Her hands had liver spots and her once delicate fingers had grown pale and fragile.

“Yeah, I asked George to tell everyone.” Nathan shifted his feet. “May we come in?”

Evelyn glanced at Dawn and made an expression as though she hadn’t noticed her there. 

“Yes, of course. It’s cold,” she said, stepping out of the doorway. 

Nathan led Dawn into the entrance room and felt Dawn’s wonder as they walked. Approaching the dining room, light chatter met their ears. 

“Nathaniel decided to join us,” Evelyn announced, entering the room. 

Sitting at the large dark wood dining table was his whole family. The chair directly next to his father was empty. A slight sting found Nathan’s heart.

“Hello everyone,” Nathan tried to find a smile but was only met with blank expressions excluding George. “This is my wife, Dawn.”

Dawn gave a small wave and smiled brightly. Seeing that no one was going to introduce themselves, George stood from his seat. 

“Dawn, it’s always a pleasure to see you. Let me introduce everyone,” George started. Nathan’s eyes flicked to his father’s. He could see the disappointment in his face. 

“I see you’ve already met our beautiful mother, Evelyn. This is Mia, the youngest. That evil blonde right there,” George raised his glass to his sister who sneered. “...is Veronica. And this is our father, Henry. Not much to be said about that one.”

George chuckled at himself and plopped into his seat. Evelyn sat next to Henry and looked at Nathan expectedly. Nathan made his way to his father’s side. 

“Hi Nathaniel,” Mia said in a soft voice.

“Hey.” Nathan smiled. 

Nathan pulled a chair out for Dawn and he began to sit in the seat next to her. His father cleared his throat. 

“Nathaniel,” Henry began in a deep voice. “Take Benedict’s seat.”

Everyone seemed to be holding their breath. 

“Are you sure?” Nathan questioned and his father nodded slightly. Nathan walked to the other side of Dawn and sat in his older brother’s chair. It was always Benedict's spot.

Dawn glanced over the family with a smile, expecting someone to talk. 

“So, Dawn and I have some news,” Nathan began. 

“Why didn’t I get an invite to the wedding, Nathaniel?” Veronica asked as she poured a glass of wine.

“Well, I didn’t think you would be interested. The last time we spoke you told me to drop dead,” Nathan explained. 

“That was like seven years ago,” she said wryly. “Water under the bridge.”

“We’re sorry for not inviting you, Veronica. We had a limited budget for the wedding and had to cut a lot of the attendance.” Dawn said kindly. 

“If he hadn’t run off to Boston, Nathaniel would have had enough money for any wedding you could want,” Henry stated flatly. 

“O-Kay,” George said. “What have you two been up to since I saw you last?”

“Well, actually, we had something we wanted to tell you,” Dawn initiated, looking at Nathan. Nathan’s eyes widened and he shook his head slightly. Dawn nodded in response, urging him on. 

“Okay, yeah. Dawn and I are actually expecting.” Nathan said. He watched his family’s reactions. Veronica stiffened along with his mother. Mia smiled and clapped her hands together quietly while George lifted his drink in a toast. Henry stared at Nathan for a few moments, but never said anything.

“Well,” Evelyn began. “Isn’t that...wonderful.” 

Dawn smiled at her encouragement, but the room became tense.

“Mr. Marrow.” A man poked his head in from the kitchen. “The food is ready, would you like me to bring it out?” 

“Yes, Mr. Rochester, that would be fine.” Henry said. Three women and Mr. Rochester began bringing plates, drinks, and platters of food. Dawn smiled at Nathan as a woman laid plates in front of them. She began to pour Dawn wine, but Dawn declined politely. 

“This looks lovely ladies, thank you,” George spoke and began piling food on his plate.

“Thank you, Mr. Rochester,” Veronica commented as he placed a plate in front of her. 

Dawn began to reach for a spoon on the platter in front of her, but Nathan placed a hand on her arm. When she looked up at him, she noticed Henry waiting with his hands in his lap. Dawn understood and sat back. Once the food was on the table and the servants had gone, Henry began serving himself. Everyone followed, passing around the dishes.

“Nathaniel,” Henry began as everyone ate. “How do you plan on running the business while raising a child?”

“Actually dad.” Nathan sat his fork down. “I don’t plan on it..”

“What do you mean you don’t ‘plan on it’?” Henry’s voice was baited with anger. 

“I mean, I want no part in it.” Nathan felt as though he had finally found his voice.

“I won’t have it. You are the second born son, you will be the head of this family when I am gone,” Henry spat. 

“No, I won’t,” Nathan argued back.

“Yes, Nathaniel, you will!” Henry slammed a hand on the table and everyone jumped. 

“Maybe the money would be good for us, Nathan,” Dawn offered. 

“No, it’s the last thing we need, trust me,” Nathan told her. 

“You don’t know what’s good for you. You ran and broke ties with everything you could’ve had.” Henry shook his head. 

Nathan’s siblings were watching, dumbfounded at Nathan’s bravery, and waiting for their father’s next outburst. Nathan’s jaw tightened and the two locked angry eyes. 

“I like the life I have built. I will not be a part of this family’s games. I got out,” Nathan said. 

“Nathaniel, we’ll talk more about this later,” Henry said. 

The meal was finished in relative silence besides a few questions about the baby by Mia. After all plates had been cleared, the family made their way to the living room. 

Nathan led Dawn to a loveseat while everyone took their seats around them. Henry in his chair, like always. Nathan remembered all the times he had been scolded, perched at the foot of that armchair. 

“So George, what have you been up to?” Dawn asked kindly.

“Oh, not much,” George began and Veronica snickered. He eyed her. “Something funny?” 

“If you deem two rehab trips as ‘not much’ then yes, you haven’t done much lately,” Veronica sneered.

“Veronica, there is no need to speak of that in front of guests.” Evelyn gave her a look. 

“No, no, it’s alright. I have come to terms with who I am.” George smiled and did an exaggerated bow. Dawn glanced at Nathan, feeling as though the bickering was her fault, but he just shook his head as if saying it’s alright. 

“Nathaniel, a word. Join me in my study?” Henry asked, rising from his seat. 

“Yeah.” Nathan stood and followed his father. He glanced at Dawn and she gave him an encouraging smile.

“Dad, I don’t want the job,” Nathan stated, but Henry continued silently. They reached the study and Henry sat at the desk chair, Nathan waiting at the door.

“Sit,” said Henry and he gestured to the seat in front of him. Nathan hesitantly obliged and eyed his father. 

“Nathaniel, why are you so stubborn? Your brother would have wanted you to take over,” said Henry. 

“Benedict was cold and distant, like you. I won’t be that way,” Nathan explained. “I don’t believe there is any ‘greater good’ in it.” 

Henry pursed his lips and narrowed his eyes at his son.

“Who will take over? If you aren’t going to?” He asked.

“Veronica,” Nathan said, offhandedly. “I don’t know.” 

“While Veronica is eager, you are the rightful heir,” Henry stated. 

“Well I don’t want it.” Nathan raised his voice. 

“And why not?” asked Henry. 

“Because I’m not okay with killing people! Because Benedict died!” Nathan shouted and stood from his seat. He strode to the door and was about to open it when Henry began again. 

“Stay the night. Think it over,” he said. “Perhaps the memories of your childhood coming back will bring your senses with them.”

Nathan shifted from one foot to the other, thinking it through.

“Fine,” Nathan stated. He turned and walked out. 

Henry called, “Congratulations on the baby, Nathaniel. I hope it's a boy.” 

Back in the living room Nathan sat with Dawn. 

“We’re staying here tonight, if that’s alright,” he explained. 

“That’s perfect. I was just talking to Mia about — are you alright?” Dawn took his hand. 

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Nathan poured himself a glass of scotch. He swirled the liquid in the glass and got lost thinking about the conversation from before.

“Nathan?” He heard Dawn’s voice shake him from his trance. 

“Huh?” Nathan shook his head. “Sorry, I was just thinking.”

“About?” Dawn questioned.

“It’s nothing. Wanna get our bags?” 

Nathan sat his drink down and the two headed for the car. Once outside, Nathan turned to his wife. 

“Dawn, I need to tell you something,” he said. Dawn raised a quizzical eye. “It’s about the business.”

“Nathan, if it’s good money, don’t you think we should do it. For the baby,” she began. “And if it turns out you don’t like it, you could always quit once we’ve saved up enough.” 

“It isn’t like that,” Nathan explained. “I couldn’t—I wouldn’t be able to just get out.” 

“Why not?” Dawn asked. 

“The family business,” Nathan said. “...the Marrow business, isn’t what you think it is.” 

Dawn nodded, waiting for him to go on. 

“It’s, well, my family… they’re hired assassins.” 

What?” Dawn’s eyes widened and she took a step back. 

“They’ve always been. For centuries. That’s why I ran,” Nathan explained. He reached for Dawn’s hand, but she pulled away, and he let her be. “I’ve never been a part of it.” 

“Nathan…” she said. “I—I don't understand.”

“I can explain everything,” Nathan offered and Dawn waited. “The Marrow business started in the early 1800s. Their assassins and mercenaries made too big of a name for themselves in England, so, my family fled to America.” 

He waited for a reaction, but Dawn seemed to be listening intently. 

“My family had thousands of employees all around the States before the Civil War. They were bringing in more money than ever, but still wanted to expand. In the early 1900s, the Marrows began posing as a bank. Once the Great Depression hit, many employees got jobs as laborers and eventually, only family was left. My great grandfather, Timothy Marrow, settled in New York with his family and built this mansion.”

Dawn glanced at the tall, white pillars, the windows leading up the three stories. 

“The Marrows have resided here since then. The business is more discreet now, but larger. There’s ties everywhere. It’s cruel,” Nathan said, breathless from the revelation. “I have never wanted anything to do with the name or business.” 

“Okay…” Dawn glanced at her husband and saw a new man. His cheeks were flushed and his eyes dark. She couldn’t find the words. “We have to leave.” 

Nathan nodded. “Stay in the car. I have to get my keys.” 

Dawn got in the car quickly. Nathan heard the doors lock as he left. He searched the dining and living room for his keys, but they were in neither. 

“Nathaniel?” a soft voice called from behind him. He turned and Mia was standing in her pajamas.

“Mia.” Nathan wrapped her in a hug. “I’m leaving. For good, this time. Would you like to come with us?”

“Why would you leave? You aren’t taking over and staying here with Dawn?” Mia asked with wide eyes. 

“No, I can’t stay in this family any longer. It’s not right what we do to people,” Nathan explained. Mia stared at him and nodded.

“I don’t like it either,” she admitted. “Let me pack my bag.”

“Okay. Okay,” Nathan breathed out, happy to be taking her from this place. “Oh, Mia?”

She turned back to look at him.

“Have you seen my keys?”

“I think they were in Dad’s study,” Mia said.

“Alright, when your things are ready, go to the car with Dawn.”

Nathan hurried down the hall towards Henry’s study, praying he wasn’t in there. He turned the corner and saw the door was open. His keys were on the desk. Nathan snatched them up and exited. His father was standing there when he turned the corner.

“What are you doing?” Henry asked. Nathan paused.

“Dawn and I need our suitcases.” Nathan rushed to the front door. 

When he was approaching, muffled sounds of someone being sick came from the bathroom. He tapped on the door lightly.

“George?”

“Yeah, it’s me.” The toilet flushed and the knob turned. “Where are you going?”

George slurred and leaned forward. Nathan caught him and took a few steps back.

“Dawn and I are leaving. We’re taking Mia. Are you coming?” Nathan whispered. George smiled and held his brother’s face.

“You’ll need a getaway driver, huh?” He laughed and stumbled towards the door. 

“Don’t you need your things?” Nathan asked.

“No, I don’t have much anymore,” George stated, oddly sober. 

The two made it to the car and Nathan helped his brother in the back. He saw Mia already back there and he hopped in the driver seat. 

“Well?” Dawn asked. 

“Okay,” Nathan said. He started the engine and the four left. Nathan glanced at the house in the rearview mirror. He saw Veronica in her room watching out the window and his mother at the door, standing silently. Henry was nowhere to be seen.

November 28, 2020 03:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.