0 comments

Drama Romance

“I put the camping lanterns by the changing table for tonight,” Rick said to his wife.

           Antonia nursed the still sleepy baby on the couch and looked outside. “Just a few more hours until dark. There’s no chance the power company will restore power today?”

           “I just checked their website. They won’t be able to repair the lines until tomorrow.”

           “That’s just great,” Antonia said. “As if it’s not hard enough taking care of a six-month-old already.”

           Rick surreptitiously studied his wife’s worn face and sagging shoulders. Recovering from a difficult birth and postpartum depression had taken a toll on her and their relationship. Things had finally seemed almost back to normal, as normal as can be expected while adjusting to new parenthood, and now this.

           Finished eating and fully awake, the baby reached toward his father’s face. “Come here, Paul,” Rick said, picking up the baby.

           “His name is Paulu,” corrected Antonia.

           Rick sighed. “I know, I know. I told you everyone would call him Paul.”

           “Paul is not my father’s name. Never mind, it doesn’t matter.” She laid her head back and closed her eyes.

           “Remember the last time we went camping?” Rick said.

           “What?”

           “I was going through our camping gear looking for lanterns and flashlights and I found that small ice chest you tried to store pinecones in. Remember?”

           Antonia smiled. “I had spent all day collecting the most perfect pinecones. When it started raining, I worried about them getting soggy and broken so into the ice chest they went. I was so dumb back then.”

           Rick squeezed Antonia’s knee while Paul kicked at his chest. “It wasn’t dumb. The silver glitter you added to them made beautiful Christmas decorations that year.”

           “Yeah, well. No time for stuff like that anymore.”

           An idea suddenly popped into Rick’s head. Was it crazy? He looked into his son’s blue eyes, considering. Paul was a pretty good sleeper now and only nursed a few times through the night. Yes, it would be fine. Maybe even fun.

           “Plenty of time for stuff like that,” Rick said. He put Paul on a blanket on the carpeted floor. “I’ll be in the garage.”

           “What’re you doing?” Antonia asked.

           “You’ll see,” Rick called over his shoulder.

           An hour later Rick stood in his backyard admiring his makeshift camp. The old tent was a bit battered, but it was very unlikely to rain tonight anyway. He had filled the tent with cozy blankets, flashlights, snacks, and even diapers. Would Antonia like it? Maybe they could have as much fun camping in the backyard as they did their last time camping, minus the rainstorm.

           Might as well go all out, he thought, walking back to the garage. Digging into their deep freezer, Rick pulled out hot dogs and buns. Go-to quick food for when the day becomes unexpectedly chaotic, which happens much more frequently now with a baby, but also great for camping food. He knew they had graham crackers and chocolate; maybe he could scrounge up some marshmallows for s’mores.

           His fingers burning from the frozen food, Rick hurried through the living room into the kitchen. Antonia started to rise from the floor next to Paul.

           “Just a sec,” Rick called, knowing she was curious, as he defrosted the food in the microwave.

           “Ok,” he said, plopping down on the couch. Paul had rolled into the coffee table and was happily kicking its wooden side with his heels.

           “Careful, Paulu.” Antonia pulled Paul away from the coffee table and laid him on his stomach on the blanket. “Tummy time!” Paul promptly rolled onto his back.

           “So what were you doing?” Antonia asked.

           “We’re going to camp out tonight in our backyard!” Rick tried to make this sound fun and exciting, like something they would choose to do anyway and not just because the power was out. And definitely not just because the two of them desperately needed to reconnect.

           “What in the world? With a baby?”

           “Why not? It’s September so it won’t be too cold or hot. We can still come inside for the bathroom and to cook. We have to use flashlights anyway with the power off. Why not?”

           “I don’t know if Paulu will like it. He’s used to sleeping in our bed.” Antonia frowned.

           “He’ll like it. He has an adventurous soul.” Rick gestured to Paul now rolling down the hallway.

Antonia laughed lightly. “You might be right.”

“Come check it out.” Rick picked up Paul and the three of them went into the backyard.

“Wow, you even put out the camp chairs.”

“Sitting around is the best part of camping,” Rick said.

“Not hunting pinecones?”

Rick snapped his fingers. “That reminds me. Come on Paul, let’s get something for Mommy.”

“It’s Paulu,” Antonia muttered.

Rick carried Paul into the garage and grabbed a bag he had pulled out earlier. He carried them both to the backyard and gestured for Antonia to join them inside the tent.

“What do you have there?” Antonia asked.

“Your pinecones.” Rick opened the box to reveal a dozen silvery sparkly pinecone ornaments. “We’re going to hang them from these lantern hooks on the ceiling. We can’t go camping without pinecones.”

They hung the pinecones and laid down on the blankets staring up at them. Rick noticed Antonia’s face and shoulders relaxing as she laughed gently at Paul’s rolling antics. She looked over into Rick’s eyes.

“This is a sweet idea. Thank you,” Antonia said. She reached over Paul and squeezed Rick’s hand. “I know I’ve been difficult the past year but—.”

“No explanation or apology needed,” Rick interrupted.

“I love you so much.”

“Right back at you.”

Antonia sighed happily. “Our first family campout with Paul. I hope he’ll remember the experience if not the details.”

Rick almost sputtered in shock. That was the first time Antonia had called their child Paul. He decided not to mention it and just be happy his wife seemed so relaxed.

“The experience will be a part of him even if he doesn’t remember.”

Just then, thunder roared in the distance. Paul suddenly stopped rolling, his eyes wide and curious. Rick and Antonia looked at each other.

“No way it's going to rain,” Rick said.

“I hope it does rain,” Antonia said. “It’ll be our first family tradition.”

September 11, 2020 12:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.