0 comments

Fiction Fantasy

King Lizt ruled Jook – a land on planet tellus – earth’s twin about 800 years younger, evolving. He was very wealthy as gold was discovered in the area he ruled and was being mined. Lizt was a tall, fair handsome young man who was a bachelor. One day his guards brought before him a middle-aged man who had strayed into Jook.

Lizt asked the man his name and he said “Zero.”

“Where have you come from? What are you?”

“From distant Zygos. I’m a peripatetic philosopher and keep travelling learning whatever there is to learn and teaching people who approach me for knowledge.”

“Why are you in Jook?”

“I was told Jook was a prosperous place and there would be many to learn from me. I don’t charge for my service. If given a place to stay in and food to eat I help people who come to me. The king of Zygos had once provided me a quarter to stay in and I tutored him on many aspects as needed by him. You could ask him.”

“I trust you as you’re a learned man. If I provide for your needs would you stay in Jook for some time?”

“I will. You’ve to allow me to teach others also who seek my knowledge.”

It was agreed to and Zero was provided a place in the king’s mansion. Lizt started being his student from the very next day. The king learnt many topics starting from possible updates on the laws of the land to the Almighty and approaching Him. Lizt recognized Zero to be a man with profound knowledge.

One day after instruction, Lizt said “With my wealth I’ve acquired many valuable articles like diamonds. I’ve a thirst to buy more exotic items like the ebony horse which could fly.”

Zero said “The ebony horse is fantasy. I also know that such a horse had once landed on Rubi Isle. But it disappeared and wasn’t heard of again. It is unlikely it will be available for sale.” Lizt was silent. Zero said “Talking of such items have you heard of a king who possessed a diamond ring which when worn on the finger would render him invisible?” Lizt shook his head. Zero continued “Some even developed a story about the ring: He got his friend to wear it and see the king’s wife unclothed When the queen came to know of it she got the king assassinated. I can guess you would like to buy a ring with such properties.”

Lizt nodded and listened eagerly to Zero. In the course of talk, Zero asked Lizt why he had remained a bachelor but got no response. Zero said “It is good to stay that way as women are perfidious and never truthful.”

Lizt asked “Have you heard of Floria?”

“I was told she is a renowned beauty of this land.”

“Recently she was offered to me in marriage but I haven’t responded.”

“I’ve no belief in women. If I were you, I won’t accept her till I’ve a magic mirror to determine if what all she says is true or false.”

“Is such a mirror available? If so I’ll buy it whatever the cost.”

Zero laughed and shrugged.

Floria, daughter of a wealthy gold miner, had her eye on Lizt. She desperately wanted to marry him but got the news that adviser Zero had asked him to wait till a certain magic mirror was available. She immediately resolved to consult the witch Wizma, a middle aged wise woman and summoned her.

When Wizma came, Floria said “Wizma, I understand that a magic mirror is available which would declare if what one says was true or false.”

“Madam, as far as I know such a mirror doesn’t exist.”

“Rumour has it that the king’s adviser Zero has said it is available and has even sent enquiries to Rubi Isle from where it could be procured.”

“It’s pure fabrication. But I have sources in RI and can confirm the truth.”

“Do it and you get a bonus.”

Two months later Lizt said to Zero “I had enquired from various sources about the availability of a magic mirror. I was told a certain specialist named Spook is coming soon with his truth mirror and will demonstrate its performance. If it is genuine I’m buying it.”

Zero laughed and said “No such mirror exits. I had merely said it for levity. Please don’t be misled.”

“We shall see.”

On a fixed date, Litz and Zero besides Wizma who was a well known, were present for the demonstration of the magic mirror in the royal mansion. There were some other invitees too.

Spook arrived carrying the mirror covered with a cloth curtain. He announced “If the mirror gets fogged at an answer, which only the user can see, it means it is false.”  Spook set the mirror upright on a stand and said to Lizt “Sire, I’ll now start the demonstration. Can I have a volunteer?”

One man stood up and Spook said “I’ll ask questions and you should answer looking into the mirror. Ready? Who are you? What do you do?”

“My name is Luck and I work in gold mine number 4.”

As the reply came Spook looked into the mirror and said “True.”

A young woman next came up and in answer to the same questions she said “I’m Clevia and am a seamstress.”

Spook shouted “False.”

She said “The mirror is right. I’m not a seamstress. I’m a dancer.”

Further testing proved the mirror right. All who were watching were very impressed with the demonstration. So interested were they in it that they didn’t notice that Zero had slipped away. It was assumed he had gone to ease himself. But after a while when he had not returned, there was concern.

Spook said “Sire, Zero is a fraud. True he has good knowledge of law. That is because he had worked as mediator in RI. He was sacked from the post due to corrupt practices. His wife had cheated on him and he had set off travelling as a tutor. With his sound general and spiritual knowledge he had impressed people in Zygos and here too.”

Lizt asked “How did we learn the truth?”

Wizma said “Sire Floria had refused to believe rumours about existence of a magic mirror which could read answers as true or false. At her bidding I had used my contacts in RI and found there was no such mirror. Floria had then hired Spook from RI to expose Zero.”

Lizt realised that Floria was not only beautiful but was intelligent too and love for her flared.

Spook said “There is no such mirror. I had planted people here to be the volunteers with specific answers to my questions. This had convinced Zero that such a mirror existed: He probably feared he could be made to answer.”

Lizt asked “Where is Zero? He seems to have vanished.”

He had indeed!

 Lizt married Floria. She was level headed and tried in vain to influence her husband not to buy exotic new products but realising his nature she said to him “You will never be content”.

END

September 12, 2022 11:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.