0 comments

Fantasy

*BANG* My ears screech the highest pitch noise imaginable. My eyes flick open within a microsecond. Tears stream down the sides of my cheeks with such ferocity that it seems to burn. I look around. Everything's normal. My bulletin board is above my desk, closet closed like it was left before, and recliner was still from the hours dormant during the night. Nothing seemed off rather than the excitable feeling coursing through my nerves. I took a moment to breath and relax. Once calm, I flew the covers back and made my to the living room with a steady pace. No one was around.

"Maybe nobody was home," I thought to myself.

After all, my sister was always at college or a friends house and my mom and dad were working rather often. I look at the time on the microwave and read the numbers with astonishment: 3:45.

"I couldn't have slept for that long," I thought again.

"You did," a voice said from behind me.

"Who-"

*BANG* I've been here before. Everything was the same: board, closet, chair. I couldn't comprehend for a moment what had happened.

"All a dream," escaped from my mouth with a sigh of relief, "It felt so real."

*BANG* I heard it again, but I was already awake this time.

"Gunshot? It can't be," panicking to myself.

I run out of my room this time, bolting to the den. I make a break around the corner, and my dad is sitting on the couch reading a magazine.

"What's the matter son?"

"Oh, I'm sorry dad I thought I heard something."

"The gun?" He remarked.

"Wait, that was real?"

"You are," a voice coming from behind.

There was no noise this time. No screech from ears nor stream of tears greeted me. There was nothing but silence. Oddly enough, my chair was rocking. I debated on my next plan of action. I decided against any movement. I sat there, on my bed, for what seemed like an eternity, slowly breathing, waiting for another event. Nothing had happened. I didn't know what to trust. A knock at the door prompted me to get up and answer. I paused with my hand extended towards the knob, waiting.

"Honey?" my mom called, "Are you up? You've been sleeping a long time!"

I would usually always answer my mother; however, this wasn't usual. Something came over me, and I slowly slump to my floor and close my eyes. I waited.

"Wake up."




February 23, 2020 21:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.