White Tongue Blue Frog

Written in response to: Write a story about a tragic hero.... view prompt

0 comments

Coming of Age Sad Fantasy

"Hear he, hear he! Come one, come all for I have a story to tell. A story of a rare unique frog yet heroic and full of tragedy. Gathering around to listen to the tale of one Fabio the Crane-neck Frog Launcher!"


Unlike most Milk Frogs, Fabio wore blue froggy skin with white birth markings across his body. His tongue was neither blue or teal, for his mouth muscle was actually pure white as a fluffy cloud.


He had no mother nor father for they were eaten by murderous and ravenous cranes once upon an evening. Luckily enough, his parents set little precious infant Fabio down the river before any of the cranes could even notice.


Fabio was scared out of his wits for when the cranes came, there comes rain. For the Lord Almighty himself was sobbing with what Fabio and his folks have endured. With rain, came winds, as Fabio's lily pod and twig basket continue to send him to the unknown.


Little Fabio has to drafting for what felt like days, but turns out it was only until the next morning after the indecent. All had seemed lost for the little guy until his basket hit ashore on the an edge of a swamp . There games voices shouting about. Wondering what was in the basket. These voices opened the frog made basket to find Fabio struggling to survive.


When Fabio saw the folks to had open the baskets, they were a bunch of white tree frogs. All who reside on a ginormous tree close by the swamp's edge. Ones who were accustom for using their mouths to ambush prey. They take him in as their own but eventually grew resistant of the little one.


Not only did his strange appearance (especially at the beginning) took them aback, but so did his antics. That including his retractable tongue. All of them don't require such a tongue and were flabbergasted when Fabio first did it.


Fabio would often feel alone and sad for no kid frogs wanted to play with a abnormal frog. Even the adult frogs wouldn't give Fabio the time and day.


The White Tongue Blue Frog just wanted to be accepted and included that he would often make fibs to get everyone's attention. However, the white tree frogs were rather annoyed with the little frog's fables.


This would then leave Fabio to do his own hobbies by himself. Which included him catching insects with his tongue on the edge of the swamp and nearby the tree. He would catch all kinds of bugs you can think of.


Fabio wasn't a pick eater though which left the white tree frogs often mad considering he was eating the insect population. So instead, he focuses on flowers and dandelions to help pass the time.


One day, when the white tree frogs were plotting out for an ambush for a group of grasshopper nearby, Fabio wanted to help by scouting the area. He at all means to get any hopper in his mouth but he figured he would help assist his community by doing something thoughtful. The white tree frogs declined and demanded for Fabio to stay back. Fabio stayed back defeatedly as eventually later that evening, the white tree frogs went out to their planned ambush.


After 5 hops, the white tree frogs went aways until they all saw the grasshoppers they wish to ambushed. These pesky little grasshoppers were the white tree frogs' natural enemies. Plus they are crunchy and delicious for the taking.


However, that fateful evening came a couple of prying pairs of eyes. For a couple of cranes arrived just moments later after the frogs ambushed the hoppers. There was utter chaos between the Frogs with this unexpected and unwanted visitors. Frogs all screamed as a couple of them were getting eaten.


Thanks to his selective hearing, Fabio heard the cries and hopped as fast he can to his community. Once he arrived, he witnessed what unfolded. He looked upon the cranes and noticed something awfully familiar about them. For these were same cranes who killed Fabio's parents.


Fabio took a step back at first, whimpering as he thought about that dreadful evening. But how community was depending on him and he must overcome his fear.


The White Tongue Blue Frog targets one of the cranes by the nearby. Once he got his aim ready, he shots his white tongue around the crane's neck, and launched himself to it as he kicked right in the face.


The villainous bird and it's friend were pissed at this outcome. They both tried to pick at Fabio but the frog was fast and none but the wiser. He would dodged their sharp beaks while kicking anywhere he can reach to. From the legs, to the faces, to wings and even the heinies. Fabio was quick to his webbed feet.


Inspired by the young one's efforts, the white tree frogs helped assist Fabio as they ambushed the cranes. This left the bird under the pressure for as the frogs untied as one unit, they surely toppled from their prey. Not only that but a lot of the frogs had some fighting spirits as well for a lot of them attacked the cranes while they were prone.


The cranes eventually lifted themselves up but didn't see anything they can do to win. They will have to retreat, at least for now. The white tree frogs cheered for they have won the battle and it was all thanks to Fabio who unfortunately wasn't moving by the time they have noticed.


They try as they will to wake up little Fabio but the little guy won't even blink a eye nor beat a heart. It was at that moment, the community of white tree frogs were ashamed for how they treated the poor fellow. Fabio was no different than them and despite their negligence onto the little guy, Fabio persevered while saving them in the process.


The white tree frogs gave their fallen little one a funeral and yet still mourn the lost of their great fallen hero. One who was later dubbedly named as Fabio the Crane-neck Frog Launcher!


"Moral of the story: accept literally everyone, regardless of their appearance, antics and customs. Also always have a team scout in any given mission because you never know what's out there."

June 28, 2024 21:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.