0 comments

Fiction

It had been twenty-four years since she’d last seen it, but the place looked the exact same. Jane stood in shock as she examined its cobblestone walls and clear river. The garden was still green and full of life. Colorful flowers dot the green ground. Vines hung and dug into the crevices of the wall. The big tree stuck in the middle was just as big as it was all that time ago.

She looked into the water and saw her blond hair and blue eyes. Her freckles were also visible, anlong with the earings her mother had given her. The red stripes on her face stood out the most. Bright red and bold.

She cupped some water in her hands and washed them off. She needed some time to herself. This garden is where she would come all the time when she was young and her parents fought. It was quiet. Nothing was here but her. The birds sung their songs and anthems. The fish went about their day like nothing was happening in the world above them.

Jane sat herself next to the great tree. It was clearly very old, and was old twenty-four years ago. She knew she would have to go back to her village in a few hours. Her family would need supper and the mayor would need her advice on what to do about the other town. Their nation was sure to also be planning something.

They were rivals ever since it happened. Ever since they found out what was killing all their people. Three years ago, the apocalypse that was told in many tales had become true.

An insect that could infect plants, like fruit trees and grains. When someone ate an infected plant, they would too become infected. The most someone ever lasted was two weeks. The only reliable source of food was closely monitored animals, like cattle. Grass was safe, so they could graze in peace. They could also try and grow food and keep it decontaminated, but that is much more difficult. Meat and dairy were the most consumed food, and it was getting scarce.

The village and town were the only safe haven for miles. They had some food and a good amount of medics to try and treat the ill, but someone was going to run out of food eventually, and both had a plan of attack against the other in case it came down to that.

Jane had a lovely family now. Her husband, Ryan, and their three kids, Amber, Luke and Hope. Her mother passed away two years ago to the infection, and she had no clue where her father was. He left when she was very young. She was determined for her kids to have a better childhood than she’d had, but she was already losing them. Amber was old enough to attend an academy that taught them everything everyone knew. Jane only saw her once a month. Luke would be attending the school next year. Hope is only two years old. She was named as a light of hope in the darkness.

Jane held onto the locket given to her by her husband. Inside contained a picture of all of them. She closed her hand and held it to her heart. The tunnel of the future was getting darker and darker with each passing day. The mayor is certain there will be a battle soon. The town sounds close to the end of their food supply.

Jane stood herself up and started walking for the door when she heard something. The sound of footsteps echoed through the cobblestone walls. She dove behind the great tree and hid to see who it was. In walked a man. He was about her age with long brown hair. He was quite skinny which proved her point on their food supply. He also had blue striped across his face and arms, much like she had. He was from the town. The one they feared.

He glanced at his reflection in the water just like she had. He knelt next to it and stayed there for a bit. Jane contemplated her options. She could try and get out, and risk being seen, or she could stay for however long he stayed for and leave after him, but it was already getting late and he could poke around behind the tree and see her. She had to do something.

She decided to make a run for it. She made a dash to the far wall, when she tripped. The noise made the birds stop their calls and everything fell quiet. She got up with a mouthful of dirt and knowing full well that the man had seen her. She stood up and saw him looking right at her.

“Who are you and where are you from?” He took a few steps toward her. He said it quiet enough that it didn’t sound threatening, but no one with blue stripes can be trusted.

“None of your business. I just will leave and get out of your way.” He can’t know where she’s from the village. He will report her to their leader, or hold her hostage. The possibilities are endless to what he might do.

“You are from the village, right? I haven’t ever seen you before.” He looked kind, but Jane knew to trust no one. “You don’t have your stripes. You need to have stripes if you are to leave. What are you doing here?”

“Again, none of your business. I will leave you to do what you want, if you let me go without a fight.” She paused, and looked into his eyes. They were a deep green, almost like emerald. “Fine. I’m a villager. You’re a townsfolk. We aren’t meant to be talking right now. can I leave?”

“Not without you telling me why you’re here. This is a place not many know about, and I need you to know how you found it.”

“I stumbled upon it while out for a stroll. I was just about to leave when-”

“That’s a lie. This cave is very hidden to the naked eye. You would have to been looking for it.” The man crossed his arms in frustration. “I won’t be mad, I just want to know, and you’re not leaving till you say.”

Jane gave in. “I used to come here when I was a little girl. I wanted to come back to see if it changed. Thats that honest truth.”

He looked at her, then looked at the wall and said, “My name is Brian. I also used to come, and I still do often.”

Jane looked at him and offered her name. “I’m Jane.”

Brian shrugged. “Can you not tell your leader you saw me today? I will be killed for talking to you.”

“I was going to ask you the same thing. I was never here. I just went out for a walk.”

Brian smiled and sat down. “Don’t accidently find a cave on your way back. According to you it’s fairly easy.”

Jane went home and hugged her husband and two children. She put some steak stew on and sat down in the living room with Hope asleep on her lap. No matter what happened between the two civilizations, she had friends and family,

… and that was all that mattered.

November 19, 2020 22:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.