The list of a man out of time

Written in response to: Write a story in the form of a list.... view prompt

2 comments

Fantasy Historical Fiction Sad

Written by Abad Potter on 31.12.1911


What I want to do in 1912 1913 1914

1926

1937 1939

1941 1942 1945

1951

1969

1978

1984 1985

1993

1997

1999

2000 2001

2005

Up until I die (wich could take ages)


Note from 2005: It took, in fact, a century. I should start betting with the accuracy of my throw away lines


- move to America ✔️ (why did THIS had to work)

- try a cigarette ✔️ (disgusting. I understand why Mummy never allowed me to)

- get heavier (at least 15 pounds) ✔️

- watch a movie ✔️ (All for a girl)

- save money to make a family picture

- find Dasi

- look for a higher paying job ✔️

- get into a relationship ✔️ (even two!!!)

- try to reconnect with rest of family ✔️ ( I tried)

- go back home

- avoid being drafted ✔️

- watch at least three movies ✔️ (after the Welsh rabbit, Atlantis, Back to life)

- get friends ✔️

- get into a relationship ✔️ (Janet)

- move out of New York ✔️

- learn another language ✔️ (just a bit spanish)

- find a home

- avoid be drafted for the war (again) ✔️ (seriously, how they are even calling it? The greater war?) Okay, nevermind

- move to the countryside ✔️

- find a home

- check who is alive ✔️ (Daisy, still don't know where she is; Faouzi, Scotland; Uncle Achmad, France; Sanna (cousin), Afghanistan)

- touch a cow ✔️ (her name was Susie and there was never a sweeter thing in the world)

- read "The hobbit" ✔️ (kind of boring)

- learn how to sing

- try to find Dasi ✔️ (it was already too late)

- move to a new town ✔️

- make it your home ✔️ (because of Charlotte)

- eat in a dinner ✔️ (with Charlotte)

- go rollerskating ✔️( with Charlotte)

- watch a movie ✔️ (with Charlotte)

- go to a Beatles concert ✔️

- styles to try: Hippie ✔️ (felt good, but the fashion was too weird. Sorry)

Punk ✔️ (cool aesthetic, liked the political stuff. May do more stuff)

Goth

- eat a strawberry cake ✔️ (Dasi would've loved it)

- buy a car

- switch town ✔️

- enroll in High school ✔️ ("hell is other people- but so is the absent of them" - me in my best English essay, still got a D)

-get friends

- read two books ✔️ (Harry Potter - the Philosophers stone and Pride and Prejudice)

- go to a concert ✔️ (ABBA, best decision in my life so far)

- go to another country

- make yourself a home

- get friends

- eat something weird ✔️ (a Orange with Chili and Spanish Tomatoesoup. That qualifies as weird, right?)

-visit New York again ✔️(it's so much bigger now. It looks like "Metropolis)

- visit LA again ✔️ (still is the same ngl)

- visit Alaska again ✔️ (a coward would say they look same. Which is kind of true, but this person would make also the most untrue statement of the century (I can proudly say that). The wind tastes different and the water smells funny and that's how you can tell that Alaska has changed) (okay sorry wtf was that)

- get a dog or a cat

- use a computer and try to find out what they do ✔️

- research about family ✔️

- draw a family potrait

- spend a ton of money ✔️

- try emo style

- visit another country

- make a dumb century joke ✔️

- live every month in a new town ✔️ (in October I even moved to three different towns)

- continue High school ✔️ (why do I keep doing that. It's pretty pointless, considering that I keep going for like ten, twenty years or something and my grades still don't improve)

- go to a concert ✔️ (Britney Spears, ACDC, David Bowie)

- research of family ✔️ (I should probably stop that. It's just voluntary torture)

- visit New York (gladly not. 2001 is the wrong time for an Arab to be there)

- watch a documentary about the 20th century ✔️ (it was weird, cuz I lived through the whole thing lol)

- move to a new country

- go back home

- stay at the Thomson's ✔️

- avoid this Dawoud's girl

- buy Arthur a Lego set ✔️

- cook for Sandra ✔️

- be kinder ✔️

- try to ignore your past (the name is ok. Obviously. But no daydreaming about the past, no family research. It's been a century) (okay this aged like bread)


Note:


I don't know what to write, honestly. This bloody list haunts me for like nearly a hundred years. I achieved most things on this list. Some of them never came true.

Now that my curse is broken and I've become a mortal man again, I will probably stop using this list. We have smartphones now, after all.


And for every nosey historian:this is, of course, all fiction. I'm just a wacky dude who writes fictional to do lists, deal with it.


Sincerely,


Abad Potter, 12. 31th. 2005



(Digital notes of Abad Potter, 12. 31th. 2005


When there is one thing I know since I'm 55, then it is that to do lists are utterly pointless. You always forget them throughout the year and before you realize it, the year is over and you didn't thought about what you wanted at the beginning of it.


Here's the thing: If you really want to do something, you'll to it regardless of the list.


But because I'm a old man, I still want to write something. But not a to do list for the next year, but for the rest my life.


- Never forget who came before you and never ignore the ones who have to live in the future you make (say: don't try to ignore your past ever again, you bloody donkey)

- Weakness is the price for love. Of course no friend can hurt you, if you don't have any friends. But on the other hand there will be no one to love you. And is that really worth it (answer: no. I tried that already)

- Life is precious. Don't waste your time and more importantly : have fun. The only thing worse than wasting your time is have a miserable meaningless life


In hopes I'll never forget that.


Abad Potter)



December 27, 2023 21:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Michał Przywara
03:29 Dec 30, 2023

Interesting - has a kind of stream of consciousness feel to it. So it seems Abad has some kind of curse, where he lives unusually long, or perhaps doesn't even age. But, that curse sounds like it's now over. His life seems one of disappointment, but by the end, he has some deeper insights. Maybe a contrast between superficial pursuits, vs deeper things that truly matter. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Mia Klausa
18:01 Dec 30, 2023

Thanks for reading! The curse is indeed very metaphorical (because I feel like it lol). Maybe you'll find out what it stands for!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.