2 comments

General

Today was supposed to be a special day.


It's not every day you turn into an adult. Well, I guess a legal adult. Adults know how to file taxes, work in big corporate offices to make a living, and just be independent. I don't know how to save money or buy a house, so I guess a legal adult is good enough.


All that shouldn't matter, though. It's still my special day, but it hasn't been all that special. It's just me. Alone. Sitting on the balcony in this rickety wheelchair. No cake, no presents, no celebration. Just me.


"Stop moping! You look like a dork!" outside my backyard, rumbling as loud as balls, was a very familiar-looking truck.


"Mercy? What are you doing here?" I yelled out, shocked at seeing the truck drive into my backyard. She pulled up right under the balcony before shutting off the engine.


"What do you mean, 'what am I doing here?' It's your birthday, which means we gotta celebrate!" The head of blue hair got out of her father's truck, struggled her way onto the roof of her car. She brought a basket along with her.


"I thought you had to spend the week at your aunts' cabin for a family reunion?"


"Damn hot wheels, it's like you ain't too happy to see your girlfriend. I spiked the punch at dinner, so my dad got drunk enough to not even care when I asked him for his keys." She stood on top of the car, getting as close as she could to me. I felt a small ping of hurt when she couldn't reach, there was nothing more I wanted to do than hold her hand.


"Why don't you come in?"


"And risk getting caught by your mom on your camera? I love you and all, but I rather not get arrested again for trespassing." I had to let a laugh out about that one, even though I still feel horrible about getting her arrested. I still don't understand what her problem is. She doesn't care about most things about me, but my romance life is apparently the one thing she cares about.


"What's in the basket?" I asked, my curiosity getting the better of me. Mercy's eyes lit up as she pulled out a six-pack.


"Everyone has to have a drink on their eighteenth birthday," She took a bottle and started taping it around a long stick she pulled out of the back of the truck, using it to deliver the bottle to me. It took some good elbow grease to take it off the stick and get the cap off the neck.


"How did you even get this in the first place? You don't turn eighteen for another month!" Mercy shrugged while getting herself a bottle, taking a swig as if she did it every weekend. Who am I kidding, of course, she has done it before. Mercy was a force to be reckoned with, and I love feeling that force.


"I borrowed my sister's ID. She won't notice that's it's gone until tomorrow, and there is nothing she can do about it then." Mercy shot a smile at me. I could never tire of her smile. The liquor tasted weird, but it wasn't the worst. Honestly, it was probably something I could get pretty used too.


"You did this all for me?" Mercy stood back up and leaned towards the balcony as much as she could without falling.


"Of course, I did my hot wheels. Today is important, and I want to be there for you." She looked down at the roof of the car before giving a huff. "I wish it wasn't like that scene from Romeo and Juliet."


"I like it, makes it feel more romantic." I'm pretty sure that my cheeks were starting to blush up.


"Ooh. If that's the case, I'll be you're Romeo for as long as you like." Mercy shot me a seductive smirk before turning serious. "Your legs hurting today?" I can't help but sigh at the reminder.


"Yeah. The flare-up today was too much to bear. I wish I could come down and see you." Mercy seemed to notice my disappointment, telling me that its all alright. It was a sweet reminder that she would never complain about my lack of mobility from time to time.


"Where is your useless mother at?" 


"Out with her new boy toy."


"The boy toy I met last week?"


"Nope. Newer." Mercy shot me a glum look while I just laughed it off. After so long, it gets pretty easy to get used to it. I am always alone in this house, but my mother somehow still gets the last say about what I do.


"Wow. She sucks more balls than my sister does. Impressive." 


"Mercy! I did not need that mental image in my head!" It was already created in my head, forever ingrained into my memory. That was just ew. While I was cringing, all Mercy could do was laugh.


"It's the harsh truth, you gotta except that fucker." She downed another swig, emptying her bottle in quite an impressive time. "That was some good stuff. I guess I'll be spending the night here.


"My mom will lose her mind when she sees the car in the backyard."


"Well, your mom is just going to have to suck it up because I ain't going nowhere." My heart was fluttering once again, or at least I hope it just felt like it. I'm sure I'm way too young to be having a heart attack. "Have you ever thought about ditching this place?"


"Are you kidding me? I can't wait for the day I can leave this place behind, it's just not that easy. I'm not suited to live independently, so I'm pretty sure I'm chained to my mother." It was agonizing to think about, but it was better to stay realistic than to disappoint myself, chasing dreams.


"We graduate in a couple of months," Mercy started, quite ominously as well. "My mom set me up with a bank account I get access to after my graduation. We could get away, rent an apartment in the city with more elevators than you could ever dream of."


"Are you being serious?" Mercy nodded, her smile softening.


"We can both get out of here, escape this hellhole. I can pursue writing, and you can pursue drawing. It's like a match made in heaven. Would you come with me?"


"That money was a gift from your mother, I don't want to take your future away from you."


"I don't want a life unless you are in it. Whatever my future is, I want you to be apart of it." Mercy wore a face of emotion that I haven't seen in her before. Her eyes lit up, mirroring the look of the saddest puppy I have ever seen.


"I want you to be in my future too. You are the best person in my life." Mercy pushed her hands through the bars of the balcony guards and reached her hand as far as she could. I reached my hand out as far as my wheelchair permitted.


"This could be the best thing we have done. Please tell me you will think about it." 


"'l'll do you one better." I offered up my best smirk and winked at her. "I will go with you."


"A wise decision." It was hard to see in the dark, but I thought I could see some tears in her eyes. I couldn't blame her; I could feel them in my eyes, as well. She grabbed herself another bottle of booze and raised it up. "A toast?" I lifted my bottle along with hers.


"A toast to our future!" 


April 24, 2020 06:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Eian Wright
03:12 Apr 25, 2020

This was a really sweet story. The gradual build up was very nicely executed. It gave tidbits of info here and there. About the mom, the girlfriend, the legs, and finally running away. Never overloading with information. Great description as well. The first person was done very well. I loved it. Keep it up!

Reply

Lynn Penny
18:11 Apr 25, 2020

Thanks! I had a ton of fun writing it. Your support means so much to me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.