22 comments

Mystery

Everyone's favorite thing to talk about is "The Monster". I don't understand what the big deal is. So, there's a monster. What's so bad about a monster?

One thing that no one knows, though, is if it's a human or a creature. What do you think? You've heard of it, haven't you? Most likely.

If it is a human, then they must have some messed up things inside of their head. If it's a creature, then it's kind of fine. Just because it's a creature and it might come from a savage species.

The government has been looking for The Monster for years now. At first they just thought it was a rumor, but then when a woman found a dead woman in her swimming pool, on the tile, in the woman's blood, was HA! I AM THE MONSTER! That's why we call The Monster The Monster.

Most people say that it's a man, but what if it's a woman? What if she has some grudges? Stereotype. That's all people do; stereotype people. I do it, too, but not as harshly. And don't lie, you do it, too. Everyone does.

I have been trying to help the government find The Monster, but to no avail. It's annoying, really, how we're just going in circles. Like, come on! You're the government, shouldn't you be able to track down a monster that has killed people?

That's another thing. The Monster has killed so many people, always writing "I am The Monster" in their blood. He/she never does it in the same place twice, either. They'll go multiple times in the same state, but never twice or more in the same city.

He must have some kind of principle. I guess even The Monster has some rules. Another "rule" (that's what we call them now) that The Monster has is that he will never go without writing "I am The Monster" in the victims blood. I guess he/she just wants the government to know that it's him/her doing this.

I am personally not scared of the monster. I mean, what if it is just a human that has problems? Very serious problems, but just problems? I've known a couple of people that have had to go to mental hospitals before.

You see? There are so many possibilities. It could be anyone, anything, and they could have any problem.

Your mom.

Your dad.

Your sister.

Your brother.

Your kid.

You.

As you can see, there are endless possibilities as to who it could be. I'm not afraid, but you should be. That's just the kind of person, you are, right? You just do whatever everybody else tells you? So if I tell you to be afraid, you would be, right?

To never look behind you?

To abandon your family?

To go into the woods and stay the night?

I thought so. You'd do anything anybody else tells you. So pathetic! I guess I'm the only reasonable and smart person left. Unless I've tricked myself into believing that. Do you think so?

A lot of people are so obsessed with The Monster that they'll pretend that they've seen him/her and try to describe it, and do a horrible job. For example : "It was a huge thing, with lots of spikes on it, and huge, sharp teeth! And it was about to eat me whole! But I got away in time. I thought I was going to die! And it was probably twenty feet tall!" Stupid, right?

I had a wife. Her name was Kiki. I loved her. But The Monster got her. That was the person he/she decided to get in our city. I was devastated, but The Monster had taken his strike, and there was no getting her back.

In my opinion, I believe that The Monster is being forced to do this. That he/she is harmful, but does not want to be. That there is some type of group or organization that he/she joined and now cannot get out of it. Most people disagree with me. But Kiki didn't.

Kiki was the most beautiful woman that I had ever seen. She had blond hair that flowed down her shoulders in waves. Those chocolate brown eyes. They were always kind.

She was taken by The Monster while we were hoping to have a baby. But everything went all wrong.

She had gotten up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, so I was awake, too. That's when The Monster got her. When I found out what had happened, I started bawling my eyes out. She was my love.

I ended up moving to another city and getting remarried. We were able to have a child, and we named her Kiki. I thought it was odd, but it was Chelsey (my wife) that suggested it.

2 years. That's how long it took for The Monster to strike on our town. I was on a business trip, and when I found out, I took the plane straight home. Luckily, it wasn't Chelsey or Kiki.

I loved them so much. I know this sounds selfish, but I believe that I loved them more than (my wife) Kiki. They handled my anger better, whereas Kiki would get very upset. Chelsey and Kiki would just settle me down.

Kiki looked just like me, just a girl. We especially had the same facial expressions. Whenever Chelsey took a picture of us together, she would say smile or silly face, and we'd always do the same thing. Boy, when I'm gone, I am going to miss that.

Different from the people who fake it, I know what The Monster looks like. I have seen one of its attacks. It was mortifying, but I couldn't tear my eyes away.

This is my last paragraph. I am The Monster. You cannot hide from me. You cannot get rid of me. You are never safe. You know, I wouldn't recommend turning around right now, most of my victims aren't in pain if they don't look.

May 18, 2020 17:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

22 comments

Muntaha Inaya
10:38 Mar 26, 2024

This. Is. Wonderful. You have true talent! It's a great plot and uses the prompt well. I reckon that if you use a little bit more description and show not tell to end it it will be even better. But all in all, i love ur humour and irony! Also i love this because of the dark humour as well. Keep up the great work! PS. I'm rlly sorry if my comments offended u.

Reply

19:03 Mar 26, 2024

Thank you so much for the feedback!! I really appreciate it. No they didn’t at all, I love constructive criticism :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eman Ahmed
10:44 Apr 25, 2022

Great job. An amazing plot. Your narrative style kinda gives away the end. If u would have a taken a descriptive approach, the story would have been better. All in all it is very engaging story. Keep it up !!! Ps: I hope u don't mind my comments.

Reply

04:34 May 30, 2022

Thank you so much, especially for the advice on how to improve! Of course not! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
02:58 Sep 21, 2020

Oh boy, i really liked what you did with this prompt and i really liked what the secret had been ^^ I guess this was a bit of horror then so you did great with it, if i tried it would probably be terrible tbh, most of mine are. 10/10 :)

Reply

00:23 Sep 22, 2020

Thanks so much! And no, your stories aren't.

Reply

B. W.
00:27 Sep 22, 2020

aw you think so?

Reply

00:29 Sep 22, 2020

Yes!

Reply

B. W.
00:30 Sep 22, 2020

but why?

Reply

00:31 Sep 22, 2020

Because your stories are awesome!?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kathleen March
21:57 May 27, 2020

Interesting, but if you tighten up the style, it could have more impact. More show, less tell. Keep at it!

Reply

01:39 May 28, 2020

Thank you so much for the tip! I will definitely work on that. Thank you again and stay safe! -Brooke

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:01 May 19, 2020

Lol there's both a thriller and a little irony/dry humor I could sense in this piece. It kept me interested to the end. Good job. :-)

Reply

00:03 May 19, 2020

Thank you, Cynthia! Stay safe! -Brooke

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Christopher G
18:04 May 18, 2020

Very well written! I thoroughly enjoyed the story! :)

Reply

18:08 May 18, 2020

Thank you, Christopher! Stay safe! -Brooke

Reply

Christopher G
18:24 May 18, 2020

You too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.